PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: New Savage shooter, introducing myself

Pages : [1] 2

SniperGoat
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Hello folks, I'm new to the Savage community. I just purchased a Savage 111 FCNS, chambered in 30-06, with Accustock and Accutrigger. Havent taken delivery yet because it arrives tomorrow. I already have a scope for it....a Millett TRS-1, that I had been using on another rifle, but I am going to need mounting hardware for the new rifle. I've been to BassPro and they have a lot to choose from; so I was wondering if anybody can recommend some mounting hardware?

In addition to the scope, I also intend to add a bipod and a sling. Is there anything in particular that I need to know about these rifles...like break-in or ammo recommendations? I dont reload (yet) so my preffered brands of ammunition are Hornady and Federal; based upon my previous experiences. I've been shooting an AR-15 but then I got into hunting and decided that I needed something more suitable. After hours and hours of research and reviews I decided that savage is the way to go. This rifle is going to be used for target shooting, and hunting (mostly hogs and deer, maybe elk and alligator). As far a bullet weigt I'm not sure where to start. Anyways, I thought I'd introduce myself.

stangfish
03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Welcome. What part of the country do you reside Goat? If that is a 30 mm tube on that millet ther is a guy on another forum that has some Warn Quick Detach rings for a super good price. These are some of the best and will never mar you scope. I will PM you the link. A good one peice weaver or Picatiny rail will be all you need. EGW works for most but I have seen lower profile.

Check your PM's for a link

ellobo
03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel nut. try 168 grainers to sart with. It seems that Savages shoot best with those from what I have read on here over the years. If it shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards with factory loaded ammo you are golden for hunting. Check often for copper buildup until you have many rounds down range. Savages seem to shoot better with dirty barrels. In the future you may want to glas bed the action. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floated and you should be ready to go.
El Lobo

SniperGoat
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Well I picked up my rifle today and it sure feels good in my hands. I own several firearms and some of them I connect with, and some I dont....I think this Savage is going to be one that I can "connect" with. The rubbery butt pad will take a little getting used to (I like them smooth so that they dont grab my clothes).

So here are some questions: It is my understanding that with the newer generation of accustock there is no need for any special torque specifications on the action screws, correct? Also, I understand that some kind of a picitany rail needs to be mounted first...for the scope rings to attach to? If so do I need a full length rail (that would span the ejection port), or two seperate short rails? Sorry for sounding like a goober but this is a little different than an A3 upper, so I want to get it right the first time.

SniperGoat
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
oops I just noticed that someone already mentioned getting a one piece rail. But wouldnt that interfere with trying to single load?

Three44s
03-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Welcome to the forum Snipergoat!!!

Hope your stay is long and fruitful!!

I am not up on the accustock but have some accutriggers by now. As far as the one piece rail, some are cutout on the side over the bolt so you have better access. But I have to confess, all my Savages long and short actions have 2 piece scope bases so I am not your best member to confer with on that subject.

I will offer two ideas:

Think about upping your membership to "paid" ......... I tried a one year stint for my first go around and liked this forum so well, upon renewal I went for two years this time around. The advantage is that you can do the member classifieds .......... addictive ........ and there are articles available as well.

The other idea is to take up handloading. All that I have met once they took it up ............ wish they'd done it sooner! The "drop out rate" is LOW and if you use the net and buy some of your items from other loaders you can save over buying all new.

Find a mentor and they will help you thread around the "maze" of choices out there and ask questions here and on other forums on what to buy.

Enjoy!

Three 44s

Dennis
03-27-2012, 02:47 AM
the newer generation of accustock there is no need for any special torque specifications on the action screws, correct?

There are a few articles that cover this subject. I personally have not heard of any "newer generations" execptions. I know there is a torques sequence out there for accu-stocks.

I believe the recoil lug “wedge” screw part of the accu-stock has changed on the new models. Also states torque instructions are in the manual. I never found them!

Also, check this thread out: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,37712.0.html

If anything is changed, I haven't seen it, maybe someone else might have updated information.

Proper Adjustment of The AccuStock
there is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock,
and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug “wedge”
screw is backed out to the point where
the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat
against the bottom of the aluminum rail.
2. With the action inserted into the
stock, justify the action toward the rear
of the stock to allow the recoil lug on
the action to be seated against the boss
on the aluminum rail.
3. Tighten the forward most screw to
10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the
aluminum rail boss, then back out one-
half turn.
4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10
in.-lbs.
5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10
in.-lbs.
6. Tighten the forward action screw to
10 in.-lbs
Repeat steps four through six and
increase torque value in increments up
to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.
note: It is extremely important to
tighten per the instructions above
because when you are tightening the
action down into the AccuStock you are
spreading the aluminum side rails and
evenly moving the action down onto
the base of the rail, ensuring positive
engagement.

—Chris Bezzina, Savage Arms

fgw_in_fla
03-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Hello SniperGoat - Welcome to your NEW ADDICTION :o :o :o. I believe you'll find your new rifle will become habit forming in short order and in this group of folks you'll find a wealth of knowledge & info.

