PDA

View Full Version : What are these small holes in my model 16 barrel? Is this a flawed barrel?

Pages : [1] 2

Lee Robinson
03-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I just got this gun...which is a 243 savage model 16. It is a unique rifle in that this model 16 has a fluted stainless barrel and a wooden stock, which I haven't seen before so I picked it up and I like the rifle.

http://www.chimerakennels.com/243%20savage%20pic.jpg

I bought the gun sight unseen, and upon receiving the gun I noticed these small holes in the barrel right in front of the barrel nut, where the barrel screws into the action...lining up right at the outer edge of the barrel nut. Anyway, what is the deal with these holes. They are actually in the barrel itself and appear to be a flaw...appearing to be a cavity in the steel. I have never seen something like this before. If so, I obviously need to send it to the factory for them to take care of this...but before I get concerned I wanted to be sure these little holes are not there for some reason. Ever seen this before?

http://www.chimerakennels.com/007.JPG

http://www.chimerakennels.com/005.JPG

http://www.chimerakennels.com/002.JPG

Blue Avenger
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Threads that are showing? Only guess I have with out removing the nut to look.

Lee Robinson
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
It isn't threads..as it doesn't "spiral out." It just seems to be a cavity. Since posting this, I spoke with a friend that is very familiar with savage rifles (I am not) and he assures me it is not normal...but also tells me to not worry about it. He says savage is a great company and tells me they will take care of it...so it looks like I will be talking to their service department tomorrow. I just hope I don't have to get a different model firearm. I like this combo of features.

ellobo
03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
doesnt look like holes to me. It looks like tiney pc's of steel that sheared off the tips of a few threads and got carried to the end of the nut when it was screwd on. See if you can pick them off with a thin machinists scribe or similar instrument. You got a nice looking rifle by the way. Love that stock.

El Lobo

Lee Robinson
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
They are definitely cavities. They are small, but you can poke the end of a staple into them...and see it go into the cavity. I have no doubt about that. My only original doubt was are they there for a reason...but apparently they are just some form of void in the steel. I will report back what I hear from Savage upon their inspection.

airaddict
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Arent those the proof marks or the marks made by the tech who straightened the barrel at the factory. Ive seen a few stamps hidden by the barrel nut when ive removed a few factory barrels.

Brian

pdog06
03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I believe they are stamping marks but you can only see a small portion of it. Savage likes to stamp their actions and barrels with letters and/or numbers during the build process.

As for your gun itself, Savage let these out in the middle of 2010 as a special run. They were very hard to find and my local dealer has the same gun still on his shelf. I saw it when it first got there and really wanted to buy it(and wouldve if it was a DBM instead of a HFP). I really like the looks of it with the fluted barrel. When the 2011 lineup rolled out Savage had changed this one from a model 16classic to their normal 14/114 series Classic lineup, and made the 14/114 American Classic Stainless. The bad thing though is that they made the barrel smooth instead of fluted, which I feel they should not have switched.

Lee Robinson
03-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I think these are stamping marks for pressure proofing the barrel here...on the other side.

http://www.chimerakennels.com/018.JPG

Lee Robinson
03-01-2012, 11:48 PM
BTW, the cavities are deeper than are the stamps.

airaddict
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Then they should be the stamps from when the barrel was straightened by hand. I know the barrel nut covers a bit of barrel past the threads and thats usually where those stamps are located. I guess when it headspaced they happened to be on the top instead of off to the side or bottom where most people wont notice them.

Brian

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I think they are too deep to be stamps, but...how many times do they stamp a barrel?

There are two other sets of stamps on the opposite side, as seen in the last photo.

airaddict
03-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Those other two stamps make sense with them being outside the barrel nut cuz the rifle would need to be headspaced in order to be proof marked. But the straightening marks have a chance of being hidden since its done before the barrel is fitted to the action but they still dont know where the marks will end up since they dont know for sure how the headspace will end up.

Hopefully sharpshooter can chime in and lay it all out. Every action is stamped as well w codes that lay out the caliber and configuration of the rifle from what ive read on this forum.

Brian

sharpshooter
03-02-2012, 12:33 AM
You are looking a part of a stamping that is hindered by the barrel nut. Don't lose any sleep, it's normal.

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Is the barrel itself stamped 3 times or more (not including the action)? I see two other stamps on the barrel alone already. Say one is pressure, one is straightening...what would a 3rd be for?

And, I hate to mention it again for I don't want to sound like a broken record, but as mentioned those voids are deeper than any of the visible stamps...at least twice as deep...perhaps 3 times deeper...but it certainly would please me greatly to find out that this is just another stamp.

stangfish
03-02-2012, 01:15 AM
You have a bad gun. I will only charge you shipping to my FFL.

defoxer
03-02-2012, 03:32 AM
.....or the marks made by the tech who straightened the barrel at the factory.....
Brian

Do the savages need to straighten the barrels? I know they do straighten the barrels at Rem as a result of the hammer forging but surely not after buttoning the barrels????

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I would be pleased to find out it is a barrel stamp, but I just don't think that is the case. I am new to Savage firearms, but I am not new to firearms or barrel stamps. It is certainly deeper than any other barrel stamp I have seen before on any other rifle, and it is deeper than the stamps on this rifle. Also, the barrel stamps have patterns that create letters and numbers. This one is irregular. Also, the stamps run parallel to the barrel. This one does not...the only letter it would even closely resemble would be a lower case "i," but the dot on the i is a bit large for a dot. And if it was an i, the height of the letter would be larger than any of the other stamps. Also, the edges of the void are round on one side and appear sharp on the other side.

It just doesn't look like a stamp. Well see. I bought the gun because I wanted it. I look forward to talking to Savage Arms about it.

zap
03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
It looks to me like the metal could have gaulded during the threading process.

Myself, I would look in the chamber with a bore light and if the chamber looks fine , go shooting.

But maybe seeing it in person would make me think different.

Eric in NC
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
.....or the marks made by the tech who straightened the barrel at the factory.....
Brian

Do the savages need to straighten the barrels? I know they do straighten the barrels at Rem as a result of the hammer forging but surely not after buttoning the barrels????

All quality barrel makers check and straighten if required. One reason that Savage factory tubes are good!

pdog06
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
sharpshooter has seen millions of these, so I would take his word for it and go have fun shooting it.