PDA

View Full Version : What are these small holes in my model 16 barrel? Is this a flawed barrel?

Pages : 1 [2]

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Take the barrel off then you will know if they are stampings partially covered by the barrel nut.

Sure would be a lot easier than sending it back to Savage only to find out that they were just that.

Might be a good time to also adjust the headspace to fit your dies / brass if you plan on reloading for it.

geargrinder
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
sharpshooter has seen millions of these, so I would take his word for it and go have fun shooting it.

No kidding.

Fred knows better than anyone. Especially, more than anyone the average person could "talk" to at Savage customer service.

If Sharpshooter says it is a stamp, and it is fine, it is.

Just shoot it and be happy.

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Spoke to Savage. They gave me an email address (since they don't have one on their website) to send some pictures to...and upon reviewing the photos, they too said it was just a barrel stamp. I hope they are right...for I will be shooting it some time this weekend. I don't understand why a barrel would have 3 stamps on it or why this "stamp" would be a different size font than the other stamps or why the letters/digits would be stacked vertically instead of horizontally like the others...but ok. Got their "ok" on the firearm...so apparently sharpshooter is correct and that it is nothing to be concerned about.

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
...my local dealer has the same gun still on his shelf...

If they still have it and if you wouldn't mind emailing me at chimerakennels@msn.com, I may be interested in contacting that dealer to purchase that one too and having it shipped to my ffl if they will ship a rifle...as I have two children and I think the 243 is a great caliber for young hunters...and it would be nice if they had similar guns. Despite my concerns I had with mine...I am pleased to know it is apparently nothing to worry about...and also know Savage has an excellent reputation for producing accurate rifles.

pdog06
03-02-2012, 07:42 PM
here ya go. Gene is a nice guy to deal with and is also a very good gunsmith. I will be seeing him in the next few days about doing some stuff for me.

I was last in there about 3 weeks ago and he still had it.

http://www.thevillagearms.com/map.html

sharpshooter
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
What you are seeing is the top of a letter"U". That is the caliber code for .243.
The caliber code stamps are bigger than proof marks or inspector stamps, therefore it takes a bigger hammer and makes a deeper impression. Quit sweatin' it , and go out and shoot it. ;D

Lee Robinson
03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
What you are seeing is the top of a letter"U". That is the caliber code for .243.
The caliber code stamps are bigger than proof marks or inspector stamps, therefore it takes a bigger hammer and makes a deeper impression.

That make sense. Just a new one for me. Thanks for the explanation!!!

Quit sweatin' it , and go out and shoot it. ;D

Will do...now that I know it is safe. ;D