PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: New Savage shooter, introducing myself

Pages : 1 [2]

Corprin
04-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Welcome.

I would say run the 1pc base, easier to keep the scope in alignment in case your action is not exactly true... don't worry, even happens in the land of remmy ;) I am currently running the EGW on my 10FP, and single load both .308 when I am too lazy to load the mag. I also have it set up as a switch barrel with 6.5x55 swede loaded with 140gn Nosler CC at max AOL, which I have no issue single loading with either, as the rounds will physically not fit in the magazine.

SniperGoat
04-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Good news. I found a youtube video of someone using a scope like mine; so that cures some of my doubts. I will try the one piece mount first. Cant wait to shoot my new gun! I daydream about it every day.

SniperGoat
04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Well I got my scope mounted today and was able to fire 31 rounds at 100 yards. The first 23 shots were all over the place; then the last few began to group very nicely. I assume that my barrel needed an initial break-in? What about cleaning...do I need to do that promptly; or can it wait until after a couple more range sessions? I've heard that cleaning affects the accuracy.

Overall I really enjoyed shooting my new rifle. 30-06 doesnt kick that bad at all; not even a hint of any bruises. It did rattle my brains a little :D

ellobo
04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Savage barrels are button broached and can be a little rough to start with. They will copper up quickly until they are shot some, some quickly some not. I would check for copper frequently for awhile. And yes, Savage barrels will shoot better a little dirty. Clean when accuracy drops off.

El Lobo

243LPR
04-06-2012, 11:07 PM
I usually clean after each shot for the first 10,after that clean after the next 10 or so. Depends on what the groups are and what the barrel looks like.You can tell when the bore starts to smooth out with a tight patch.

stangfish
04-07-2012, 06:05 PM
How much of a gap between the objective end of the scope and the barrel? How much room do you have and the eyepiece end?

SniperGoat
04-07-2012, 06:23 PM
How much of a gap between the objective end of the scope and the barrel? How much room do you have and the eyepiece end?

There is 1/4 inch gap between the barrel and bottom of the objective end of the scope. I forget what the eye releif is on that scope but it works out ok for my preferences. A couple of times recoil caused the scope to touch my eyebrow...but nothing to cry about.