PDA

View Full Version : I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A NEW MODEL 12 IN 6.5X284 BVSS!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jrallo3789
07-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Hello All,
Well I finally heard back from Black Hills about the ammo problem.Here is what they said " We've finally come to a conclusion that it appears to be the brass that we began using last year that is causing the troubles you reported. Apparently the brass is a bit softer than the Norma and the Lapua made brass we've used in the past. This softer brass combined with the pressure curve of the powder we use seems to cause pressure signs and sticking in some weapons. We fired rteturned rounds from you and another person in serveral weapons here at the shop. functioning would be flawless in one and then we'd see hard bolt lift and stickiness in the next. Firing the rounds in a pressure test barrel showed them to be within specs for similar calibers such as the 270Win and 25-06 Remington. Since the 6.5x284 Norma has never been accepted into the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactorers Institute (SAAMI) manual there's no established pressure standards for this round. Ammunition manufactures such as ourselves use similar cartridges as examples to go by."

They sent me a refund check for the ammo and they are sending me Lapua brass for free. Black Hills is a STAND UP COMPANY!!!!
Hope this helps other's in the future.

Jerome
P.S. If anyone has a pet load they'd like to share with me, please let me know.

jrallo3789
08-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Hello, Does anybody have a pet load for this cartridge you'd like to share?

ellobo
08-03-2012, 07:30 PM
There is no excuse for any maker of rifles to let one get out of the factory with a chamber like the one on that rifle. Do not mess with it but call Savage and get a ticket to return it. I would, in a heartbeat. If they do not replace or reream the chamber I would be surprised. There are several reasons why a chamber would look like that, none of which should have happened. It would not surprise me to find the chamber is off center to the bore as well. That alone could jack up pressures and send a bullet down the bore canted to one side as well as distort it.

El Lobo

jrallo3789
08-05-2012, 01:46 AM
There is no excuse for any maker of rifles to let one get out of the factory with a chamber like the one on that rifle. Do not mess with it but call Savage and get a ticket to return it. I would, in a heartbeat. If they do not replace or reream the chamber I would be surprised. There are several reasons why a chamber would look like that, none of which should have happened. It would not surprise me to find the chamber is off center to the bore as well. That alone could jack up pressures and send a bullet down the bore canted to one side as well as distort it.

El Lobo

That chamber you see is not mine. My chamber is fine it was ammo that I was using. Go to my last post and read what Blacks Hills wrote me.
Thanks
Jerry

chiefkerdog
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a 6.5x284 f class rifle I shoot 1k matches with and use 51.5 grns of H4831sc with CCI BR primers and Berger 140 VLD Match bullets. Best group yet at 1k is 4.796 during a match and consistently shoots in the 6 " range.

jrallo3789
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a 6.5x284 f class rifle I shoot 1k matches with and use 51.5 grns of H4831sc with CCI BR primers and Berger 140 VLD Match bullets. Best group yet at 1k is 4.796 during a match and consistently shoots in the 6 " range.

Thank you
jerry