PDA

View Full Version : To brake or not to brake

Pages : 1 [2]

dacaur
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
No, There is actualy a big difference. A brake works by redirecting the gasses up/back/any way but forward, which redirects the sound as well. A flash hider will actualy make it a little quieter behind the muzzle, since it actualy directs the blast forward. You can tell the difference between a brake and flash hider by looking at them. If the hole at the front is about the same size as the bore, its a brake, basicaly, as the bullet travels through that hole at the end, the gasses are directed out the ports in the side's/top since the bullet is blocking the way forward, if the hole at the front is much bigger than the bore, its a flash hider, its obvious looking at it its not going to redirect the gasses.

hotbrass
11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes I do know what the difference is. And yes, flash suppressors are louder to the shooter and bystanders than no flash suppressor and gas does exhaust through the cuts at supersonic speed.

I wonder why they changed the A1 flash suppressor with ports cut all around to a A2 flash suppressor with the gas ports only on the top and sides? If I recall it was to not only reduce the flash signature but also to compensate for muzzle rise.

Thank you!

I still prefer silencers! ;D

Varget 7-08
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I think the big advantage of the brake is being able to shoot multiple rounds instead of just a few. In my experience the brake is loud, but not what people make it out to be. My friend took her "ears" off while we were shooting, I didn't notice and fired my braked 300WM while she was sitting next to me. She said it was loud, but didn't have any ringing in her ears and was fine.

While at the range the other day, we were shooting the .260 and braked 300WM. There was one other shooter on the range shooting his 300WM. After seeing my female friend putting 20+ 300WM rounds downrange, he came over and was asking about the rifle's setup, telling us he wants to get a brake on his 300 because he could only shoot 12 rounds and had to take break because the recoil was too much. So a 105lb woman was able to put more rounds downrange than a ~180lb man all thanks to a well designed brake. Shooting next to the brake isn't a big deal either. Plus. seeing the rounds hit is a bonus.

Now on a hunting rifle, a brake is debatable, depending on the rifle's purpose, e.g. hog gun, varmint gun were a faster follow up shot may be needed because of multiple hogs, yotes etc. So I think the brake making the rifle intolerably "loud" is just hype, along with hurricane force muzzle blast; though it does depend on how well the brake is designed. It's not a jet engine after all.

D.ID
11-11-2011, 06:40 PM
My wife got her first brake put on her 270 (a gentry Quiet brake) which really did not help with recoil much....... she opened up on a coyote in our first outing aside from range time and all three of us had ringing ears for half a day. Three of us hunt together all the time and prior to the addition of muzzle brakes we did not use hearing protection for the occasional shots used hunting but since two of us started using brakes all three have acknowledged it as a must. Going without is no longer a viable option. If you brake your rifle plan on NEEDING protection in the field. Concussion is not a problem for the shooter but if you are ten feet left or right of shooter you will really feel the shot.

dacaur
11-12-2011, 12:25 AM
I wonder why they changed the A1 flash suppressor with ports cut all around to a A2 flash suppressor with the gas ports only on the top and sides? If I recall it was to not only reduce the flash signature but also to compensate for muzzle rise.

Actualy the a2 has no ports on the bottom is so that it doesnt kick up dust when firing prone.... Yes some gasses do escape through the ports, but not enough to make a significant difference in muzzle rise, thats what brakes are for.... ::)

squirrelsniper
11-12-2011, 04:10 AM
I don't use brakes on anything where I don't need them to shoot comfortably. To me they are just one more variable. You add something to the barrel that can potentially hurt accuracy, or it can increase accuracy, or it could not do either one. You're basically adding something that affects gas flow similar to how the barrel crown influences gas flow, as well as introducing a weighted object to the barrel which changes the harmonics. It all depends on how straight the muzzle is threaded, how precisely the brake is made, and how the barrel responds to the added device. I prefer to just keep it simple and forego them for most uses.

On the other hand, I have no problems with brakes, flash hiders, or porting and will use them when I feel they are of enough benefit to introduce that variable to the shooting system. For rifles, pistols or shotguns that recoil heavily, I am often willing to go to porting or a brake for more comfortable shooting. For ARs, AKs, and similar weapons I may employ for self defense, a flash hider than helps reduce the blinding muzzle flash in low light means more to me than a potential accuracy loss.

bowhunter42
11-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm ALL for breaks. I have one installed on my 300WM and is the only way to go. My girl friend's 12 year old daughter has shot this rifle and shot it well. This rifle is used for both long range target shooting and hunting, I have learned to wear ear plugs loosely in my ears and when its time to take a shot, I just push them in a little tighter. It has worked petty good for me this hunting season. I have also noticed when im wearing ear plugs and behind the rifle, Its like being in the zone and im more prone to make a great shot.