PDA

View Full Version : Barrel crown dressing

Pages : 1 [2]

keeki
11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
the ball will ride on the high points until it creates the perfect cradle to ride in. Once the hole is round, then it will be even pressure on the edges of the entire circle

Eric in NC
11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, and it will polish the low side as well as the high side, so what have you accomplished?

The high bit will polish down faster than the surrounding areas, as they will have less pressure on them, until the surface is uniform all around. just like lapping in a valve.

+1 - here is Brownell's version for the pros - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=855/Product/POWER-CUSTOM-BRASS-MUZZLE-CROWNING-LAP

I have used both the Brownells product and a nice round head brass screw - both work fine but if you are nervous about it a smith should only charge about $40-60 to crown a barrel for you (be advised he will probably be using some version of the brass lap to finish things up!).

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
the ball will ride on the high points until it creates the perfect cradle to ride in. Once the hole is round, then it will be even pressure on the edges of the entire circle

Uh, not really but it you think you can control it that well. Have at it.

hotbrass
11-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes, and it will polish the low side as well as the high side, so what have you accomplished?

The high bit will polish down faster than the surrounding areas, as they will have less pressure on them, until the surface is uniform all around. just like lapping in a valve.

+1 - here is Brownell's version for the pros - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=855/Product/POWER-CUSTOM-BRASS-MUZZLE-CROWNING-LAP

I have used both the Brownells product and a nice round head brass screw - both work fine but if you are nervous about it a smith should only charge about $40-60 to crown a barrel for you (be advised he will probably be using some version of the brass lap to finish things up!).

Yes looks just like mine. But it is used after you cut the crown. If you just go after a bad crown with it , you will end up with another bad crown, but it will be nice and polished.

http://webpages.charter.net/hotbrass/crowntool.jpg

fgw_in_fla
11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks to all for all of the really cool ideas. I ended up doing it the el cheapo way. I have a bunch of polishing stones in every size / shape imaginable. Many of them are very fine stones so, I used a 5/8 inch diameter sphere & hand polished the crown. Worked like a charm. The range test revealed that was the problem. It started to shoot to the high left and very scattered. This was using ammo that was typically on the money accurate. When I got it, the crown was clearly chipped / gouged with no explanation from my son on how it happened. It almost looked like somebody had used a nail or something and was picking at the muzzle / crown. Maybe I'll beat it out of him....
Anyway, the stone sphere I used was very fine & left a nice shine to it. Now, all I need to worry about is rusting.
Thanks again to all for your input.

howdydoit
11-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Im happy it worked out for you.

I little DIY and some Patients is all you need. Where not performing brain surgery here.

GaCop
11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Oxpho-Blu will touch up the bright spot nicely.

fgw_in_fla
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Ga Cop - Oxpho Blu?
Is that something I can get around town or do I need to make a call to Natchez, Midway, etc....?

Thanks to all, again.

Eric in NC
11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Oxpho Blue comes from Brownells.com. It does a good job of looking like hot blue.