PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shack group buy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

N8Will
02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Why is the group buy always a 26" varmit? Is there not enough interest in a sporter or maybe a mag contour.

pdog06
02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Funny you post this.. I just sent him a pm about a half hour ago with the same exact question. I have been eyeing up all the group buys going on, but like you I want something other than the length and contour that is offered.

If he doesnt see this i will post his response to my pm.

airaddict
02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I know gunshack has said before thats how er shaw keeps the price so low. Minimal options and processing of the barrels. It takes less time to turn a barrel to varmint contour than it would to turn down to sporter or mag contour. But i personally wouldnt mind seeing a few group buys in diff contours as well as maybe length. I dont mind for the price to be a bit higher for a choice of contour

.brian

N8Will
02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree about the price, I also woundnt mind paying a little more. I dont mind the the wieght but a 26" barrrel on a walking coyote rifle is not real handy. I would love to see 22" in a mag or sporter.

airaddict
02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
+1

the weight of a varmint contour isnt my biggest concern since i hunt in blinds anyway but 26" is kinda long to be moving around in a blind. 22" IMO is a great length for most applications. Ever since i got my first mag contour from mcgowan last year ive liked it over sporter. Im not a bench or competition shooter by any means but it helps w groups by being a little stiffer than a sporter contour.

N8Will
02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
My 280 AI has #5 Brux on it and I love it, heavy enough but not a boat anchor either. its a little heavier than a mag but not much.

lskok
02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Okay, I hear you guys. Personally I want to see a sporter contour next so I can built me a new hunting rig, but the demand so far has been on varmint contours. When I put in the orders with ER Shaw, I have to place it for a single bore, contour, and steel type. The ONLY thing I get to specify is different chambers. They will not take any other requests on these bulk orders. Keep in mind that a barrel can easily be cut down in size and recrowned at minimum cost at a later time. I'm working with a local machinist and hope to be able to offer that as an option in the future.

Please take a minute to put in a vote on the Gun Shack board to express your opinions and help me decide. I actually have three polls running right now, one on the usual varmint contour, one for large shank, and one now for sporter/magnum.

Sporter/Magnum Poll: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,48404.0.html

Small Shank Varmint Poll: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,48395.0.html

Large Shank Varmint Poll: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,48354.0.html

Lance

teebirdhyzer
02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
My vote is for a magnum or heavy magnum contour. Length doesnt matter that much, but 24" is probably a good medium. If you want it shorter, easy to get cut and recrowned. I would jump all over a 6.5 in a heavy magnum, or magnum. Maybe even a 7mm. Either at 22 or 24" would make a sweet deer rifle, that you could also put a few round through at the range!

airaddict
02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Same here......except maybe in 6mm cal. 243ai and 6mm rem ai sound tempting........even maybe a 7-08 could he tempting.

Brian

Aircraftmech76
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Stainless magnum profile in 338 caliber for me.

Dano5001
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Stainless magnum profile in 338 caliber for me.

+1
I would love to see a .338 group buy, I would buy a sporter type but would like a varmint contour .338 edge with threaded muzzle ;D

pdog06
02-12-2012, 09:32 PM
22 or 24 inch stainless magnum contour would be awesome.....especially in a 6.5 or 30cal.

N8Will
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Glad to see im not the only one with this thought. thanks for taking the time to address this I hope it works out.

My vote is for 6mm bore......I really want to build a 243AI

Thanks Again

bajabill
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I think the previous poll for the 30cal had a lighter weight option, I think me and the few posting here at most voted for it :'(

lskok
02-14-2012, 03:40 PM
So far its the Sporter Stainless and Magnum Stainless with the most votes. The Magnum has a slight lead. One of the disadvantages to the sporter would be that we can't chamber it in any of the magnum calibers.

EdKin
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Stainless magnum in 20 cal ;D ;D

SMK Shoe
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Would really like to see a large shank group buy. 223 or 6mm or 6.5. Can find a reason to but at least two barrels in any of those calibers. Would also love a bull barrel option. Real easy to turn that contour for er shaw. I do mostly bench type shooting so length is of no concern.

03mossy
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Would really like to see a large shank group buy. 223 or 6mm or 6.5. Can find a reason to but at least two barrels in any of those calibers. Would also love a bull barrel option. Real easy to turn that contour for er shaw. I do mostly bench type shooting so length is of no concern.

I just hope that Gunshack doesn't cancel the whole idea of a large shank group buy because of the people voting "I don't want a large shank group buy". I know I would also like one

rusty815
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM

I just hope that Gunshack doesn't cancel the whole idea of a large shank group buy because of the people voting "I don't want a large shank group buy". I know I would also like one

Ihey shouldn't have added that option, the voting options should have been strictly for people that want large shank barrels and no one else. I'm going to be quite upset if the large shank group buy falls through because of this.

lskok
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Ihey shouldn't have added that option, the voting options should have been strictly for people that want large shank barrels and no one else. I'm going to be quite upset if the large shank group buy falls through because of this.

You need not worry about the people who vote that they don't want a large shank. The most important part of the vote is to have enough people who ARE interested in a large shank. After that, then it will just come down to enough interest in a particular caliber.

Regards,
Lance