PDA

View Full Version : Got my Stockade. Thoughts.

Pages : [1] 2

nsaqam
06-09-2012, 06:18 AM
First of all, can any of you get to Kevin's site?
His old url gets me to Inventive Media now.

Anyway, I just got my first Stockade riflestock (used) and I'm going to post some thoughts on it.
As I suspected it would be, despite assertions to the contrary, it's HEAVY. My Sporter model weighs in at 39.5 ounces. No TG or action screws, but with the Stockade recoil pad.
About that recoil pad. It's not only a hideous ventilated type pad but it's poorly fitted as well. This is the recoil pad which came with the stock as it has Stockade molded in. That thing just has to go.
The pistol grip fits OK but the squared off forearm leaves me cold.
The inletting is nice, crisp and precise in the action area but the barrel channel and the nut area are not. Oversize but even in the barrel channel. Uneven and oversize around the nut.
Very stiff forearm and the buttstock seems solid and well shaped.

Overall, about what I expected. Decent quality but not even close to McMillan quality.
Because these stocks are available in a Money Saver condition I can half-heartedly recommend them since they're 1/2 the price of a McMillan. If you're thinking about getting a painted one however the price advantage shrinks to a point where the value compared to a McMillan just isn't there.

nsaqam
06-09-2012, 06:50 AM
This stock has confirmed my long-standing belief that you simply cannot get a top quality synthetic stock for less than $400.

It has also confirmed to me that a McMillan, ordered through Rick Bin, is easily the best value in high quality synthetic stocks.

BoilerUP
06-09-2012, 11:28 AM
<mini-hijack>

On your recommendation I checked out those 24hourcampfire McMillan stocks...$418 is a great price, but an additional $66 for a recoil pad???

That said, spec'ing out an McMillan A5 to my desires via the Campfire runs $541.50 (1" Decelerator, installed pillars, 2 cups/1 stud), which is $40 less than an equally configured Manners T2.

I've got a secondhand McM A5 that is somewhere between CDI Precision and my house after being inletted; I greatly look forward to comparing it side-by-side with my T2.

<end mini-hijack>

nsaqam
06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I look forward to that comparison as well.

Manners makes a darn nice stock.

outlawsix
06-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Which model did you get?

nsaqam
06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
The Hunting Sporter.
SA, FB, Pre AT, WSM, blind mag.

rusty815
06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
2.5lbs is the standard weight for most of their stocks (except the PD/T which is about 3.5lbs standard), you have to ask for a lighter one for them to make it lighter unfortunately.

I agree about the recoil pad, I don't like the ventilated types, a lot of junk gets in them when I'm out hunting, but Stockade does have the option to put a solid recoil pad (I think its a Decelerator) for $15-30 dollars or something like that, can't check until the website comes back up, should be in about a week since they are finally having their website overhauled and having their entire inventory list updated with newer pictures and prices from what I remember.

Whats the finish on it? Is it glass bedded? Have you shot it? can you put up some pictures?

I would really like to know what you think about its performance on the field. Also you start load development for the 300WSM yet?

benfranklin
06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
glad I read your post..

Now I am glad I did not order from them...

HotLoad
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
That sucks.. I was thinking about using them on my next project.

outlawsix
06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
We all know how opinions are..... but anyway I still like the look of the Prairie dog/tactical stocks. And will end up getting one. I do appreciate the heads up on the weight. Even though my plans are for a tactical set up I may opt for the lighter fill.

The real question is, how does it feel when you shoot it? Is the stock stable as in groups not wandering around?

nsaqam
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
2.5lbs is the standard weight for most of their stocks (except the PD/T which is about 3.5lbs standard), you have to ask for a lighter one for them to make it lighter unfortunately.

I agree about the recoil pad, I don't like the ventilated types, a lot of junk gets in them when I'm out hunting, but Stockade does have the option to put a solid recoil pad (I think its a Decelerator) for $15-30 dollars or something like that, can't check until the website comes back up, should be in about a week since they are finally having their website overhauled and having their entire inventory list updated with newer pictures and prices from what I remember.

