PDA

View Full Version : Mcgowan barrel ??

Pages : 1 [2]

04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Not a huge shock with McGowen. They have been known to lie about things. I was surprised to hear another member tell the exact same story I got from them, but many months apart. Seems they must have a list of BS to spread around to cover their mistakes on hand. Maybe they put excuses in a magic 8 ball and just shake it when you call to complain. I will say, their correctly finished products do shoot.( I own 3, and had trouble with orders #2 and #3) I will not order another from them.

bogger01
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
man,i'm gald that i'm not the only one with problems from them.i had them build me a 338 edge barrel about a year ago.i also had them install a brake that needed timing.they said it was a 5-6 week wait.about 8 weeks later they called and told me my muzzlebrake was out of coentricity and i needed another.he said the hole was off center and the bullet would strike the brake .they said they could duplicate this brake in house and it would be free of charge.ok.this is where i start to get mad.2 weeks later no barrel.i called and they said that the machinist was out of town and couldn't do the brake until next week.after that he said it just needed blueing.i said i didn't order blueing as i was going to paint the barrel.he called me a liar and said when i made the phone call to make the order i said to blue it.well,i didn't call the order in i did it thru emails(which i saved for future referances).nothing about blueing.anyway,2 more weeks nothing,i called and he said the same excuse about the machinist being out of town but he would install one of his brakes and his gunsmith was in house and could do it right then.then he could blue it and send it home.by this point i am ready to pull my hair out and explained again that didn't want it blued.i was basically called a liar again..i agreed to the brake and went about my buisness.1 week later he called said my barrel was finished but i would have to handle the brake on my own.the barrel was threaded but not timed.i paid the nice lady on the phone and a week later the barreld action was here.i took the barreled action to a gunsmith and had him check the brake.nothing was wrong with it except it was over timed.anyway,the barrel shoots very well and i have no complints there but i will never use,buy or accept as a gift another mcgowen barrel.i feel better now.

Dennis
04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
It always seems the bad comes out with a thread like this! Goob's barrel is being taken care of! Bottom Line!
This issue could be discussed further, just like several others could be discussed further, as there are two sides!

Personally, I have 7 McGowen tac driving barrels with NO issues and have sold several for McGowen!

I currently have a company who saw my success with my McGowen barrels and this person ordered 10 of them! Four are already on pre-ordered complete rifles!

Four of the top shooters in our match's are using McGowen barrels!

I personally have experienced nothing but "professional" service from McGowen, along with good products! In Austriala, they are the top selling barrel in that country! There barrels make it to several other countries besides the USA!

Situations allways arise with any company, and they can be resolved!

I have a situation with Kreiger I could discuss, but it would be worthless to do so! Other than it's for sale!

05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Dennis, just as it should be, the bad should come out. I have a Code of Ethics at work, and I try to live my life by it outside of work also. I don't tolerate liars at work, I am not friends with liars outside of work, so why would I give my business to liars? There are WAY TOO MANY examples of McGowen's poor ethics on this site. Maybe people will sit up and take notice. It doesn't matter to me if they screw up on my barrel as long as they make it right. If they lie to me during the process, then I have a big problem. Especially when it happens twice on consecutive orders.

Most of us agree their barrels shoot well, and I always say mine do. I still won't order another barrel from them because of the behavior of the people I have talked to at that company.

Dennis
05-02-2012, 03:00 AM
I still won't order another barrel from them because of the behavior of the people I have talked to at that company.

I don't disagree with the above, I live by the same standards! Just tell the truth and make the situation right!

Otherwise, I do like their barrels and have good service out of them!

I have gotten to know several of the people from McGowen, I will see if I can bring the "attitude" issue up. I know this is just as important as a good product!

I think every company you deal with, at some point, there will be an issue. As I stated, I have had a few myself! If I hear of one with any company I just try to help if I can!

Dennis

SMK Shoe
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a couple of McGowan's and they are pretty good shooter's. But I have had the same problems with customer service, The machinist that must have made all my barrels has had more family issues in the last two years, than I have had my whole life. I can see them having to rent a 6.5mm BR reamer ( I expected that), but after 8 weeks, being told they needed another month to get a 6mm BR reamer. to many excuses for me. Havn't ordered another since and don't plan to order again. To bad, they are good shooting barrels. :( :(

Stockrex
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
What mcgowen renting reamers
Hmm, my local smith rents his reamers from mcgowen.
Someone living closeby should go there undercover, maybe making barrels is a side business now and they are making cupcakes. Hopefully, they have a great red velvet.

Blue Avenger
05-05-2012, 08:55 AM
There are a couple places that rent and very easy to deal with. I have never waited more then a few days to get a reamer.

thunderchief
05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a McGowen .308 bull that I received that didn't have enough thread length on the receiver threads. Could get the barrel nut on there but couldn't fit the factory lug much less the aftermarket one I had planned to use. I called McGowen up, explained the issue to them and a week later had the thread length I needed on the barrel. They did scuff my crown but no biggie, the barrel is getting blasted anyway. I really have no complaints, stuff happens, but I think I like my LW's better overall.

goob
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Update to my problem. Take some advise and stay away from these people. Sent the barrel and action back to them. After $28.00 shipping, 3 Calls and 3 weeks later finally got it back last Friday where they had got the barrel put on properly. Then I am ready to shoot. The first round chanbered fine but after the shot the bolt was hard to lift and stuck. Well I had to hit the bolt with a rubber hammer to extract the brass. Right before the taper on the brass was a swell about 1/16 wide and 1/4 inch long and all away around the caseing it looked really bad. After fireing it several rounds every shot was the same. I contacted them again on Monday I was told by a guy named Dan I would just have to talk to his gunsmith. So the gunsmith says he has never heard of this and it might be the way I am loading. Now after we decide maby thiers smothing wrong with the chamber hed says I just need to send it back. He puts me back on the phone with a lady. I ask her can they take care of the shipping back and she finally says they will. She wanted me to leave it on the front porch till UPS can pick it up. I say no-way . Then she offers to email me a return shipping label. This was Monday and guess what no label. I decided to take it to my local gunsmith this morning and he said he has never seen a chamber this bad in 30 years but he can polish it out. I will NEVER!! use them again. >:( >:(

5spd
05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Well i called them monday and told a guy my problem. He said that basicly savage actions were junk but if i would send him the barrel and the action they would put it together for me. He ask if my action was blued ??? (It is) and told me that stainless barrels do not go together with blued barrel nuts, but the 223 barrel that was on it was also stainless with no problems screwing on. It cost me $25.00 dollars to send it back that i tought they should have taken care of. So i am hopeing i will not get charged for thier mistake also.

Sounds to me like you have a Bullsmith instead of Gunsmith.now i heard it all LOL

I agree with ^^^^ the gunsmith is an idiot IMO.
My 2 Mcgowan SS bbls went right on after I hit the threads with emery cloth to knock them down a tad.