PDA

View Full Version : Options for stock on Savage 16???

Pages : [1] 2

AROKHUNTER
01-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I am about to purchase a model 16 FXP3 stainless with blind mag and I already know that I will be looking to replace the stock. I was hoping that some of you could give me some options or even post a pic or two of some stocks that would work with this gun. Either stocks with the sporter barrel or a heavy barrel would be helpful as I may l leave the factory barrel on or I may swap it out for a heavy barrel. I'll see how it shoots and feels first with the factory barrel and then decide if it needs a barrel swap. Thanks.

rusty815
01-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Price range? What will you be doing with the rifle, hunting or paper punching?

AROKHUNTER
01-02-2012, 01:12 AM
I always forget to mention something, and it usally is important! I will be hunting, so I am not interested in a bench style stock. Thanks.

rusty815
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
What about price range? Theres stockade gun stocks, H-S precision, B&C Medalist, Manners, McMillan, and others. Your price range would determine which one would be best for you.

AROKHUNTER
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I would say that around $300 and down would be more to my liking and for $300 I would have to fall in LOVE with the stock. I hope that helps. Thanks again!

jpdown
01-02-2012, 01:25 PM
If you are looking for a good composite hunting stock, then I would look at the Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic. Around 2 lbs in weight. A definate improvement over the plastic factory stock. The only downside is I don't beleive they have converted the Savage SA stocks from the staggerfeed to centerfeed. So you will have to fill/bondo and redrill a new front hole if your Savage 16 is the newer centerfeed action. No modifications are necessary for a Savage LA stagger, or centerfeed, since the action hole spacing did not change. But if I had to choose just one composite hunting stock, the Stockade Gunstock "Hunting Sporter" is my favorite. It has a flat, narrow forend suitable for bench and field shooting. Well worth the 16+ week wait. And DIY "money saving" options are available. Also around 2 lbs in weight.

If you prefer a walnut, or laminate hunting stock, then I would consider a Boyd's. They do offer Savage SA centerfeed stocks. Around 3 lbs in weight. Order the optional press checkering for that classic wood look. Also check to see if they will hollow out the buttstock and forearm to reduce weight. Also take a look on the Numerich gun parts web site. They offer some great deals on Savage overrun stocks. I've picked up a couple of Savage 14 classic stocks for a fantastic price. Oil finished walnut and SS are a beautiful combo.

AROKHUNTER
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to check out all of the stocks you mentioned and see what catches my eye.

rusty815
01-02-2012, 05:32 PM
+1 for stockade, their mule deer stock is also perfect for hunting and, according to their website, is exactly $300 dollars, only downside is the wait time is exceptionally long nowadays, 4-5 months last i heard, but its definitely worth it.

AROKHUNTER
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
I have looked around and I am going to have to get a little more input. I checked out Stockade stocks and I like their stocks and they can be made to fit my SA Centerfeed 16 FSS, but I LOVE the look of the Bell & Carlson Duramaxx or Carbelite in the Freedom Green! Only problem with the Bell & Carlson stocks is that they do not show to be made to fit the SA Centerfeed with 4.40" spacing. What a bummer!!! I do not know what to do? I don't know if the B&C stock could be made to fit or if Stockade Stocks could "copy" the Freedom Green color scheme on one of their stocks. Any suggestions out there?

rusty815
01-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Stockade can paint the stock anyway you want, I think it only costs an extra $15 dollars for special request paint, as in a paint color thats not listed. You should give Kevin Rayhill a call and ask him about his stocks if you want more info.

psharon97
01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
What about a boyds stock? They can be found for about $100. They look nice and function well.

jpdown
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
If you like the Freedom Green B&C Carbelite Classic then it is not that big of a deal to move the front hole to fit a CF action. Just tape the front hole on the bottom. Fill the hole with bedding epoxy or bondo and let harden. Then put the action in the stock and mark the new front hole using an art brush and white-out. You can reach the front hole with the brush through the open port. Then redrill the front hole.

Important Note: I have converted a couple of B&C stocks. Both had a metal spine. So go slow with the drill bit and don't overheat the metal or you will melt the composite material and it may warp or bubble the stock forearm. We won't discuss how I know. I would drill a smaller hole with a brand new sharp bit, then come back with a larger bit to open up the hole to the correct size. Then you can use the art bush and touch-up paint to match the new hole to your stock finsih.

The Duramax is a great stock, but you will have a noticable gap along both sides of a factory sporter barrel. But if you start with the Carbelite Classic, then you can always open up the barrel channel with sand paper and a wood dowel if you decide to go with a larger contour barrel.

