PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bell and Carson to support the Savage Long Action models.

Pages : [1] 2

CAPTBEACH
10-28-2011, 04:27 PM
If your building a precision rifle based on a Savage Short Action your choices for a quality stock are pretty good. One that many have chosen to utilize is the B&C tactical Medalist A2 available at many places for less than $250. It is an exceptional stock for the $$$
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/bc2091_02.jpg

However, if your looking to build a similar tactical rifle utilizing a Savage Long Action your choices are severely limited...basically you have one built by a one off maker, buy a injection molded Choate or pony up $550+ for a Manners. The Manners and the One offs will take a couple of months to get.

What the purpose of this post is besides letting you know what Savage stock options are available is to get SAVAGE LONG ACTION owners and builders to contact Bell and Carson at:

Bell and Carlson
101 Allen Road Dodge City Industrial Park
Dodge City, KS 67801
Phone(620) 225-6688 Fax (620) 225-9095
E-Mail email@bellandcarlson.com

and let them know that as a SAVAGE LA owner or Builder that you too would be interested in them building a B&C Tactical Medalist A2 for a SAVAGE LONG ACTION.

If enough people do so maybe we can get one...we can make it easy for them...build it on one one color...BLACK

Capt Beach

nuclabuyer
10-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I sent an email. Hopefully more will follow. Thanks for the post

romulus
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Sent. I've got a 264 WM that needs a LA prone stock, and I want to build an 8mm wildcat in LA sometime soon.

nsaqam
10-28-2011, 11:42 PM
McMillan would be happy to supply you with one of their many models available for just about any Savage action made, including long actions.
Yes, the price will be nearly double the B&C and you'll have to wait for it to be made but it will fit perfectly and the quality unsurpassed.

GaCop
11-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I spoke with them at the SHOT Show. They weren't at all eager to produce a long action stock. I don't see where the tooling would be that much different, they already make a short action Savage stock?

rusty815
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
kevin over at stockade stocks produces stocks for long action models.

nuclabuyer
11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I think more then anything, we are looking for something that is in stock. I have LA McMillans and Manners stocks, but you look at a pretty long wait plus they all cost more money then a B&C would. I like that I can get a Medalist and have it in a week. And then money permitting I can order a stockade or a McMillan or a SSS what ever you want and I still not have to deal with the factory stock. Other people like them and never need to spend more on a better stock. But there is not middle of the road tactical style stock for a LA Savage.

pdog06
11-02-2011, 04:38 PM
According to B&C, they check in on this site and many others frequently to get ideas and read about feedback, and a couple years ago was on here chatting about just this exact subject.. When you have an entire Savage community on a website telling them to do it and it doesnt help, I dont know what else will.

They have basically conceded to just make people order a Choate or a custom. Its ashame cause they are blowing off a ton of people.

These stocks are sought after by both the Varmint and Tactical crowd, but they feel they would sell more for a short action. My answer to them was that they would definately sell more long action Tactical Medalists than they would sell the Carbelite style stocks, as I cannot say I have ever seen anyone with one on a Savage gun.

It shouldnt be that hard for them to produce either as they already make stocks for the long action, including one with the aluminum bedding frame(Medalist sporter) like the one the Medalist Tactical uses.

romulus
11-02-2011, 05:03 PM
This is the time they should be most likely to develop a long action stock for us. Everyone and their dog has or wants to build short action or long action guns that will definitely need a large port or magazine for their long high bc bullets to make them effective in the field. I'm going to give them 3 months of bothering before I give up and order a $600 stock.

Medalist a2 long action in black. Easy.

CAPTBEACH
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Thats all I want...Medalist Tactical LA in Black..

The make Tac/Med stocks for Howa, they make stocks for Winchester...I bet there are more potential LA Savage buyers that WInchester and Howa put together...3 months...I'll give em three months then I'll order a Manners or McMillan

nuclabuyer
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Honestly I have given up on them already. And I have also taken the Remington 700 orders to some one that listens to customers, so mcmillan has my orders and will continue to get them untill B&C can show that they listen to customers.