I have a pair of '06's and absolutely love shooting & reloading for them. I've found they do very well using Federal Premium ammo . I think it was their Vital Shok 168gr ammo with the Nosler Ballistic Tips that got me started reloading. The Fed Prem. ammo was good for .75" grouping at 100yds in plain jane stock form. After paying $45 bucks a box (of 20 rounds) a few times :o I needed to take out a mortgage to afford my habit SO..... I started reloading.

Take a little time and peruse some of the old threads and I'm sure you'll come across some very infomative info written by some well informed gentlemen.

Welcome aboard ;)

Frank in Fla.

GaCop
03-27-2012, 05:42 AM
oops I just noticed that someone already mentioned getting a one piece rail. But wouldnt that interfere with trying to single load?

Not at all. I use an EGW 1 piece and can single load w/o any problem. Welcome aboard to a great forum!

SniperGoat
03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
What about these, are they a good pick?

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi

SlimySquirrel
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Not at all. I use an EGW 1 piece and can single load w/o any problem. Welcome aboard to a great forum!

+1

I have an EGW Rail and I have no probs even with the smaller .223
;)

Rick_W
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Welcome aboard!

As stated several times, the 1-pc EGW is a very good product. I have one on my 10FP and have never had a problem.

No experience with the Accustock or the .30-06.

For hunting my .308 LOVES factory Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt PSP's (rifle shoots better than I can), for plinking it'll shoot most anything.

If your '06 is anything like most Savage's, it will shoot consistently with most any quality ammo.

SniperGoat
03-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm going to be looking into the EGW rail. Right now I'm leaning toward either Leupold or Warne 2 piece mounts....but I WILL look into the EGW based on the recommendations. What rings would work well with the EGW base? It turns out that the Talley that I found earlier does not have a listing for my long action receiver. I'm really stoked about shooting my new gun but it looks like I'm going to be another week getting the scope together :(

GaCop
03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
The EGW works better with the newer scopes with the shorter body. Many times, two piece bases with rings won't allow you to move the scope back far enough for proper eye relief. I used to be a user of Leupold one piece bases and their rings until I had problems moving the scope back far enough to preclude having to crawl the stock.

Rick_W
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
A lot of folks swear by the Burris Zee rings - different inserts allow you to offset the scope instead of using a tapered base.

I use tapered EGW bases with Burris XTR Xtreme tactical rings on my 10FP (.308) and 12VLP (.223) - why? Just because.

I also use the Xtreme tactical rings on .460 S&W Magnum. ;D

Depends on what you want to accomplish and how you want it to look.

SniperGoat
04-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Well I ordered my mounting hardware. Warne 30mm high scope rings, Warne 2 piece base, and a 1 piece weaver base. Thats right, I ordered 2 bases; I really want to try a 2 piece base but I'm afraid of how my scope is going to actually fit, so I will try both. I also ordered some 168gr Federal Matchking ammo since I was having trouble finding it in stores. I dont plan to special order all of my ammo but I'm going to be experimenting with different types for a while just to see how good this gun really is. Next on the list is to adjust the accutrigger.

stangfish
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Great Choice on the ring manufacturer but why the high ones? I noticed that you spoke about AR's previously. High rings are good on AR's due to the buttstock being in line with the barrel making cheekweld difficult, an ergenomics issue. It is this posters opinion that, on a bolt action you are better off with the bell of your scope within a 1/4 inch of the barrel when mounted. If we know the outside diameter of the objective lens, using the mounted base as a reference and using the data on Warnes web page for ring height, we can get real close to the ring dimension that is optimal for your rifle. Just my opinion little brother.

Here is a link to Warne's ring data page....
http://warnescopemounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Scope-Ring-Chart.pdf

SniperGoat
04-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Great Choice on the ring manufacturer but why the high ones? I noticed that you spoke about AR's previously. High rings are good on AR's due to the buttstock being in line with the barrel making cheekweld difficult, an ergenomics issue. It is this posters opinion that, on a bolt action you are better off with the bell of your scope within a 1/4 inch of the barrel when mounted. If we know the outside diameter of the objective lens, using the mounted base as a reference and using the data on Warnes web page for ring height, we can get real close to the ring dimension that is optimal for your rifle. Just my opinion little brother.

Here is a link to Warne's ring data page....
http://warnescopemounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Scope-Ring-Chart.pdf

My scope is a 50mm. From what I've read I need high rings. Im also concerned that the fat design of the rear of my scope, due to all of the adjustments, is going to interfere with operating the bolt handle. I hope it works out because I really dont want to buy another scope.

stangfish
04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
My scope is a 50mm. From what I've read I need high rings. Im also concerned that the fat design of the rear of my scope, due to all of the adjustments, is going to interfere with operating the bolt handle. I hope it works out because I really dont want to buy another scope.

How many adjustments do you have? ;D.

All kidding aside which scope do you have.

SniperGoat
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM

How many adjustments do you have? ;D.

All kidding aside which scope do you have.

I have a Millett TRS-1, 4-16x50. There is adjustment for zoom, focus, parallax, rectical illumination, and the usual windage and elevation.