PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Value?

Pages : [1] 2

cordesr1
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Went to my local MC sports today to find a Stevens 200 on the shelf new for $229. Started talking to the guy and he told me they are no longer making the 200 therefor what they have left is on sale. They have a .270 and 30-06. Last time i bought one of these was 4 years ago and i paid $175 through my dads FFL and Zanders sporting goods. They are no longer in any of the catalogs but still listed on the savage site. Neither caliber is needed but...

Is this the going rate or should i jump on it in the am. I'm always down for a new action at minimum.

placek59
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
$230 is a pretty fair deal in my neck of the woods. The local Scheel's (large sporting goods store in MN, IA, NE, etc..) had 270's for $250 right before Christmas and that is the cheapest I have seen them in a store around here. I know academy used to have them cheap but don't think they have for awhile, and I couldn't buy one there anyway. Last year, my ffl's dealer price was 240 (supposedly) and he tacked 25 on that as a standard transfer fee, I know he can't work for free for everyone. If you need an action, go for it, sell the barrel for 50ish and you're right at 200 for an action after taxes.

stangfish
01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Grab at least one. Before the Ruger American puts Savage out of business. ;D

ellobo
01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
No longer making the 200? News to me. Anyone have any info on that? If all you want is an action call Jimm Briggs at Northlander (advertises on this site) and he can set you up with everything you need for a build. He has an inventory of Savage takeoff parts (all new)
and a ton of good advice.
El Lobo

stangfish
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
If I am not mistaken the 200 was made from a large supply of non conforming 10 and 110 series parts. They would not meet the original cosmetic or diminsional specifications. Bolt bodies that were slightly undersized. Actions with poor finish or flat spots from the centerless grinding operation during OD finish operation. These parts where inspected and or reworked to be within original or expanded tolerences, assembled, put in a new cheap stock and "Voila"! Cha-ching!!! Supply of non-conforming parts has dwindled thus the increasingly scarce inventory.

placek59
01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I had heard last fall that the 200 was going to start to get phased out soon...

Eric in NC
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
If I am not mistaken the 200 was made from a large supply of non conforming 10 and 110 series parts. They would not meet the original cosmetic or diminsional specifications. Bolt bodies that were slightly undersized. Actions with poor finish or flat spots from the centerless grinding operation during OD finish operation. These parts where inspected and or reworked to be within original or expanded tolerences, assembled, put in a new cheap stock and "Voila"! Cha-ching!!! Supply of non-conforming parts has dwindled thus the increasingly scarce inventory.

Hmmmm - Think you may be mistaken there.

efw
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Went to my local MC sports today to find a Stevens 200 on the shelf new for $229. Started talking to the guy and he told me they are no longer making the 200 therefor what they have left is on sale. They have a .270 and 30-06. Last time i bought one of these was 4 years ago and i paid $175 through my dads FFL and Zanders sporting goods. They are no longer in any of the catalogs but still listed on the savage site. Neither caliber is needed but...

Is this the going rate or should i jump on it in the am. I'm always down for a new action at minimum.

Yeah man that is a great deal. My hunting pard bought one from MC for $20 more and felt guilty... its an '06 and shoots honest 1" groups from 100 yds w/ 180 gr Federal blue box crap.

Great rifles and wonderful to have around for spare parts.

godale
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
wasnt the rumor about the 200 being discontued last year about this time of the year?

stangfish
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Possibly, so do you care to share your insight on how the Stevens 200 came into being.

rb4123
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Just for reference I bought a 200 in .308 for $400 out the door. I live in CA and that's the best deal I could find within 200 miles.

cordesr1
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys, going to get it in the am.

Eric in NC
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Possibly, so do you care to share your insight on how the Stevens 200 came into being.

It came into being as a lower price point "loss leader" type product to capture that market segment (cheap hunter looking to buy a gun, kids first deer rifle from Wal-Mart, etc.). A non-accutrigger, cheap stock, low-labor finish, low option gun that could be sold to the big box stores to hit a certain price point below the competition.