TOO Builder
11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Agreed here. I just found a very nice doner long action rifle. I have a SA Tactical Medalist and even used it as a pattern to have a custom wood stock made for my 20Vartarg with a target action. I would pick one up also for my long action. I could have another wood stock made and inlet for the stagger feed long action I have however the custom stock ends up running over twice what the B&C's cost.

BoilerUP
11-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Hate to be the cold water thrown on this pity party, but no amount of teeth gnashing is going to get them to manufacture a stock they obviously have no interest in.

Folks have emailed them for years (myself included), talked to them at SHOT shows, and they apparently lurk internet message boards...so its not like they haven't seen how many long-action Savages are out there or the aggravation folks have with a lack of selection in mid-priced aftermarket LA stocks.

Its interesting to me that during this "down economy" it seems like everything gun related has BOOMED. It takes weeks if not months to get a barrel or stock, bullets & brass are backordered constantly, gunsmiths with good reputations can't keep up with demand...and people are clamoring for B&C to make a stock that 1. they already make for many less-popular actions and 2. should be of little risk & cost. And yet, they refuse.

If they announced a Savage LA A2 Medalist, I'd order at least one immediately and I imagine an initial buy of 50 here or on SnipersHide would be snapped up in no time...but hey, you can't fix stupid (also occasionally known as institutional momentum).

romulus
11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking of trying to con HS or Savage out of one of the 110 HS precision stocks for their .338 Laps. It would probably still be $400+ rather than the $330ish for the SA one I have on my 10fp hs. Anyone tried that route? If anyone would make the call I'd appreciate it. I hate talking to large corporations. "Which stock? What stock was that again? What model did you already say? Do you have the part number? Without the part number I'm afraid..." :(

psharon97
11-04-2011, 12:59 AM
At least most folks on here can get stocks. The left hand market is pathetic. :'( :'(

GaCop
11-04-2011, 05:59 AM
At least most folks on here can get stocks. The left hand market is pathetic. :'( :'(

Boy, your right there!

CAPTBEACH
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I've been thinking of trying to con HS or Savage out of one of the 110 HS precision stocks for their .338 Laps. It would probably still be $400+ rather than the $330ish for the SA one I have on my 10fp hs. Anyone tried that route? If anyone would make the call I'd appreciate it. I hate talking to large corporations. "Which stock? What stock was that again? What model did you already say? Do you have the part number? Without the part number I'm afraid..." :(

OK...according to Savage Customer Service they will sell that stock in the SA and LA as on the 110FCP HS...on the LA they do say it wont fit a 110 LA...says it specific to the 338 Lapua

Cost is

$441 for the stock
$101 for the 10 Round Mag
$224 for the bottom metal

Might as well buy a Manners inletted for CDI BM

stmichaelalou
11-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I bought a Medalist for my Remington SA and it is very nice for the money. It shot well with the original stock, but the B &C just tightened it up. I have the Duramaxx on a LA Savage. Put a nice new bolt handle on it and SSS trigger. Shoots like dynamite. After I put a varmint barrel and a 6 x 24 IOR on it, the hand swell is a bit unstable on the bags. Just a little top heavy. I prefer not to get a wood stock due to weight, not wait. And the Medalist keeps the center on gravity down.

I am in and sold. When do we order our new Medalist B&C stocks for LA Savages? I can wait until it is spring, but then I may have to pursue other options (B&C should feel pressure of demand and supply). I am waiting.....by the computer......with my credit card.

CAPTBEACH
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I too would place an order today

BoilerUP
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
For those of you interested in a Savage LA stock...

Manners currently has a single T4 for the 110 long action "ready to ship"; it is black, has three studs and inletted for 300WM CDI bottom metal.

$496, and you can have it at your door inside of a week.

Somebody buy this thing so I no longer have the temptation to...