PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite medium size game recipes here

Pages : [1] 2

EFBell
12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Alright guys, we have to cook it now that it's in the freezer so lets share those favorite venison or other medium size game recipes here. Please lets try to stay on track here with recipes, questions and comments about cooking our game animals.

Thanks for sharing! Ed B.

EFBell
12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Smoked Venison Back Strap (Loin)

You will need the following;
Morton's Tender Quick or other cure agent
Marinade needle
Brown Sugar
Kosher or course salt
Raw Cane Sugar
Boneless Venison Back Strap
Smoker, hickory chips

Mix 1-tablespoon tender quick per pound of meat with brown sugar, about 3 to 1 ratio
Add enough clean cool water to make a thick syrup
Inject meat with syrup and place in plastic bag, pour remaining mixture over the meat and place in refrigerator, let cure at least a week.

Remove back strap from cure rinse lightly and pat dry.
Place in smoker with a good hickory or other hardwood in the smoker and smoke for about 4 hours; be sure internal temperature reaches 160 deg F.

Remove from smoker and coat with a thick paste of brown sugar and water while still hot and dust with natural cane sugar and course salt to taste.

I prefer this cold, sliced in thin medallions and served with a good sharp cheese.

Trust me, this will not last long!

Enjoy

CaptnDan
01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
From Aim4Gold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke-Flavored Venison Summer Sausage

4 lbs coarse ground venison
1 lb pork sausage
1 cup water
¾ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
1 ½ tsp onion salt
1 to ½ Tbsp Peppercorns (I use ½ Tbsp and grind it up)
4 Tbsp tender quick salt
2 ½ Tbsp mustard seed
3 Tbsp McCormicks hickory smoke salt

Mix all ingredients.
Form into 5 rolls. Wrap in aluminum foil and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. Place in a shallow baking dish, poke toothpick holes in the bottom of the foil for drainage. Bake at 140 degree oven for 8 hours.
Remove from oven and cool to room Temp. Leave in aluminum foil and freeze until ready to serve.

Aim4gold
01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Deano’s Venison Jerky

Great Venison Jerky
8 tsp table salt
2 tsp Black Pepper (1 for milder jerky)
1 tsp Cayene
1 ½ tsp Cardamon
1 tsp Marjoram
3 tsp Accent
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp Tender Quick or Adolph’s Tenderizer
1 oz Liquid Smoke

Grind up (5 Lbs) Venison – Add Seasonings – put in jerky shooter and onto dehydrator trays. Try to make your strips thicker if you like chewy, thinner if you like hard.

Set dehydrator at 140 to 150 for 7 hrs
(make sure it’s 5#, no more and no less)

CaptnDan
01-02-2007, 10:27 AM
From Aim4Gold

Venison Sausage

4 ½ lbs ground venison
1 lb pork sausage
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp hickory smoked salt
2 ½ tsp garlic powder
2 /12 tsp mustard seeds
2 ½ tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Remove in 24 hours and remix. Return to refrigerator for 3 days.. After 3 days, shape into 5 logs. Bake in oven for 8 hours at 140 degrees or 12 hours in your outdoor smoker.

JCalhoun
01-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I usually get the deer meat done into burger as it is so versatile.

Here's one of my favorites.

You'll need deer burger, hashbrowns, onion, peppers, bacon, garlic, olive oil, and cream of mushroom soup.

Fry a few strips of bacon in a large skillet. Once bacon is done, fry burger in same skillet (keep bacon grease in skillet). Add a little salt as it cooks. Drain grease occassionally. When finished, place on paper towel to drain.

In a seperate large skillet, fry hashbrowns in olive oil. While this is going on, chop onion, peppers (whatever kinds you like) and garlic. When hashbrowns are about halfway finished, add these. Finish frying.

Now, make a bowl of cream of mushroom soup. This is to be used as a thick gravy so don't add too much water but be sure to use enough soup. Heat but do not boil. Add butter if you want to.

Put burger into skillet that has the hashbrowns and chop/shread the bacon and place on top of the burger. Mix all together. Now pour the cream of mushroom on top of the meat/hashbrowns and spread until it completely covers it. Let set for about 5 minutes.

Now it's READY!

bnred9
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM

You'll need deer burger, hashbrowns, onion, peppers, bacon, garlic, olive oil, and cream of mushroom soup.

Fry a few strips of bacon in a large skillet. Once bacon is done, fry burger in same skillet (keep bacon grease in skillet). Add a little salt as it cooks. Drain grease occassionally. When finished, place on paper towel to drain.

In a seperate large skillet, fry hashbrowns in olive oil. While this is going on, chop onion, peppers (whatever kinds you like) and garlic. When hashbrowns are about halfway finished, add these. Finish frying.

Now, make a bowl of cream of mushroom soup. This is to be used as a thick gravy so don't add too much water but be sure to use enough soup. Heat but do not boil. Add butter if you want to.

Put burger into skillet that has the hashbrowns and chop/shread the bacon and place on top of the burger. Mix all together. Now pour the cream of mushroom on top of the meat/hashbrowns and spread until it completely covers it. Let set for about 5 minutes.

Now it's READY!

This was great!! I used some buffalo burger and the wife even liked the dish.

JCalhoun
01-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, somebody actually tried it? Glad you liked it. :)

ceylonc
01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Here are two recipes that I enjoy...

