PDA

View Full Version : Barrel crown dressing

Pages : [1] 2

fgw_in_fla
11-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Is there an easy way to dress a barrel crown?
My son's .270 has accuracy issues. The end of the barrel has a few bad dings in it & I'm quite sure it has to affect accuracy. He has no idea how it got damaged :o. (I swear the kid takes after his mother, rest her soul). I was thinking I might use a spherical shaped very fine grinding stone. the kind one would use on a Dremel and such. I have them in different diameters. Can I take one that matches the crown radius / curvature & hand dress it or do I need to take out a mortgage, send it out & have it reworked?
Any input is most appreciated.

howdydoit
11-10-2011, 06:38 AM
you can rework it yourself.

Ive used my RCBS brass reamer/chamfer to clean up a 22 crown, ive also used wooden cone shaped blocks and sand paper on muzzle loader crowns.

Just be careful and go slow.

Good luck

hotbrass
11-10-2011, 12:35 PM
The purpose of the crown is so that when the bullet leaves the barrel, the entire base of the bullet exits the muzzle at the same time so there is no gas blowing on one side of the bullet while the other side is still in contact with the barrel.

In order to do this, you would need a tool that has a spud to keep the tool in proper alignment with the bore. Otherwise you will simply be compounding the problem.

I have the tools and do my own recrowning. You might first start by asking around your shooting friends or at your range and see if someone will help you. Gunsmiths typically do not charge much for crowning unless they have to chuck it up on a lathe.

fgw_in_fla
11-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm headed to the range right now, before the wind picks up & the rain (if applicable) starts. I know a few 600 yard guys that shoot there pretty regular. Past discussions I've heard them say they do most of their own work. I wonder if any of them need any electrical work to trade for a barrel crown dressing?
Most appreciate the input.
Thanx, again.

hotbrass
11-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I do it for free for my friends. Or I let them do it while I supervise, in case they dont like what they get. ;)

bbradford71
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I had my 30 year old 30-06 re-crowned a few years ago and I think it cost me $50 if that.

ellobo
11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I strongly suggest having it professionaly done. Well worth the small expense. Also check that the barrel and tang are free floated, the action screws are tight (35-45 in lbs) and accuracy may improve. If this rifle has been shot quite a bit check to see if the barrel needs to be de-coppered. Adding pillars for the mounting screws may help. There are many reasons why accuracy falls off but those I mentioned are ones you can do yourelf except for the barrel crown. Savager barrels shoot better dirty except for excess copper which can happen in new Savage barrels until they smooth out. Good luck.

El Lobo

hotbrass
11-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Savager barrels shoot better dirty except for excess copper which can happen in new Savage barrels until they smooth out.

Hey I love that! I wonder why other barrels dont shoot good dirty? Is it just Savage? :o

ellobo
11-10-2011, 08:14 PM
HotBrass, it has something to do with the button broached rifling which most makers are using on thier facotry installed barrels. In days gone by barrels were cut broached which was much smoother. I imagine it does it to other makes as well. I only have a Mauser commercial actioned rifle, a Winchester model 88 that is 60+ yrs old to go along with my Savages so cant answer to other makers barrels. The Mauser has a cut rifled barrel and is silky smooth and sub MOA. The gold and silver inlays dont hurt either :). The model 88 is Minute of Deer accurate.

El Lobo.

sha-ul
11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Do a search for "brass screw" "lapping compound" crown, came up with the following.

Check the crown. Put white out on the end of the crown to check the muzzle blast pattern. It should look like this. Nice and even. If it does not you may need to polish the end. It is super easy and cheap. All you need is a screw gun, polishing compound, and a round headed brass screw. Chuck the screw in the screwgun, smear it with polishing compound and stick the screw in the muzzle for a few seconds. If the crown is not to bad then it will polish away any imperfections. Clean it good and reshoot. I did this with a friends 93wmr and it really cleaned the groups up, helped a lot.
http://www.mindspring.com/~stephenparks/ruger/dirty%20muzzle%203%20small%20copy.jpg

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Do a search for "brass screw" "lapping compound" crown, came up with the following.

Check the crown. Put white out on the end of the crown to check the muzzle blast pattern. It should look like this. Nice and even. If it does not you may need to polish the end. It is super easy and cheap. All you need is a screw gun, polishing compound, and a round headed brass screw. Chuck the screw in the screwgun, smear it with polishing compound and stick the screw in the muzzle for a few seconds. If the crown is not to bad then it will polish away any imperfections. Clean it good and reshoot. I did this with a friends 93wmr and it really cleaned the groups up, helped a lot.
http://www.mindspring.com/~stephenparks/ruger/dirty%20muzzle%203%20small%20copy.jpg

Insane. Not on my guns!

Ray Gunter
11-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Insane. Not on my guns!

Done this many times. But only to barrels that needed a crown job. If it dosn't work I take it to a smith for a professional job. Most times "it works"

sha-ul
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Insane. Not on my guns!

Done this many times. But only to barrels that needed a crown job. If it dosn't work I take it to a smith for a professional job. Most times "it works"

I guess he doesn't realize that the Savage repair shop uses this technique too.

Handloader
11-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Here ya go.......
http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA#p/search/1/x3ELBpqYCQc
you can use brass screws as well (watch the video...you will understand).

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Insane. Not on my guns!

I guess he doesn't realize that the Savage repair shop uses this technique too.

A brass screw for a crown job? I like to hear that from Savage.

keeki
11-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I dont think brass is gonna hurt it regardless. You stick brass in the other end.lol

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Not thinking about brass hurting it. My concern is how are you going to polish off a high spot freehand
without also polishing off the low parts of the crown. That is why you need a spud or bore guide to keep the polishing at the correct angle in line with the bore.

keeki
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
if you use a round brass button no matter how you hold it its gonna polish at the same angle

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Yes, and it will polish the low side as well as the high side, so what have you accomplished?

sha-ul
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, and it will polish the low side as well as the high side, so what have you accomplished?

The high bit will polish down faster than the surrounding areas, as they will have less pressure on them, until the surface is uniform all around. just like lapping in a valve.