PDA

View Full Version : To brake or not to brake

Pages : [1] 2

bsekf
11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Never saw much reason to brake anything 308 and under unless you were just trying to deafen your shooting buddies or wanted to keep the dust off the bench. Yesterday, while shooting a braked 260 at steel, it was great to be able to see the impact, even at 200 yds. With an un-braked 7-08, I can't get back on the target to see impact even at 500 yds. Makes shooting by yourself much more productive. Maybe you guys with braked 223's are on to something! My 400 and 500 yard steel is so heavy a 223 dosen't even wiggle them. I have to keep them painted and hope I am seeing bullet impact through the spotting scope. I do wear amplifying ear muffs and plugs and can hear the steel ring at over 300 yards.

Bill "too soon old, too late smart"

airaddict
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
My compensated 223 AR was a joy to watch the bullet splash on steel at 200 yrds.

Even w a compensated 22lr i could see the vapor trail when shooting at our 200 yrd gong.

Brian

DonArkie
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I believe certain calibers need it and for certain applications. Some folks have them put on for all the wrong reasons, thinking they look cool or intimating a certain look. It took me 3 to 6 months of research on a break having my long range rifle built. Looks aint a issue, functionality is my reason & application is. I ended up with the JP enterprise Recoil Eliminator. For me shoot'n Texas hogs or steel @ 800 yards plus and having a fast target acquisition for the follow-up shot is a must specially in mag cal's. For me it made a difference from a hard hitting 7mm Mag to less than a 25-06. I dont see what the big deal for muzzle blast from a breaked, ported, guns, I've been around non-breaked, non-ported guns that were just as deafening. When your shoot'n any how you should be wearing ears.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/DonM1/Picture8951.jpg

My turkey gun is extended ported, both barrels, my reason for this is quick follow-up shots if need, limit barrel rise & recoil. When I'm in the turkey wood and I need that fast follow-up shot do to MY error or I'm hunting in a state were you can tag 2 birds in the same day & have the choice of doubling up in that hunt, their my other reason for this topic subject.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/DonM1/donsstoegercondor2.jpg

hotbrass
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Use a silencer/suppressor instead of a brake. It can increase your accuracy, reduce recoil and will suppress your muzzle blast. But it may not be legal to own or hunt with one in your state. But just for shooting fun it makes it more enjoyable.

Ring31
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Use a silencer/suppressor instead of a brake. It can increase your accuracy, reduce recoil and will suppress your muzzle blast. But it may not be legal to own or hunt with one in your state. But just for shooting fun it makes it more enjoyable.

this... or get this break for 45$

http://i.minus.com/jd5Q1Yi8z.JPG (http://min.us/ld5Q1Yi8z)

break from
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2676303&page=1

jsthntn247
11-09-2011, 03:47 PM

break from
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2676303&page=1

Did you get this thing Nitrided/Painted or what?? If so how much did that run you.

bbradford71
11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I have found that if you are shooting a higher caliber rifle that has some jumping after impact that a break really helps accuracy when shooting off a bipod. I am able to reduce the amount of jump I get therefore am able to stay consistent with my point of aim

psharon97
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm going to have a break installed on my 7mm Rem mag that SSS is building for me. I wanted something that would reduce the recoil and allow for quick target acquisition at long range. I don't buy rifles for tacticool reasons.

D.ID
11-09-2011, 10:11 PM
The brake pictured above is Ross Schuler's. Great product, Great price and you can't do better than doing business with Ross. I have three of his brakes. The wife's 270 win, The wife's 7mm and my 338 edge all of which can witness impact even at 100 yards when fired from a good position. My 13lb fully equipped 338 edge he chambered for me (from a 338 win) can witness 100 yard impact at 24x magnification when shooting from prone. That being said there are some advantages to unbraked rifles for hunting purposes. I personally would not brake the 338 win or smaller if it is primarily a hunting rifle but for strictly target use........... absolutely. This year was the first season hunting with my 338 edge and the walker game ear became a practical yet expensive solution to hearing protection in the field.

dacaur
11-10-2011, 01:16 AM
I never saw the big deal about why people dont like brakes.... till I was developing a load for hunting this year, a few times at the range I was next to a guy with a brake, and let me tell you, it SUCKED.... Even with ear protection its ridiculously stupid loud.... I would have to watch them and wait till they shot, then I could shoot, becuase if I was lining up a shot and they shot, it made me jump and throw off my shot every time..... Not saying anything negative about brakes, just that they dont belonge at a crowded rifle range. My $0.02

AKShooter
11-10-2011, 02:19 AM
I'm with you dacaur. They don't belong on a range or in my mind on a hunt with more than just you. While I do like the idea of faster follow ups but if you make the first one count....