1) Seared Venison Backstrap
--one backstrap, be sure to remove the "silver" tissue;
--kosher salt;
--minced onion;
--minced garlic;
--rubbed sage;
--ground black pepper (fresh);
--1/2 to 3/4 cup red wine (I prefer a cab, red zin, or pinot);
--2 pats butter;
--extra virgin olive oil

Preparation and seasoning: once the silver tissue has been removed from the backstrap, grab a sharp knife and slice the meat into medallions. I like each cut to be about 1/2" thick. Next, lay out the medallions on a cookie tray or some other flat surface. Now season each slice (both sides) with the kosher salt, minced onion & garlic, rubbed sage and fresh ground black pepper. Gently pat down on each side to make sure the seasonings will stay on the meat. Next, pour the red wine into a shallow bowl or plate. Now dip both sides or each medallion into the red wine. Once this is done, let sit for about 10-15 minutes.
Cooking: place your skillet over the burner on high heat. Pour olive oil into the skillet and add a pat of butter. Once skillet is hot, place medallions (as many as your skillet will hold) into the pan. Let meat sear until you begin to see juices coming up on the top side of the medallion. Now turn the medallions over and let sear for about 90-120 seconds. Remove slices from skillet and enjoy!

**I like this dish straight up accompanied with veggies but the cuts go GREAT on Sister Schubert dinner rolls with a dab of horseradish mayonaissse.

2) Ground Venison Burgers
--1 pound ground venison;
--kosher salt;
--minced onions;
--minced garlic;
--season salt;
--whole basil;
--1/2 cup Dale's marinade;

Preparation & Seasoning: pull off small chunks of the ground venison (about 1/4 pound per chunk) and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle seasonings on the meat & pour a small "shooter" of Dales. Toss the meat over in the bowl a few times to spread the seasonings. Now do this 3 more times until the entire pound of ground venison is in the bowl and seasoned. Now grab a handful of the ground and form into a burger patty, making sure NOT to flatten out a thin patty but rather a patty that is about 3/4" thick or more.

Cooking: once grill is hot & ready to cook, place patties on the grill for about 5 minutes. Do not mash down on the meat as that squeezes out all the juices. After 5 minutes flip the burgers & let cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from grill and throw on whatever condiments you like & enjoy!

ALWAYSARMED
02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Wild hog

1 jar of pork rub (grill mates)
small box of brown suger
Kraft hot BBQ sauce

1. Mix rub and suger and apply generously to hog
2. wrap in foil
3. Smoke at 200-250 degrees for 6 hours with wood of choice( I prefer a mixture of oak hickory and pecan). 4.Open foil and apply sauce every 10 minutes for 30 minutes.(more or less depending on personal tastes)

Good for any pork, store bought or wild

ArmedFerret
02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Venison Roast with Sour Cream Gravy

3-4 pound venison roast
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
8 ounce can water chestnuts or sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons parsley
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 cup water
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup dairy sour cream

In duch oven brown venison roast on all sides in olive oil. Add onions, water chestnuts or mushrooms, salt, parsley, Italian seasoning, and water. Cover and cook slowly on top of the stove or in a moderate oven (350 degrees) about 2-1/2 hours or until venison is fork tender. Remove roast. Mix flour into sour cream and gradually stir into pan drippings, stirring until thickened. Serve gravy over slices of venison and mashed potatoes (or egg noodles). Enjoy!

**we used mushrooms instead of chestnuts, and browned in a skillet and cooked in a crock pot. for those who missed the pic in the picture forum:

http://members.cox.net/armed_ferret/dinner.JPG

urbaneruralite
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Venison Roast with Sour Cream Gravy
http://members.cox.net/armed_ferret/dinner.JPG

We do something very similar, though I think I may live in a less dangerous area than you. Or are those pistols to make sure the cook does a good job? Mighty tasty either way!

POPOPEEK
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
TEQUILA/LIME BACKSTRAP

Taka a long length of backstrap (remove silver lining) and marinate in tequila and a few fresh limes. I also throw in a few fresh mint leaves (not to many it will overpower). Marinate overnight in fridge. Sear as if it were a porterhouse steak on the grill over Hickory chips.

JimDee
08-27-2008, 04:39 AM
Start with one medium sized elephant.
call about 100 natives to skin and bone it out in serving size pieces and transport back to camp in plastic bags.

jlcpls
12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone have a LOW-SODIUM alternative to marinade for jerking my deer?

EFBell
07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
For a lot of good information on preserving your game meat take a look here.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

GUNFANATIC
07-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Now it's READY!

I've been looking for some new ways to fix all that ground deer. I made this dish the other day and it really was great. Thanks for this recipe. ;D

dogjaw
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Slow cooked venison BBQ.
This is as simple as it gets. Cut venison into approx. 1" cubes, and brown in a skillet. Place in a slow cooker and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Original Open Pit or Sweet Baby Ray's works well. Cook on low heat. Serve on a plate or in a sandwich. Folks have sworn they were eating beef.

dogdown
11-26-2010, 08:56 AM
you must check out this months issue of Outdoor Life. some outstanding recipes in there

conley82
02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
One of my favorite for deer is very simple. Cut in chunks about 3/4 cubes and soak in your favorite hot sauce for about 24 hours. Here in the south texas pete is first choice but im sure others will work just fine. Then bread in your favorite breader and fry. I use house autry breader as they are my favorite.
Also chunks wrapped in bacon and soaked in zesty italian dressing and cooked on the grill is another favorite