PDA

View Full Version : Options for stock on Savage 16???

Pages : 1 [2]

03mossy
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Also, what are everyone's thoughts on thumbhole stocks? I have never used one, but I am open to the idea.

Thumbhole stocks are 100% personal preferance! You either love them or hate them. A true thumbhole stock is a bit uncomfortable to carry for long periods of time, but is awesome for control when its time to shoot. I have a duel grip thumb hole from rifle-stocks.com on one of my guns and its the best of both worlds as you can hold it in the conventional way with your thumb around the stock or in the thumbhole.

sniper15545
01-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I personally never cared for a thumbhole for the simple reason that when your hunting sometimes you have to shoot from a ackward position. I guess its a personal preference thing. The fall camo in the prairie hunter would really be sexy with that stainless barrel though!!! ;D ;D ;D

P.S. The prairie hunter has the flatter foreend with slight flares on the sides.

AROKHUNTER
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info fellas! After talking to a few friends that have had some experience with thumbhole stocks, I think that I will stay away from them. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but for hunting I don't think they would be as sensible as the Prairie Hunter. The thumbhole stocks seem to be an awesome stock if you are doing a lot of bench shooting, or something like that. I am glad to hear that the Prairie Hunter has the flat forend.
Does anyone know what the largest barrel contour is that the Boyds Prairie Hunter will accept, reasonably? Keep the valuable info coming, it is greatly appreciated!!!

sniper15545
01-08-2012, 07:41 AM
They only come in sporter contour. I guess you could open it up for a magnum contour or maybe even varmit. I'm sure Boyds customer service could answer that question better than anyone. Good luck!

AROKHUNTER
01-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Well, I called Boyds Stocks earlier this week and the salesman that I talked to did not have a clue about the largest contour of barrel that would fit the Boyds Prairie Hunter stock. So, I had put the question on Boyds facebook page and I got a response that you could mount a barrel with up to a .875" diameter in this stock according to Boyds Stocks. From what I have read that would be pushing it, but I can't get the idea of that stock out of my head.
With all the options out there, it was a hard choice between a Stockade stock, a Bell & Carlson stock, a Stocky's stock, a Boyds stock, etc.... After talking to the gunsmith that I use and using his advise and knowledge from 30+ years of experience, I ordered the Boyds Prairie Hunter with stippling. I hope it all pans out. I got the pepper laminate to go with my stainless model 16.
This was not an easy decision, but it was a lot easier after listening to all of the awesome information and input from everyone. Thanks a bunch everyone!!!