The axis/edge is largely replacing it now in that price point so the 200 may indeed go away (especially since there are now the non-accutrigger package guns in the Savage lineup).

The idea that they would accumulate thousands and thousands of out of spec parts and hold them then assemble them into a new product line might be possible but it would be a stupid way to run a business (excess WIP inventory, letting manufacturing problems continue rather than fixing them, selling knowingly inferior product would hurt your brand, etc.).

hound53
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Just bought a stock Stevens in December for my project gun. Great little deer rifle straight form the box with sub MOA off a bag. For target shooting the stock was too flimsy, the trigger was smooth but very stiff, and the light sporter barrel would heat up too fast if you did a 20 round set.

I think that is a heck of a deal myself.

stangfish
01-25-2012, 03:16 AM

It came into being as a lower price point "loss leader" type product to capture that market segment (cheap hunter looking to buy a gun, kids first deer rifle from Wal-Mart, etc.). A non-accutrigger, cheap stock, low-labor finish, low option gun that could be sold to the big box stores to hit a certain price point below the competition.

The axis/edge is largely replacing it now in that price point so the 200 may indeed go away (especially since there are now the non-accutrigger package guns in the Savage lineup).

The idea that they would accumulate thousands and thousands of out of spec parts and hold them then assemble them into a new product line might be possible but it would be a stupid way to run a business (excess WIP inventory, letting manufacturing problems continue rather than fixing them, selling knowingly inferior product would hurt your brand, etc.).

I buy into what your selling. It's no big deal though, just my thoughts asserted as fact. Bad form on my part. Never the less, the fact that the finish on the action is a 24-32 rms rather than a 16 or better is not what I was reffering to. Every Stevens 200 I have seen when removed from the stock had flat spots from the centerless grinding process where the action stopped turning and the grinding wheel dug in. I had also noticed that the savage bolts fit tighter in the action than the Stevens. If you have ever seen a big Cincinnati centerless grinder spitting out parts you can run hundreds, thousands of pieces within .0002 of an inch. ( roller bearings are a great example) Your position is logical but I still believe there is something behind it...maybe a subcontractor did the work that had some trouble getting tooling right.

godale
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
well i am from ne ohio and they do aspper to be drying up. local dunhams downto 30-06 and 22-250. did find a local guy about 40 minutes away and he does have the 270 i want. told him i would be up wednesday night lol. not to offend anybody i am not feeling the axis. hate to see the stevens go but as stated earlier you now buy non accutrigger savages so maybe i will look that way if i need another

Wildboarem
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
IMO this a good deal, I would grab it. I got mine on sale for $275 in .270, wish they had an '06.

rjsixgun
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
As to the rumor that the steves 200 is not being made......savage came out with a whole new line of 200s in new calibers, guess they don't read internet rumers.

As for the 200s made with outa spec parts...........totally false, they are the old savage models pre accutrigger. Rather than junk the tooling, they continue to make the rifle in basic form with cheap stock as a value line. The better stocks go on the newer better line of rifles.

godale
02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
well i went to a small shop in lisbon ohio and got my stevens, mine is the 270 with the camo stock and a egw mount for my finnicky eye relief. out the door for 369.00. he had one more 200 in 30-06 and claimed he will be unable to order more when that is gone. now i need to pick glass

JesterGrin_1
02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
This Last Summer I picked up a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 for a Build at Academy for $175.00. I wish I would have had the funds to get more of them.

Stevens 200 Action,358 Winchester Shaw Barrel Heavy Mag Contour cut to 20 inches, Blasted and Duracoated with Titanium silver,Boyd's thumb hole stock with pillars and bedded with bedrock. The Trigger completely reworked to 1 pound 12 oz. Built by Dangerous Dan.

Bolt Handle built by me but Duracoated by Dangerous Dan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/savage1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/savage2.jpg