PDA

View Full Version : Mcgowan barrel ??

Pages : [1] 2

goob
04-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Just got my barrel from them today. Screwed off the 223 barrel on my model 12 to put on my new 6.5 tcu barrel
. Well the barrel nut will olny screw on about half way and also the action will screw up about an 1/2 inch and gets stuck. It seems to be the threads on the new barrel. Any one else ever had this problem. Do you think they will fix this.

drybean
04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
sounds like the threads my be proud
run a flat file over the top of the threads

drybean

82boy
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
drybean

+1
McGowan will stand behind their work, gust give them a call.

Dennis
04-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Do you think they will fix this.

Definetly! Keep us up to date or you may PM me with any concerns,

Dennis

SinoS
04-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Are any of these parts stainless steel. If so use some anti seize on the threads. I read an article where SS barrels and actions will often gaul easily and bind. The anit seize lubricates the threads allowing and easy assembly. I haven't taken posession of my McGowan barrels yet but this is how I will assemble.

Dino

6mmBR_Shooter
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Stainless steel on stainless steel can gaul in a heartbeat, often with no warning.

I'd pull the barrel back off and check to see if there is any obvious damage. If the nut and/or barrel will not thread off, it is more than likely galled.

We used to have a heck of a time with stainless fittings on flexible hoses siezing up tight. When they gall like that, nothing you can do but cut them apart. A little antiseize or licktite to lube the threads is never a bad thing in moderation.

geargrinder
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM

drybean

Do this. It is a very common problem and easily fixed. Less than 5 minutes and you'll be ready to go.

Dennis
04-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Do this. It is a very common problem and easily fixed. Less than 5 minutes and you'll be ready to go.

Do you think this was caused by the shipping carrier?

I just recieved my 284 barrel and the box was torn up bad. It almost looks like the barrel may have fallen out and they put it back in and retaped the box.

I am going to check the barrel in the morning just to see if the nut will screw all the way down! I am currently working on the stock and hope to have this build complete within two months!

geargrinder
04-15-2012, 01:08 PM
The threads on the barrel have a sharp point at the peak that needs to be removed.

This needs to be done because the valley of the threads on the nut and action have a small radius at the root.

5spd
04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I use cloth sandpaper to knock the sharp edges down on the threads, do a bit at a time till it screws right in.
Cup it in your hand and spin the bbl on it whilst squeezing, use masking tape to wrap the bbl at the ends of the threads.

SMK Shoe
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
[quote=drybean ]
+1

Had the same problem with about half my McGowen barrels. Had one that I couldn't get thru a aftermarket recoil lug. Little bit of cleaning the top of the threads with sandpaper and good to go. Work slow and it will workout.

goob
04-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Well i called them monday and told a guy my problem. He said that basicly savage actions were junk but if i would send him the barrel and the action they would put it together for me. He ask if my action was blued ??? (It is) and told me that stainless barrels do not go together with blued barrel nuts, but the 223 barrel that was on it was also stainless with no problems screwing on. It cost me $25.00 dollars to send it back that i tought they should have taken care of. So i am hopeing i will not get charged for thier mistake also.

Blue Avenger
04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull! Many other machinists can make it work with out blaming every thing but them selves.

squirrelduster
04-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Well i called them monday and told a guy my problem. He said that basicly savage actions were junk but if i would send him the barrel and the action they would put it together for me. He ask if my action was blued ??? (It is) and told me that stainless barrels do not go together with blued barrel nuts, but the 223 barrel that was on it was also stainless with no problems screwing on. It cost me $25.00 dollars to send it back that i tought they should have taken care of. So i am hopeing i will not get charged for thier mistake also.

Sounds like this guy is wound a little too tight. :o
I have a stainless McGowen with a blued nut and action and it works fine.

riverat
04-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Sounds to me like you have a Bullsmith instead of Gunsmith.now i heard it all LOL

Jeff

thejimmster
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I had the same problem last year. Sandpaper/filing did not help. I sent the barrel back and they fixed it promply and returned it to me.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,41200.msg286635.html#msg286635

Dennis
04-21-2012, 01:33 PM
goob, PM sent to you concerning the comment on Savage Actions.

I will be awaiting for your reply.

sparky123321
04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
If you have a scope base mounted make sure your front base screw isn't too long and interfering with the threads. I've had it happen before even with high-end bases.

geargrinder
04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
If you have a scope base mounted make sure your front base screw isn't too long and interfering with the threads. I've had it happen before even with high-end bases.

He can't even get the nut on.

sinman
04-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Sounds more like a salesman than a gunsmith, it is a common problem with them.