PDA

View Full Version : CRF to push feed please HELP!!!

Pages : [1] 2

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I am planning a build with my model 11 in 300wsm I want to change it to a 6.5x284 for my girl friend. right now it is a CRF how hard will it be to change to a push feed and what parts will I need to swap out, besides the bolt head? is it even possible to swap it out? I already have the barrel ordered and need to figure it out soon before the barrel is already finished. Thanks Jay ???

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Someone here should be able to answer your question but my suggestion would be to have the barrel reamed to the uber-cool 6.5 WSM and keep the CRF bolthead and ejector.
I prefer the standing ejector in the CRF models to the plunger in the PF boltheads.

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
That is another option that has crossed my mind, how available is the dies and reamers and would you use 270 wsm brass and neck them down? so many questions and options and yet not enough money.lol

03mossy
06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
I switch my model 11 in 270wsm over to .204ruger. All you need to do is to remove the standing ejector and swap in the new push feed bolt head and a regular firing pin assembly. There are two firing pin assembly's- a magnum and a regular. I also switch the internal box mag and follower.

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 10:52 PM
That is another option that has crossed my mind, how available is the dies and reamers and would you use 270 wsm brass and neck them down? so many questions and options and yet not enough money.lol

Grafs has a Lee FL set for ~$30 in stock and 4-dproducts.com has the reamer in stock for rental. Also $30.

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks nsaqam, I have spent the last hour and a half researching the 6.5/270 wsm and already found the reamer on 4-d, and was just looking for some dies, so what kind of velocity wood I be looking at with a 142 grain jlk vld? just curious, thanks jay

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks nsaqam, I have spent the last hour and a half researching the 6.5/270 wsm and already found the reamer on 4-d, and was just looking for some dies, so what kind of velocity wood I be looking at with a 142 grain jlk vld? just curious, thanks jay

With the right powders and a 24" tube you'd be looking at 3200 and many powders would get you to the mid 3100's.

Potent stuff!

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
wow, its gonna be a 26" pipe. how hard is it to neck down the 300wsm to 264? i have never wildcatted but the more im learning about the 6.5 wsm the more im leaning to it!

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
With a 26" tube you'll be in the high 3200's!

You can use either .270 WSM or .300 WSM brass. Both are just a single pass through the FL die but I'd lean towards the .270 brass to avoid neck thickness issues.

Like I said, UBER-COOL!

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
The cartridge is also referred to as the 6.5 Rock.

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
alright I have made up my mind, The ROCK it is, I won a barrel from CBI at a shoot I was at last month and they are building it now, I will have my Gunsmith re-cut the chamber to the rock. man now Im really excited, Its the light varmit contour 26" The action Has already been blue printed and its going in a B&C Medalist that we are going to inlet for the bottom metal and on top will be A Huskemaw blue diamond 5x20 in Talley rings milled to 20 moa, wow this is Gonna be so COOL! With that kind of velocity and the High BC of that bullet Man I Know I will get 1100 yards out of 1 reveloution of the turret. Thank you so much for the input. Jay ;D

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Sounds like an extra nice build you have going.

Be sure to have your 'smith throat the chamber specifically for the 142 JLK to kiss the lands at a length which will function through your mag.

You may have to rent a throating reamer to do this unless your 'smith has a suitable 6.5mm throater.

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Ya I might just call CBI tomorrow and have them not cut the chamber at all just send the blank, that way I know it will be cut to the cartridge.

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Ya I might just call CBI tomorrow and have them not cut the chamber at all just send the blank, that way I know it will be cut to the cartridge.

That is a superb idea.

bowhunter42
06-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I actually just sent them an E-mail asking just for the blank.

nsaqam
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
If the threading isn't done and the shank is big enough you could even go nutless on this thing.

Lotta people like the nut and it is nice in some ways but nutless really classes up these rifles IMO.

ellobo
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Lotta people like the nut and it is nice in some ways but nutless really classes up these rifles IMO.

If I wanted a "classy" Remington I would buy a Remington.

El Lobo

nsaqam
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM

If I wanted a "classy" Remington I would buy a Remington.

El Lobo

You find me a LH SS SA Remington 700 then.

You can't because they never made one.

But I can put a proper shouldered barrel on my LH SS SA 16 and have a classy rifle. Especially if it's placed in a sweet McMillan EDGE Savage Classic.

ellobo
06-21-2012, 06:35 PM
If that is your preference by all means go for it. But I for one see no problem with the nut as an aesthetic detriment. By the way, have you looked the the AuctionArms website? I saw many left hand models on there among the dozens someone (obviously a dealer) had listed. Might be a way to get the left hand action you want for reasonable money. I do have empathy for you nutless left handers ::)

El lobo

bowhunter42
06-21-2012, 06:55 PM
well its all set, the dies are ordered and CBI has replied that they will thread and crown but not cut the chamber. my smith has an account with 4d so the reamer will be here when the barrel is. I have already been doing some load data, and cant wait tell I can get this build going for my "girlfriend" she asked me last night if the rifle was still gonna be hers,Lol i said of course it is honey, tho I may shoot it every now and then.LOL I really want to thank you nsaqam for steering me in this direction. Jay..... Ps I like the look of the nut and as hot as this round is I might have to change barrels every few months.LOL