Some may like them for recoil reduction but I guess I'm a recoil junkie. 6.5lb 338wm is my moose gun. I also don't think my stepdads .375rum is that bad.

Seeing your hits is nice and is the only real purpose I see for one.

bbradford71
11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Comparing apples and oranges! I agree if you are talking about a hunting rifle then no a break is not really needed, but if you are referring to a gun used strictly for competition then a break can be a valuable asset. Competition is all about precise accuracy and time where hunting is not.

Just my thoughts

D.ID
11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I do not belong on a crowded rifle range either! I love Idaho! For me personally....... Hunting IS when precision matters and there is more at stake than just paper. But then again I am not in the competitive game because I don't want to do the crowded rifle range (see previous sentence) Kind of a catch-22

DonArkie
11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
it's funny how some re-act to muzzle breaks. Most ranges have anywhere between dozen to 2 dozen shooting benches. I see any were between 1/2 the guns at ranges that are after-marketed breaked or came with factory breaks. It seems to me whether its a private range club or public range the complainers seem to park their butts next to the guns that are big bores or breaked guns when theirs other empty available benches threw out the rifle range.
I remember back in the late 80's I owned a Mc Millian 50 cal. heck-of-a-gun(wish I never sold it). I was the only guy at the range. A father & son came in and decided to set-up next to me. I suggested that they should move down a few bench do to the blast from the rifle. The father took my suggestion the wrong way and became aggressive in tone, fine I said. The son was admiring the rifle and the daddy was very curt & short. I called a seize fire (I was the only one) and the dad stapled his target @ 25 yards and pulled a speed-master .22 from the case. I spoke out live fire and made sure their ears were in and I touched off a round. Thats all it took, the muzzle blast knock off the dads ball cap and the son jaw dropped in total awe! The dad went to the range master office and complained about the rifle. The funny thing is..........and where my true story is getting the range master told the dad that I was in the legal limits of the range & law & that I had every right to be their. Thats their were several other benches available that if he didnt like the where they were at , just move. I found this out from Phillip the range master later on. Here's another kicker, the son kept coming to my bench asking me all about this rifle and how cool it was. The father eventually came and apologized for his rude behavior.
I hate the fact that some folks want to single out certain people from ranges do to the configuration of their firearms. If a gun is too loud I simply put in ear plugs in along wearing ear muffs. I'm not stating anyone on here.

jsthntn247
11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
The brake pictured above is Ross Schuler's. Great product, Great price and you can't do better than doing business with Ross. I have three of his brakes. The wife's 270 win, The wife's 7mm and my 338 edge all of which can witness impact even at 100 yards when fired from a good position. My 13lb fully equipped 338 edge he chambered for me (from a 338 win) can witness 100 yard impact at 24x magnification when shooting from prone. That being said there are some advantages to unbraked rifles for hunting purposes. I personally would not brake the 338 win or smaller if it is primarily a hunting rifle but for strictly target use........... absolutely. This year was the first season hunting with my 338 edge and the walker game ear became a practical yet expensive solution to hearing protection in the field.

I got one of Ross's brake's on my 7mag and absolutely love it. I thought he only made them in stainless though?

hotbrass
11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Seems like every other gun on our range now is a AR-15/AR-10/AR-25. Guess what sits on the end of the barrel on almost everyone of them? I dont hear any complaints.

We have one guy that shoots his S&W 500 frequently. Fortunately he doesnt shoot it but a dozen times or so. If he is near me, I just take a break, I know he will be done in less than 10 minutes.

I still like suppressors/silencers! ;D

Handloader
11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
[quote=jsthntn247 ]
[quote=D.ID ]

I have six of his brakes (2 for .308's,two for 7mm Mgas, one for a 30-06, and one on a .300 win). He does great work, and the brakes are very effective

Ring31
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM

break from

Did you get this thing Nitrided/Painted or what?? If so how much did that run you.

nitrided.. it was 45 shipped as SS

dacaur
11-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Seems like every other gun on our range now is a AR-15/AR-10/AR-25. Guess what sits on the end of the barrel on almost everyone of them? I dont hear any complaints.

Most of those are just flash hiders, which dont affect the sound (or muzzle jump), and even when it is a brake, its still a .223 most of the time so no big deal.... Big difference between a braked .223 and a braked .270 win or .300 WM...

Also just want to make a note, I didn't say brakes dont belong on a rifle range, I said I believe (aka, my opinion) they dont belong on a CROWDED range, where I dont have the choice to go elsewhere.... Most of the year its not a big deal, as most people with brakes are nice guys and wont set up next to you, (and I quickly learned to look for brakes when looking for a place to set up) But during september/october the range was pretty well full every day so little choice of seats.

hotbrass
11-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Brakes, flash suppressors call it what you want, they all direct expanding gasses away from the muzzle and make the gun louder.