PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite medium size game recipes here

Pages : 1 [2]

Uncle Jack
02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
LOW-SODIUM Jerky is an oxymoron. The salt is the primary ingredient for curing the meat. You could substitute sugar as a curing agent, but I not sure I'd like the taste unless you smoked it with a good aromatic wood.

uj

irondog54
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Wild Boar Sandwiches

Start with a chunk of boar neck, roast or ham that will fit into the crock pot. A Nesco works , too. The wife will know what a nesco is...
Slice 3 big onions, put two on the bottom of the crock pot.
Chop 4 stalks of celery place into bottom of the pot.

Salt and pepper the bottom of the pot, heavily.
Place neck or roast into crock pot.

Pour on 2 cups of your favorite salsa.
Place remaining onion on roast.
Salt pepper, onion powder to taste.

Squirt on 1/2 cup catsup. Squirt on 1/2 cup Kansas City Masterpiece BBQ sauce.
Pour 1 can of regular Coca Cola or Pepsi into the bottom of pot.

Cook on high for 2-3 hours, then 12 hours on very low heat. Stir to check doneness.
Pull out bones, chop meat with a spoon to make it consistent. Use a slotted spoon to strain meat onto big (buttered) hamburger buns.

Add KC Masterpiece toand cheese to taste....

Oh yeah, a 12 pack of beer and potato chips make it a meal.

You can use any beef or pork in this recipe. I used an old tough Barbarossa ram once, and it was passable.... 8)

scnewt
01-09-2012, 01:36 AM
I usually get the deer meat done into burger as it is so versatile.

Here's one of my favorites.

You'll need deer burger, hashbrowns, onion, peppers, bacon, garlic, olive oil, and cream of mushroom soup.

Fry a few strips of bacon in a large skillet. Once bacon is done, fry burger in same skillet (keep bacon grease in skillet). Add a little salt as it cooks. Drain grease occassionally. When finished, place on paper towel to drain.

In a seperate large skillet, fry hashbrowns in olive oil. While this is going on, chop onion, peppers (whatever kinds you like) and garlic. When hashbrowns are about halfway finished, add these. Finish frying.

Now, make a bowl of cream of mushroom soup. This is to be used as a thick gravy so don't add too much water but be sure to use enough soup. Heat but do not boil. Add butter if you want to.

Put burger into skillet that has the hashbrowns and chop/shread the bacon and place on top of the burger. Mix all together. Now pour the cream of mushroom on top of the meat/hashbrowns and spread until it completely covers it. Let set for about 5 minutes.

Now it's READY!

Just tried this recipe and I loved it!!! Always open to new ways to fix deer especially since we have already killed 6 deer this season between my brothers, roomate, and myself.

Thanks for the recipe!!!

lscraig1968
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Venison Crock Pot Roast

This is my venison recipe before I found a good butcher, but it is really good:

- Venison ham cut across the bone to the size of your crock pot.

- Soak the venison in iced salt water for one or two days dumping out the water each day and adding ice to keep cold.

- remove ALL FAT AND SILVER SKIN.

- place in crock pot on low before you leave for work.

- add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

- pour a can of Campbells Golden mushroom soup over the roast and turn the crock pot on low and go to work.

When you get home the roast will be falling off the bone which can be removed to slice the roast. Remove the roast from the crock and let it cool for at least 15 min before trying to cut into servings. The broth in the bottom of the crock can be made into gravy or used as au jus.

Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies of your choice. Eaten venison that way all my life and it is one of my favorite game dishes.

Titan_Bow
02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
http://s18.postimage.org/r4240ixex/20121001_204454.jpg

One of my favorite things after an antelope hunt! This is something that can be done at camp or within a day, maybe 2 or 3 at the most, after the kill:

1 heart of a freshly harvested antelope (could use deer as well)

Clean the heart, removing the valves, and the white, sinewy tissue. Then cut into large, equal pieces for the grill. Put the pieces in a ziplock bag and marinate for several hours to overnight in the fridge. Marinade is 1 cup beef stock, 2 tbs red wine vinegar, juice of 1 lime, handful of rough chopped cilantro, 1 tbs smoked paprika, 1tbs chile powder, 1 chipolte in adobo, chopped, 2 tbs of the adobo sauce.

Remove from marinade, and get the grill ready. Grill over hardwood coals, and add a few mesquite wood chips to generate some smoke. Grill approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Dont overcook, as there is very little fat in the heart muscle.

Serve on warmed corn torillas, with chopped onion and cilantro and lime wedges. Garnish also with a lime - cilantro sour cream, and the sauce from the Chipolte in Adobo.

Marinade:
1cup Beef Stock
2tb red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
handful of chopped cilantro
1tbs smoked paprika
1tbs chile powder
1 pepper from a small can of chipotle in adobo
2tbs of the adobo sauce from that same can

Lime-Cilantro Sour Cream:

1 cup sour cream
juice from 1/2 lime, or if using small limes, use juice from a whole one
1tb of chopped cilantro

JCalhoun
03-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Stuffed venison meatloaf.

2 lbs. ground deer burger

1/2 lbs. chopped grilled or fried skinny link pork sausage (in Alabama, Conecuh is best)

2 to 3 slices of fried bacon chopped into small bits

1/4 lbs. shredded cheese (I like sharp cheddar but Colby-jack and Swiss is good too)

2 eggs

diced onion

diced peppers

1 packet or handful oatmeal

1 packet McCormick meatloaf seasoning

1 jar of steak sauce

1 jar of sloppy joe sauce

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix the deer burger and meatloaf seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Add both eggs and continue to mix. Add oatmeal if you need to thicken the mix.

In a large loaf pan or casserole dish place about 40% of the meat in the bottom on spread evenly until about a 1/2 inch thick. This will be the "floor". In the middle of the floor going towards the ends add the sausage pieces, onions & peppers, bacon bits and cheese.Leave about 1 inch of the floor uncovered for now. Take the remaining burger and flatten out to cover the stuffing (it's easier if you make this into 3 or 4 sections). This will form the "roof". Once the roof is in place spread to completely cover the stuffing and kneed it into the floor along the sides and ends.

Bake for 45mins. or 1 hour if you like it well done.

While it is baking make mixture of half & half steak sauce and sloppy joe sauce. Apply to outside of roof after baking but while still hot. Place back into oven allow residual heat to work on the sauce for about 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool.