PDA

View Full Version : Duracoat... With errors!

Pages : [1] 2

scnewt
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey guys, I need some help. I just finished painting duracoat on my bolt handle and 2 of my pistols the only problem is I messed up and got a few runs
>:(. Any idea on how to fix it? I thought about sanding it down and applying a coat of krylon on top of the duracoat since duracoat is expensive. Thanks in advance!

stangfish
01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Well if you want to get good at it, you need to practice with "IT".

12fv 308
01-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, I need some help. I just finished painting duracoat on my bolt handle and 2 of my pistols the only problem is I messed up and got a few runs
>:(. Any idea on how to fix it? I thought about sanding it down and applying a coat of krylon on top of the duracoat since duracoat is expensive. Thanks in advance!
I would sand were the runs are, then light sand the whole thing with 600, then buy the duracoat clear and clear the whole project. it should blend ok. or you could do the the same with can of Krylon or automotive clear. Good luck...

Eric in NC
01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Good luck sanding the duracoat!

scnewt
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Yea, I'm attempting to sand it off of my hands now! This will be my last time using the shake n pray kit. Worked out the last two times but that was on savage actions which do not have any cuts or grooves to worry about. I might try krylon. Cheap and their is already 3 layers of duracoat so this is just strictly a cosmetic issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

nuclabuyer
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I would bead blast it off and start over. You will get a new fresh surface for the paint to stick to and you wont have any runs to try to fix.

scnewt
01-27-2012, 01:03 PM
If I could blast I would but I don't have the equipment:(.

ellobo
01-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Try your local vocational college. They might be willing to do it and propbably do have bead or some media for blasting.

El Lobo

seanhagerty
01-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Pictures would help!!

scnewt
01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Try your local vocational college. They might be willing to do it and propbably do have bead or some media for blasting.

El Lobo

Good idea. I can get some pictures monday. I am away now trying to get some hunting in before the end of deer season here in Alabama.

rdfrench
01-28-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm thinking about using the shake n spray kit on my savage action. Did it work out pretty well? Do you coat inside the action as well? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious.

deerhunter85
01-28-2012, 08:32 AM
We're can you buy it at I haven't see it in a can

scnewt
01-28-2012, 04:00 PM
The shake and spray kit is ok. I used it on two savage actions and it did fine. The problem with the kit is the prevail sprayer thats included. It does not give consistant spray so what happens is that it switch from a light spray to a heavy spray randomly. Thats what caused my problems this last time. I highly recommend for you to buy the duracoat and a sprayer separate. I have bought three kits already and if I had just bought the paint and not the kit everytime, I would have saved enough to have bought a spray gun too. I'm very unhappy with the way the kit did this time. I think I might just buy the paint and send it and the pistols to an auto body shop this time because it's going to take allot of work to fix this now. I even noticed last night that the bolt handle off of my savage has bubbles on it.>:(

If you still want the kit it's available at Midway usa or directly from them.

scnewt
01-28-2012, 04:04 PM
One more thing, I did coat the inside of my actions on the savages, however I would not do that to any automatic gun. The paint wore down on the bolt raceways and it worked out fine. I just cycled the bolt while the paint was not fully cured (within a month of painting) to make sure I still had good clearance.

scnewt
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Great, the matte black duracoat appears to be gloss now on my guns. Leads me to believe that there is more wrong with the paint than I suspected.

TORCHRIDER
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Great, the matte black duracoat appears to be gloss now on my guns. Leads me to believe that there is more wrong with the paint than I suspected.

Get the Tactical black. It is much flatter than the matte black.

scnewt
01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Ill remember that but for the meantime I'm going to try and repair the paint. Thanks

jhelmuth
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking about using the shake n spray kit on my savage action. Did it work out pretty well? Do you coat inside the action as well? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious.

Don't do it.... Duracoat is a great finish (for what it is) and can be nice - but their kit with the pressurized can will NOT do the job very well at all (you'll be one of the lucky few if it does). Have a buddy let you borrow his air brush and compressor (or go rent one) if you want it to come out correct and looking sweet.

TORCHRIDER
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I have done several firearms using a Preval sprayer that turned out first rate.

stangfish
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I have done several firearms using a Preval sprayer that turned out first rate.

Yep, It was when I started using an airbrush I started having trouble. With the prevail you need to clean the nozzle after every coat..or even more often than that.