PDA

View Full Version : McGowen

Pages : [1] 2

CRAMER
06-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I ordered a barrel from savage-barrels.com on Feb. 22 and the site stated there was an 8 to 10 week lead time, not a huge deal. On May 22 I sent Savage-barrels.com an email to them asking about the status of my barrel, and I got this back from X-Caliber Barrels LLC.....

"I just got off the phone with McGowen and they said that the first barrel that they made for your order was rejected and that the replacement is now in their lapping department, should be in gunsmithing within the next week."

While I am glad that any defect was caught in QC it makes me wonder what went wrong. So while I am waiting on the second barrel I recieved this email from Savage-barrels.com yesterday June 16.

"According to McGowen your order was to be shipped yesterday, then they informed me that they had used the wrong material on the muzzle brake. Your barrel is blued and should have received a chrome moly muzzle brake, but according to them they didn't discover that it was stainless until they blued everything and the brake being stainless won't blue. I can ship it out with the stainless brake or it could be next Friday before they are ready to ship it again as they only blue on Fridays. I saw the barrel with the stainless brake on it and it actually looks okay, kind of a two toned affect. Let me know what you would like to do."

At this point I am getting frustrated but replied that I would wait for them to get the blued brake done. I am in no way trying to "Bash" McGowen, Savage-barrels.com, or X-Caliber Barrels LLC. I am a little confused on the variety of companies that seem to be involved though. Has anyone ran into anything like this before. Would love to hear some input.

Dennis
06-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I personally order from McGowen with no middle men!

So far I have recieved 10 barrels with "NO" issues at all! I did have one where the barrels nut was tight on the threads and sticking, but a little common sense corrected this issue in about 3 minutes! 10 barrels . . . I have won 3 overalls this year with my McGowen's and several friends are ordering them because of this! In one of the matches, three of us placed, all using McGowens!

Not taking up for McGowen, but I know they had to go to a double shift due to the amount of barrels their selling! It's a good problem to have, but they told me they were going to set a limit on the barrels produced per month just to control quality!

I keep using them as all of my barrels shoot sub MOA with ease, even my 338 edge!

As far as the muzzle break, that's up to you! Many put a stainless barrel on a blued action! I am in the process of doing this now! They only thing I will state if I were using this as a hunting rifle, I would want all of it blued! Otherwise it wouldn't matter to me! JMO

CRAMER
06-17-2012, 08:49 PM
This is my first experience with aftermarket barrels so it is really just me wanting what I paid for on principle. Plus it will be a hunting rifle and I would prefer all blued. I am not doubting the quality of the barrel but you know what they say about first impressions. I can't wait to get it and try it out.

Jamie
06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I personally order from McGowen with no middle men!

Exactly, order straight from Mcgowen. None of mine have ever been late or wrong. Remember the game they made you play at some point when you were a kid about whispering in one persons ear and then 10 people later you have a complete different sentence? Same thing still happens when we all get bigger.

ig25
07-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I order mine in may with no word yet. not worried at this point but hunting season is around the corner

CRAMER
08-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Mine came in early July
After all that waiting I still havent headspaced it.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

ig25
08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
I odered from savage barrels and received my in 12 weeks.. sorry your having trouble

sparky123321
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Go with a Shilen SS Select Match from Northland and you'll never look back.

ig25
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
this is what a McGowen barrel will do at 200 yrds if your order wouldn't have got all jacked up.(sorry by the way)
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac190/ig25/300%20rum/IMAG0409_zps6ef55e60.jpg
this is 30 rounds into break in and load development. I really hope you get thing straightin out. My barrel got misplaced for 2 weeks but one email later it was shipped. .

baxsom
09-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I odered from savage barrels and received my in 12 weeks.. sorry your having trouble

I am going on week 8 for mine. Status update from them says it should be here by the end of this week. Im not holding my breath

D Crockett
10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I personaly would never order another barrel from Mcgoween. I ordered a 7tcu barrel it came in around 8 to 12 weeks which is ok with me. what was not ok with me was the finish in the barrel. looked like the last 4 inches was sticking out of the finish and left a long v where you could see 2 differend shades of collor on it. second the barrel was full of rusty shaveings should of never left Mcgowen that way. third I paid extra to have my barrel laser etched with a skull of a dear head on it. I did not get that nore did I get a refund on that eather.so that is my experance with Mcgowen . D Crockett

joe h
10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I personaly would never order another barrel from Mcgoween. I ordered a 7tcu barrel it came in around 8 to 12 weeks which is ok with me. what was not ok with me was the finish in the barrel. looked like the last 4 inches was sticking out of the finish and left a long v where you could see 2 differend shades of collor on it. second the barrel was full of rusty shaveings should of never left Mcgowen that way. third I paid extra to have my barrel laser etched with a skull of a dear head on it. I did not get that nore did I get a refund on that eather.so that is my experance with Mcgowen . D Crockett

after my current dealings with mcgowen i would never order another from them. talk about a messed up order and crappy customer service, along with no quality control...

vegas steve
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
mcgowen makes a great barrel,but you'll go thru hell to actually receive one.

D Crockett
10-05-2012, 08:43 PM
looks like Joe H and I are in the same boat to tell the truth after I got the gun smith to get it clean I lost all interest in that project and it has turned into a safe queen and I dought that it will ever get to be used unless someone buyes it from me will I ever buy another Mcgowen berral no way I will spend more money to get a barrel from some one else D Crockett

goob
10-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I sent a barrel back for the second time tuesday before last on my dime again. Well yesterday I got an email saying why did I not put a barrel in the tube with my fired caseings and letter. He said the tube was not damaged but no barrel. He said someone from the postal service must have stold it from the tube and taped it back up with grey duct tape just like i used. These folks are some more liars. Then he sent me an email saying he could help me out with a new barrel for the same price they would just put a rush on it. Stay away from these folks. My chamber had a pit and made the bolt hard to open.

joe h
10-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I really don't even want the barrel I've ordered from them now.
Tempted to canceling my order. I still don't have the barrel..
After waiting the full term. They screwed up my order, gave me the wrong twist(in which I said was fine, I'll live with it), they forgot to have it threaded for a muzzle brake. Ok , no big deal. I sent it back to them going on a month now, I've called twice and each time I've called they always say they'll call me back when they get the status on it. Haven't heard back from them yet! Suck @ss quality control, suck @ss customer service, makes ya think "what kind of barrel am I getting into here"?
I'll go with a Shilen from here on out. I think it's better to wait on one of them...

tomme boy
10-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Goob, if you paid with a CC, do a charge back on them.

Dennis
10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Im not the kind to go yapping on the Internet about someone's mistakes

???

Jamie
10-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, I ordered a total of four barrels from them. All four arrived exactly when they said they would, all four were exactly how I wanted them and all four shot really well. Even had next day email traffic every time.

scope eye
10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I am sorry to hear the bad experiences some have had, I personally have had great relationship with them and I'm up to two dozen barrels, yes I have had to send stuff back to correct things but they have always
made good on it, so I'm will gladly continue to do biz with them.

Tanks Dean