PDA

View Full Version : Anyone figured out a way to swap barrels and not remove the scope?

Pages : [1] 2

mugsie
03-14-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm a barrel swap junkie but to tell you the truth, it's getting a little tiresome to continually remove the scope, swap the barrel, replace the scope then go out and bore sight it all in again. There has got to be a better way.

Has anyone figured out a method whereby I can leave the scope in place on the reciever, remover the barrel nut, swap barrels and be relatively good to go? I'm sure I'll still need to resight the rifle, but it would have to be closer than the other mothod of complete removal - I hope.

Any ideas? Tools you've made or modifed? Methods which have proven to work?

Thanks all.....

sniper15545
03-14-2012, 07:40 PM
I haven't done it yet but as soon as I pickup another barrel nut wrench I,m going to cut it and make it an open in wrench. It should work well once the factory nut has been loosened one time.

thethc3
03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I have used an AR 15 wrench that fits right into the groove on the standard barrel nut so you don't even have to cut a standard wrench. Also you could always use a quick detach ring system that keeps zero.

quickkillaught6
03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
What about the front screw in the base?

MrMajestic
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM

What about it?

DanSavage
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Taking a scope off is very very simple, and I'd have to say if you take it off and remount it and the point of aim is different you've got problem's that need to be corrected. Not trying to be a smart azz here but think about it, that's one reason I have been using 1 piece mount's as well as bedding the mount to the action to make sure that there is no binding going on. +1 on quick detach rings.

Blue Avenger
03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/rearentreywrench-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/gunsmith/billpa1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/gunsmith/28v9lqb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/emocons/thdoh.gifshorten it!

earl39
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM

If you are going to be swaping barrels that often then spend the money and get the tap for the barrel threads and run it in the receiver with the scope mount screws in place. Never have to remove or worry about the screws again as the tap will cut threads in the screw ends.

243LPR
03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Why is it so hard to remove the scope?

stangfish
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM

If you are going to be swaping barrels that often then spend the money and get the tap for the barrel threads and run it in the receiver with the scope mount screws in place. Never have to remove or worry about the screws again as the tap will cut threads in the screw ends.

I know there is something wrong here I just cant put my finger on it

Sundo
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm failing to understand the concern about the front base screw. Does that somehow interfere with barrel removal and installation?

earl39
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
If the front base screw is a touch to long it will act as a set screw on the barrel thread. Run the tap in and kill two birds with one stone. Front mount screw can't back out with barrel in place and barrel threads in and out without buggering up the threads. Just remove barrel and make sure front mount screw is tight then run tap in and presto.

Blue Avenger
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
the screw if to long will bottom on the barrel threads, mashing then as you turn out the barrel

chestsprings
03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
mugsie,

I change for 223 to 22-250 to rem 6mm all the time.

never ever remove the scope...........a Bushnell 8 X 32 X 40.

been doing this for 3 yrs.

use one of SSS wrenches. have a Farrel Pickatinney base. burris rings with inserts.

all barrels are varmint countour on my VLP.

MrMajestic
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
the screw if to long will bottom on the barrel threads, mashing then as you turn out the barrel

You have diagnosed the problem and a grinding wheel, file, lathe or even sandpaper would be the cure to remove the offending thread or threads. You would never want to have contact on the screw or it won't do the job of securing the base.

sharpshooter
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
You don't need any special tools....you need more donor actions! ;D

stangfish
03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
You don't need any special tools....you need more donor actions! ;D

And maybe shorter screws..............................

Blue Avenger
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
OR Hammer and screwdriver if your the type that like to abuse your nuts! Then you do not have to even remove the stock.

jonbearman
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
What is wrong with a barrel vise?

Jeff518
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm a barrel swap junkie but to tell you the truth, it's getting a little tiresome to continually remove the scope, swap the barrel, replace the scope then go out and bore sight it all in again. There has got to be a better way.
`

I think this is why Thompson's are popular