Whats the finish on it? Is it glass bedded? Have you shot it? can you put up some pictures?

I would really like to know what you think about its performance on the field. Also you start load development for the 300WSM yet?

Just got the rifle so I haven't shot it yet.
I'm also doing 12 hour night shifts an hour from my house so pics may take a bit.
The paint is a professionally applied Desert camo done in Duracoat. I'm not a fan even though it is well done. I'll be painting it soon.
It is glass bedded but I'll probably re-do that as well since the tang is not floated.

I really want to know how it does in the field too. The rifle without scope, rings, sling, or ammo weighs 7# 4.6 ounces. At least a pound too heavy.

I just want the other posters to know that I don't think this is a horrible stock (except for the recoil pad) and I think it far superior to the Duramaxx, Carbelite, Hogue, or Choate. The Stockade just suffered in comparison to my McMillans.
That's a tough row to hoe for any stock.

rusty815
06-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I really want to know how it does in the field too. The rifle without scope, rings, sling, or ammo weighs 7# 4.6 ounces. At least a pound too heavy.

Haha, my Savage 300wsm centerfeed weighs about a pound more than yours with nothing on it, does yours happen to be a small shank wsm by any chance?

rusty815
06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
forgot to say that my savage is still bone stock, so you have it kind of lucky lol

benfranklin
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
FWIW---To me if the stock isn't right I would not deal there again.

And NO matter how pretty it may be if it isn't right it isn't worth it..John

nsaqam
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Haha, my Savage 300wsm centerfeed weighs about a pound more than yours with nothing on it, does yours happen to be a small shank wsm by any chance?

Nope, large shank 24" sporter contour.

emn83
06-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Kind of funny for me that that's too heavy for your liking. Guess different people have different tastes. When my rifle is done, I'll be happy if it's 10#, but I like a heavier rifle for a more stable platform and don't mind the weight

rusty815
06-13-2012, 12:23 AM

Kind of funny for me that that's too heavy for your liking. Guess different people have different tastes. When my rifle is done, I'll be happy if it's 10#, but I like a heavier rifle for a more stable platform and don't mind the weight

I know, 7.25lbs is pretty light for a savage, even a bone stock savage weighs a bit more if you look at the weight on their website. my rifle as it sits right now weighs about 12-13lbs, lightest one I have is my weatherby vanguard that weighs 8lbs total (scope, mounts, and bipod).

nsaqam
06-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Loaded and scoped this rifle will weigh around 8.5#. Seems acceptable and was acceptable until I started using rifles closer to 6#.
I don't sit in a stand or shoot off a bag or bipod, I walk the woods and I find a 6# rifle is in my hands all the time whereas a 9# rifle is slung all too often. I also find that I'm comfortable hunting all day with less fatigue with a light rifle.
I simply couldn't care less about shooting groups at the range. The only requirement I have is that a rifle puts the first bullet out of a cold bore precisely to POA every time. The second is nice too but the third and subsequent shots mean nothing to me.
A light rifle in my hands is a far more effective hunting tool than a heavy rifle slung.

rusty815
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
I can assure you that two pounds don't make much of a difference, I went from a righty ruger m77 mk2 that weighed 7.2lbs to my lefty savage that weighs 12lbs+ and still make my rounds while hunting, about four miles up and four miles down a day while hunting.

Any pics yet? Would love to see how it looks. Also the website is back up again in case you're still wondering, it's not finished though.

nsaqam
06-15-2012, 06:59 PM
From my personal experience two pounds makes a world of difference to me.
We rifle loonies need goals and mine is lightweight rifles.
Anyway, here are some pics.
This rifle may well be know here as I'm the fourth owner.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/DSCN0001.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/DSCN0002.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/DSCN0003.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/DSCN0005.jpg

And finally the hideous recoil pad.
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/nsaqam/DSCN0004.jpg