PDA

View Full Version : Which "brand" barrel? Of these three

Pages : [1] 2

Rover31
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
So if you were going to buy which one and why?
Lothar Walther or Criterion or Shilen?
Thanks
T

Cover Dog
11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I have not tried a LW, but have both of the others. Both look good from the outside, but the bore scope tells me I should buy another CBI before I buy another Shilen.

psharon97
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I got a Douglas barrel from SSS and its a shooter. My next one is a brux.

geargrinder
11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I really like my Krieger and Hart.

More important is a good chamber.

Rover31
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
How about of three mentioned Although thanks for the hints

parkj5
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Shilen

Browningguy
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I've only had Shilen and LW form the list, and either one makes a good shooter. The one I just installed on my 12 FV was a LW because they make exactly the barrel I wanted in a prefit, savage varmint profile, .243 Winny, stainless, 28", 8 twist.

geargrinder
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Whichever one can get it to you quicker or cheaper. They are all about equal in quality.

Eric in NC
11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Had all of them but have never had a Shilen pre-fit nor a Criterion for a Savage (only used their M1 barrels - which are great BTW). All are quality products.

If you are buying a blank it is up to whoever chambers it for you (as was mentioned). If you are buying a prefit - its a wash - consider price and delivery as was said. Might give a tiny edge to Shilen but that may be due to the care of the guys that have cut chambers and crowned them for me.

BoilerUP
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Criterions have won two matches for SavageShooters members over this past year...and the price is hard to beat.

psharon97
11-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Any one of those could give you a nice shooter. What is more important is who chambers the barrel for you as was previously said.

GaCop
11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
I have a LW varmint weight barrel in 6mm Norma BR, 28", 1 in 8 twist. It shoots fantastic out to 300 yards (farthest I've shot it so far). From the start I got very little indication of copper fouling. After 50 rounds break in, all copper indication disappeared.

82boy
11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I would say that out of the three my fovorite is Shilen. I have found Criterion to be good barrel and I would say the quility is that of Shilen. Back in the day Shilen was the go to barrel for many benchrest shooters.

dmsc
11-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I went with a Shilen from here: http://thebarrelman.com/ I had narrowed my options to Lothar(Sin-Arms), Shilen or Criterion. After two weeks and multiple emails to NSS and SinArms not being returned and barrelman returning all of my messages I picked Shilen simply because I was able to actually place the order.

BoilerUP
11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
After two weeks and multiple emails to NSS and SinArms not being returned and barrelman returning all of my messages I picked Shilen simply because I was able to actually place the order.

Did you ever try to call NSS?

Rover31
11-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions
T

barrel-nut
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Better luck with calling Jim than e-mail. I have never had him not return a call the same day, and always helpful and courteous, although sometimes very busy, which is understandable. But if he's not already tied up with someone else, he will answer all your questions, no matter how long it takes, or how basic the question. Very good guy.
I bought one of the first CBI's Jim had for sale a little over a year ago. I haven't been able to do as much load development with it as I'd have liked, but it does very well with the loads I have fed it so far. I've never owned the other two, but was considering a Shilen when I bought the CBI instead. I got mine when he initially offered them for $250, and at that price it was a steal of a deal. Still curious about the Shilen select Match barrels, though. You know, the grass is always greener... Would probably be thinking the same about the CBI if I had bought the Shilen. This is why Master Card loves me...

northlander
11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
NSS here, I was dead in the water when my modem died last week. I just got my replacement modem up and running late last night. My e-mails are my second priority as now days with most guys I need to send four or more e-mails to answer the questions that one quick phone call will handle. If customers have a question it is much easier to call me at 763/682-4296. My current In Stock Shilen inventory has been able to offer most customers their caliber choice from my on the shelf stock.

You will have to call me to place your order anyway. I do not want customers sending me their credit card information via the internet. I do not have a secure e-mail sysytem and I do not want anybodies credit card compromised.

Jim Briggs
NSS

ttfreestyle
11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
I cant help but to give my experience here, Jim at NSS has spent a lot of time on the phone helping me in which direction i need to go and has been straight up with me. I have five of his Criterion prefits on Savages and have nothing but great results with them. My daughter has set two national junior records(Memphis Tn State 300 and 500 yards) and four straight F class open wins this year with 6br Criterion. The two 6brs i have are holding better than half moa at 600(havent tested past that yet). Great service with Jim and Criterion, i wont be switching any time soon.

mattri
11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Jim is absolutely the person you want to talk to. If it takes a little while to get through, then wait your turn. He knows what he is talking about and has actually talked me out of purchases in the past.

I've owned a Shilen and a Criterion and I sold the Shilen, am still shooting the Criteron. They are an excellent barrel, ignore the fact that they are reasonably priced and just look at the success that people are having with them.

Call Jim, order a Criterion and then post your tagets here, you'll make us all happy.