PDA

View Full Version : Action wrench for savage and DIY barrel vise

Pages : 1 [2]

northlander
10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
The Wheeler Action Wrench's that we use to offer had an interference fit on the Savage Short Action Centerfeed Actions. These actions are the newest 4.41" actions. The problem was when you upgraded the factory recoil lug to a precision ground lug you did not have adequate clearance due to the relocation of the front action screw on the short action centerfeed Savage actions. Moving the action screw closer to the front of the new centerfeed action also moves the cap portion of the Wheeler Action Wrench closer to the front edge of the Savage Centerfeed Action. Clamping the Wheeler Action Wrench onto these actions can cause the alignment pin on the recoil lug to bend or break when the action wrench is clamped on.

This is the main reason that the NSS Action Wrench was designed with these clearances in consideration.

Jim Briggs
NSS

jbjh
10-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Don't forget to apply heat to the action. My heat gun set to warm the nut and barrel made it much easier to use Mr. Briggs wrench and vice.

Maztech89
10-22-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm using northlander's action wrench and barrel but wrench. Couldn't be happier for the price I paid and the great service I got when I called to order. I see no reason to try anything else when his action wrench has worked on my LA, buddy's Stryker and SA, and other Buddy's 700.

bodywerks
10-22-2013, 07:15 AM
I ended up taking a dremel to the barrel nut on a factory barrel. Vising the crap out of the action, a torch, dead blow, cheater bar, nothing worked. After I got the nut off it looked like the factory used stud locker loctite on it! I probly put 150 foot pounds on that nut before giving up. Wheeler instructions call for 40...