PDA

View Full Version : Bolt handle swap between 110 and Axis

Pages : [1] 2 3

bobfortier
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi

A guy on another forum told me that you can swap the bolt handle for a 110 serie Savage on an Axis bolt and that it worked. The 110 with the Axis handle did not work, but the Axis with the 110 worked good. He did not take pictures, so is there someone here who has both model and a bit of time to test it and report ?

If it works, it will open up a bit of possibility for us who likes to modify our Savage Axis

thomae
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I just now tried it. Your friend is correct. The Savage 10/100 bolt handle (mine is the larger Savage bolt handle from a 10FCM) fits and functions on the Axis. On mine, it appears to clear the scope by approximately the same amount as the factory Axis handle.

The only down side, for those interested in aesthetics, is that the cutouts on the side of the bolt handle opposite the handle are not covered up by the rear baffle as they are on the Savage 10/100 series bolts.

The Axis bolt handle does not function on my Savage 10 bolt.

I hope this helps.

bobfortier
02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Did you take a picture ?

If this works good it will open up a couple of possibilities for a new look on our Axis

thomae
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Below is the left side: Somewhat blurry, but you get the idea.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qqqht_gIp40/T0FS45wt7MI/AAAAAAAABCA/HPCdjQxawsI/s800/Axis%2520with%2520Savage%2520Tactical%2520Bolt%252 0handle%2520Left%2520side.JPG

Below is the right side:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8OIDvRJ_x3g/T0FS7n7iyqI/AAAAAAAABCI/-BnAAYw_et4/s800/Axis%2520with%2520Savage%2520Tactical%2520Bolt%252 0handle%2520Right%2520side.JPG

This is the large Savage Tactical bolt handle.

Hope this helps.

bobfortier
02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the pics !

sharpshooter
02-20-2012, 03:00 AM
It might bolt on, but it does not give you any primary extraction.

thomae
02-20-2012, 07:39 AM
If by primary extraction you mean the camming action (which forces bolt movement to the rear as the handle is rotated all the way up) upon rotating the bolt handle, as you have with the Savage 10/110 series bolt handle as it cams against the rear baffle you are absolutely correct.

However, as far as I can see, the factory Axis bolt handle provides no forced rearward movement of the bolt either.

seanmurphy265
02-20-2012, 08:43 AM
For a dummy like myself... What would the advantage of switching bolts?

bobfortier
02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Looks only I think. My bro-in-law turned me a nice oversize steel bolt knob that I will install on my Savage Axis, I'll try to post pics once I get it.

sharpshooter
02-21-2012, 03:14 AM
If by primary extraction you mean the camming action (which forces bolt movement to the rear as the handle is rotated all the way up) upon rotating the bolt handle, as you have with the Savage 10/110 series bolt handle as it cams against the rear baffle you are absolutely correct.

However, as far as I can see, the factory Axis bolt handle provides no forced rearward movement of the bolt either.

The Axis has primary extraction just like the 10/110. If yours does not, you may have a bolt body that is out of phase. The first Axis I acquired had this problem with the bolt handle tabs out of phase 8 degrees retarded. I called Joe DeGrande at Savage and he sent me a correct bolt body. The tabs should be 90 degrees to the crosspin hole.

bobfortier
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Question about bolt handle

If I unscrew the rear of the bolt with the allen key, are parts going to fly all over the place ? Is there a spring in there ?

I will install a new bolt knob on my Axis handle and I never took appart a Savage bolt before.

thomae
02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
There is a spring in there, but it is at a relatively low compression by the time the BAS (Bolt Action Screw) or (Big A** Screw) is unscrewed. I usually just hold my free hand on the end of the BAS as I am unscrewing it. It never pops off with too much force. If you want to be safe, do it inside a clear plastic bag the first time. Then, when you get the hang of it, you can decide for yourself.

Kaianuanu
03-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Sweet, i was going to try this but i remember someone telling me it doesn't work. Now that I have you confirmation, i want to know, iare there any additional parts required other than the handle itself to put one of them on my 270 axis?

Kaianuanu
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
PS: and i MUST know!!! Did it soften the bolt lift on your axis?

thomae
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
PS: and i MUST know!!! Did it soften the bolt lift on your axis?

Short answer: No.
I did some polishing on bolt wear surfaces and put in a set of bearings and that helped some, but it is still a reasonably heavy bolt lift.

Also, I didn't mention, although perhaps you have already figured this out yourself, but it is much easier to reassemble the bolt if you start with everything in the "fired" position and not the "cocked" position. Once the BAS has engaged enough threads you can cock the bolt and continue.

Kaianuanu
03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
i am ordering an extended bolt handle from "BootsMcGuire" on here, so i am just goung to chop the original hanlde off the base, and thread in the new handle. And obviously, the added length will have more leverage which will make the lift smoother and lighter.

bobfortier
03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
My plan also. My bro in law turned a bigger knob, I'll just modify mine also. Pics later

Gmac5
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Bolt handles do interchange BUT will NOT
Work.you need primary extraction.
Gary

miassmaro98
04-01-2012, 08:13 AM
so were can i order a lager bolt handle from?

Blue Avenger
04-01-2012, 10:37 AM

The Axis has primary extraction just like the 10/110. If yours does not, you may have a bolt body that is out of phase. The first Axis I acquired had this problem with the bolt handle tabs out of phase 8 degrees retarded. I called Joe DeGrande at Savage and he sent me a correct bolt body. The tabs should be 90 degrees to the crosspin hole.
1/2 the rifle I have are that way.