PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 .223 Rem Where did they go?

Pages : [1] 2

handsomerob
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Has anybody else noticed that most of the online gun sellers seem to be out of stock on Stevens 200 in 223? This will hopefully be my next gun. I've been looking at prices online over the past couple months but lately I've noticed most if not all of the online sellers are out of stock. I even checked gun genie to see if there were any locally in my area and it too said out of stock. I wish I would have known that the Stevens 200 was basically a model 10 without the accu-trigger before I bought my axis. It would be really nice if the axis had a bigger aftermarket.

KRP
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
It's varmint season and stock has depleted on both new and used rifles in "varmint" chamberings. Bad time of year to be looking for a rifle of that sort. The fact that you and bunch of others bought Axis/Edge rifles didn't help either I'm sure, less demand means less production. Hopefully you guys don't put them completely out of production.

stangfish
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM
:'(

psharon97
05-30-2012, 01:21 AM
It doesn't sound like Savage has any intention of keeping the Stevens line around. That's what the Axis/Edge line is supposed to replace. You may have to bight the bullet and order a more expensive Savage model 11 in 223.

chuckw2
05-30-2012, 04:46 AM
They have them on GunBroker....

snowpro440
05-30-2012, 06:44 AM
yes I too have noticed that the stevens 200 is out of stock.I got a stevens 200. 4 months ago and

I pulled my barrel an stock and ordered a shillen select match and a boyds thumbhole varmit stock, and i t really shoots .

Jericho
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I see there isnt as many Stevens M200s as there used to be on the auction sites, 223 or any caliber.
I dont think it will be impossible to find one, but you will have to look harder.

Werewolf
05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
The fact that you and bunch of others bought Axis/Edge rifles didn't help either I'm sure, less demand means less production. Hopefully you guys don't put them completely out of production.

This is exactly why I will not buy an axis. They make them to save manufacturing cost(= cheap), and it does away with any aftermarket availability. Negates most of my reason for getting into savage/stevens.

cgeorgemo
05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
This is exactly why I will not buy an axis. They make them to save manufacturing cost(= cheap), and it does away with any aftermarket availability. Negates most of my reason for getting into savage/stevens.

The after market will catch up to the Axis rifles but not until they know they will be around for a good long time. Just not enough rifle sales yet to justify production cost on the Axis accessories.

Werewolf
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Just my opinion, but I would rather they just discontinue the axis and go back to stevens for the budget line. We already have stagger feed and center feed, flat top and round, accutrigger and non, short or long, etc. Do we really need another stock, bolt, recoil lug, and bolt handle design? The only reason axis exists is to decrease manufacturing cost to maximize profit, not because there is a benefit to the consumer. There are other threads were people like Fred at SSS discuss that it will be a LONG time before axis is supported due to difficulties with the stock design. My choice is to not purchase one and hope they die, your mileage may vary.

cgeorgemo
05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Well I'm not looking to get one either but it seems to me that you pretty much summed up every manufacturers goal.
Decrease cost and maximize profits..... Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on killing the Axis.

Jericho
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
handsomerob, I tried to send you a PM but it wont let me.

handsomerob
06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Sorry I haven't replied back sooner. Varmint season kind of makes sense. I really hope they don't get rid of the Steven's Model 200. I think that would be foolish on their part. I don't regret buying the axis. I like it for what it is, my grab and go deer gun. I looked at the Stevens 200 but had no idea that the savage parts were interchangeable. Had I known that it is possible to convert the internal box mag to a DBM, I probably would have gotten it.

I love the option of getting aftermarket parts. I have a 10/22 as well and it was pretty nice getting different parts for it. I just stopped at a local gun shop today. They had a used Stevens 200 out there. Its a good gun. It was nice to actually handle it. They had an older model 11 no accu-trigger too. I asked to see if it was possible for them to get a new one from their distributor, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm not even sure if I would get a newer savage with them changing the bolt release location. I don't know of any aftermarket stocks that fit the bottom bolt release.

I think I'm gonna take some of the money I had saved up and take the family camping and stuff this summer. I get a bonus in a couple of months that will cover the Steven's and scope. If I hear anything about the Steven's being faded out I will probably sell the axis and buy a Stevens in 308 win (same as my axis) and 223 rem. Thanks for the replies.

Jericho, not sure why it didn't let you pm me. I'm a paying member. Decided to pony up for the classifieds, great idea.

Jericho
06-01-2012, 09:38 PM
There's one for sale on gunsamerica

handsomerob
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
There's one for sale on gunsamerica

Thanks I will take a look at it.

Jericho
06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Walmart still has Stevens M200s in 223, 22-250, and 243, but they have to order them for you. Price is $342.00.

handsomerob
06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Walmart still has Stevens M200s in 223, 22-250, and 243, but they have to order them for you. Price is $342.00.

I didn't think about walmart. The ones in my area just started carrying guns. No sure why they didn't before. That's a good price. Plus I wouldn't have to pay ffl fee or shipping. Thanks for the update Jericho.

Jericho
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
The Walmarts in my area, TX, have a catalog full of longs that they can order for you. I believe its half down, but no layaway. You have to pick it up when it comes in. They also have the Savage Model 25 rifles in 223 and 204. None of
these are on the shelf for sale, they must be ordered.

Jericho
06-12-2012, 02:35 PM
On a whim today I went to the local Walmart and asked the clerk to check the availability of Stevens M200s in 223.
She called the warehouse or distributor that handles firearms and they said the 200s have been on back order since Feb.
of this year. Hopefully your area may have them, Im in TX.

Stockrex
06-12-2012, 08:47 PM
A year back, I was "hunting" for a 223 stevens, I found truck full of 06s, 270 but no 223s, finally found 1 but it was marked 80$ more than the 06s,