AROKHUNTER
01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
psharon97, I thought about a Boyds stock and I have not completely ruled them out. I just really do like a composite stock, so long as it is a good one. But I have been keeping one eye on Boyds Prairie Hunter. The price is about $100 for the stock, but it will have to be shortened for length of pull and I will have to add the Pachmayr Recoil Pad, which adds to the cost. The B&C stocks and the Stockade stocks come with the recoil pad and correct length of pull.
jpdown, thanks for the info! I am glad to hear that you can modify the B&C stock to fit the new centerfeed SA. I have read mixed reviews of the B&C stocks is the only thing that worries me, but the price is great. I have read a lot of reviews saying that the forearm is warped and bigger gaps on one side vs. the other. I have also read a lot of good reviews, so there you go.
Stockade stocks say that their stocks are 100% drop in. That is very appealing. But you pay for it. If they are as good as I have read, it may be worth the extra money.
What to do? Hmmm...........???

jpdown
01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Looks like you have come to grips with the difference between a custom made stock and a mass produced aftermarket stock. The 1" recoil pad on the Stockade and B&C stocks are a welcome addition if you're shooting a heavy caliber.

The Stockade will be a perfect drop-in fit and will be already pillar bedded. It will also accept up to a magnum sporter contor barrel without modification. And the blind magazine box will fit tight without needing the L-Clip. The only down-side is the wait for a custom stock. But it is well worth it if you are looking for a well made, lighter weight composite stock for your hunting rifle.

If you get a B&C Carblite Classic or the Boyds stock, you will most likely have to do some fitting work. For the best fit, top accuracy potential and reliable feeding I have always ending up bedded the action and recoil lug after purchasing a B&C or Boyd's stock. I felt better knowing the barrel and tang are free floated and the action is fitted to the stock. I have found the magazine well in these stocks is usually oversized. Therefore, it was necessary to bed the CF magazine box to keep it in place and positioned at the proper height for reliable feeding. I beleive the L-Clip setting under the rear of the action does little to improve accuracy potential.

These are the steps I use:

1. Purchase a Gunsmith pillar set for Savage 110/111 on Ebay. Wrap 2 rounds of tape around action bolts to center in the pillars. Apply neutral Kwiki shoe polish as release agent to taped bolts and attach pillars to action.

3. Set action in stock and measure for hole spacing. Then drill oversized holes from the top of the stock. You only want to drill deep enough to position the pillared action and barrel in the stock at this point. Take care not to drill an oversized hole completely through your stock forearm. Put 4-6 layers of tape around the barrel and tang to center and free-float in stock. Once you make sure everything fits perfect and level in the stock, you are ready to start the bedding process. You may have to do some dremel work in the recoil lug area to get everyting centered. I only bed the pillars (still attached to the action) into the oversized holes on the first pass. You will need to drill a small hole the size of the front bolt head in the forearem so that your can remove the front action bolt once the pillar is epoxed in place. Then I come back and finish bedding the recoil lug and action on the second pass once I have made sure everything fits stress free and the barrel and tang are floated, and centered with the action setting on the pillars.

4. To bed the magazine box, I put 3 layers of tape along the bottom of the bolt and tape the magaze box in the proper position to the action. Next I press a small ball of plummers epoxy in each corner of the stock magazine well. Don't forget to put release agent on the box metal. Attach the action to the stock pressing the bottom of the magaxine box into the epoxy putty. Tighten down action bolts to the desired torque. Wait 10 minutes and remove action and magaxine box. Use a small blade to trim away any excess putty before it hardens completely. Now you have a fitted base that will hold the magazine box in place at the proper height for smooth feeding. And the spring loaded follower will not push the magazine box all around the oversized stock well, or up against the action. I then throw away the L-clip.

Best of luck on whatever you decide. w

sniper15545
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Boyd's Prarie hunters are a great value. I built a 110 for a buddy of mine a couple of months ago and could not believe the quality of the stock for a $115.00 shipped. They are laminated wood and come in numerous colors. Sporter contour only though!

AROKHUNTER
01-05-2012, 01:54 AM
jpdown, you are full of some incredibly useful info! Thanks a lot for that. I am going to have to really think this one through.

sniper 15545, was the Boyds stock an easy fit or did you have to do a lot of work to get everything to fit correctly?

sniper15545
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
The only fitting it took was a little removed from the tang area as with any stock for a savage. I have to do the same with B&C medalist A2 And the DuraMax.

ellobo
01-05-2012, 11:18 PM
+ one on the Boyds Prairy Hunter. They have them in Walnut as well and its lighter than a laminate.

El Lobo

AROKHUNTER
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Okay fellas, there are a lot of ++++ on the Boyds and I have a picture in my head that I cannot get rid of with a laminate stock and stainless barrel.
So my next question is would either the Boyds Stocks be the better choice or one of Stockys Stocks be better? Also, what are everyone's thoughts on thumbhole stocks? I have never used one, but I am open to the idea. And, does Boyds Stocks or Stockys Stocks have a semi-flat foreend? Any advantages/disavantages to Boyds over Stockys?
I like a semi-flat foreend over a round foreend if I can get it. I have a Remington 700 LS that I acquired in a trade and the stock on it is a laminate Monte Carlo style with a raised cheek piece with about 1 3/4" at the end of the forearm and is semi-flat and I really like it.

jpdown
01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
My guess is Stocky's sources his laminated stocks from Boyd's. So availability, convenience, price and the extras (checkering, adjust LOP, Install better recoil pad) are some things to consider. Call both and check'em out.