PDA

View Full Version : I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A NEW MODEL 12 IN 6.5X284 BVSS!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Eric in NC
10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
+1 - I would call Black Hills and try to find some different ammo if you aren't a loader. If you are a handloader, buy some brass and start working up some loads.

I played with the 6.5x284 on a Savage (with a Pacnor tube) and found some of the published data to be VERY hot for my gun. Just think there isn't enough experience with the round yet to ensure uniform "sanity" with loads.

Eric in NC
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Sorry - didn't see your post. Yes call Black Hills and yes start out with begining loads with your new brass and work up.

Your fired brass isn't totally trash, but I wouldn't trust it for more than one or two more loads with known "ok" loads.

Just be sure you never oil a round before firing it and be sure to remove oil from your chamber before firing as well!

jrallo3789
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Sorry - didn't see your post. Yes call Black Hills and yes start out with begining loads with your new brass and work up.

Your fired brass isn't totally trash, but I wouldn't trust it for more than one or two more loads with known "ok" loads.

Just be sure you never oil a round before firing it and be sure to remove oil from your chamber before firing as well!

Thanks Yes I know about oil on the cases it was just a test to see what happened it was very very lite on cases. Guess I will try my handloads and see where it goes from here.

sharpshooter
10-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Lapua brass has a gradual heat treat and typically is harder towards the base. It is much more resistant to pressure than Norma. That's one of the reasons that it has a longer case life.

hunter2
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Read somewhere that Black Hills loaded some a little warm but had backed off. Had some 204's when they first came out from Winchester that would drop primers out. Couldn't get them replaced.. Cratered primers might be a sign of high pressure - There are a couple of other things that will also cause that. I would pull a couple rounds and use the brass to reload ( use the same bullet and a chrony ) and see if the problem is still there. apples to apples.....

jinx-)
10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
primers look like Winchester Large Rifle Primers, they a bit soft, using Federal Gold Match or CCI Benchrest probaly would leave less craters, also I would adjust firing pin back by 1/8 turn and get that firing pin hole bushed . From 6mmbr: "When running stout loads, you can get cratering caused by primer flow around the firing pin hole in the bolt face. The reason is a little complicated, but basically the larger the hole, the less hydraulic pressure is required to crater the primer. A limited amount of cratering is normally not a big issue, but you can reduce the problem significantly by having a smith fit a bushing in the firing pin hole. In addition to reduced cratering, bushing the firing pin often produces more consistent ignition. This is a highly recommended procedure that our editors have had done to their own rifles. Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) is an expert at this procedure, and his turnaround time is fast–usually 1-3 days (shop time). Current price for a bushing job, which includes turning the firing pin to .062?, is $60 including return shipping. (Price subject to change.) If you have a factory rifle, a bushed firing pin is the way to go if you are shooting the high-pressure cartridges such as 6PPC, 6BR, 6-6.5×47 and 6.5×47. This is one of the most cost-effective and beneficial upgrades you can do to your factory rifle." http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/07/got-craters-call-greg-tannel

jrallo3789
10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Hello All,
Just want to keep you guy's up to date, I'm going away till Monday (PA) on a short vacation with my wife. When I return I'll make some loads up and go to range that weekend. Thanks for eveybody's help and comments.
Jerry

ellobo
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
From what I see: no flattened primers, then cratering may be excessive firing pin hole. Combine those two and the extractor mark it could be the cartridge is smacking back against the bolt face. Combined with the really gross chatter marks on the shoulders seen in an earlier picture It tells me there is a chamber problem. If you get the same problem with a different brand of ammo, Send it back to Savage with some of the cases with those annular rings on the shoulders of the fired cartridges. I am sure Savage is monitoring these posts.
El Lobo

jinx-)
10-22-2011, 01:26 AM
I doubt his rifle has chamber issue that I experienced, picture with the shoulders was from my rifle, however it might have chatter at the web ,also it could be headspaced wrong, anyway it can go either way or both....

jrallo3789
10-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Hello All Again, I just got back from Pa. and back in New York (UGH) I may not get to range this weekend cause it may rain all weekend but I'll see. I loved PA. nice farmland, would like to live there and shoot many woodchucks ( ground hog's ). I'll keep all posted as to what's happening. Thanks again. Jerry.

jrallo3789
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
k

jrallo3789
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Hello all, Well I went to the range today with my own hand loads and guess what????? NO TROUBLE!!!!! YES NO TROUBLE NO PROBLEM WITH REMOVING FIRED CASES FROM GUN! I made 5 handloads each 10 total. Five fired cases came from gun org. and five brand new Lapua brass. They were loaded with 142gr SMK's and Lapua 123gr. Powder was H-1000. So I guess the Black Hills ammo was TOO HOT? What do you think? Sorry this took so long to get back. SAVAGE WORKED PERFECT!!! Thanks Jerry

jrallo3789
03-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Hello, Last update, I called Black Hill's and they are having a call taged sent to pick up the ammo. I didn't fire 5 remaining rounds so they can test it. I sent all fired cases for them to look at. They were very helpful on the phone, a stand up company!!! I will let all know when they tell me the results. Jerry

Dennis
03-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Reply 13, first picture on the post, 8 cases shown.

Bottom row, third case to the right, look at the ejector mark! Very clear on the number 4 stamping on the brass! Cases shown above this one shows the protrusion "shaved"! The ejector mark shows up clearly on a few other cases as well in this picture, and pictures above!

IMO only a hot load will cause this! I have loaded up a few that were hot that looked the same way!

But it sounds like you have the problem under control.

Dennis

PS: Let us know what Black Hills determines.

jrallo3789
03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Hello Dennis, I will let you know what Black Hill's answer is. Hope they come for it in the next few days. Thanks Jerry.

jrallo3789
03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Still waiting for that call tag to show up here! >:(

jrallo3789
03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
OK, Call tag showed up today (March 29th) will go out March 30th back to Black Hills. STAY TUNED.

jrallo3789
04-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Update, spoke to Carl at Black Hills, they received the ammo and was sending it to an independent lab for testing. He said it may take two more weeks. I'll let everyone know what they said.
Jerry

jrallo3789
05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Update. update. Spoke to Karl at Black Hills the other day ask him about ammo ( did they sent it out?),No but they fired some ammo in there text fixture or firearm and told me they had no trouble with it, But they haven't sent the remaining ammo out to the independent lab yet. I'd figure if someone returned ammo that's maybe too hot they would shake there butt alittle. Am I wrong?

ellobo
05-31-2012, 06:55 PM
[quote=jrallo3789 ]
Update. update. Spoke to Karl at Black Hills the other day ask him about ammo ( did they sent it out?),No but they fired some ammo in there text fixture or firearm and told me they had no trouble with it, But they haven't sent the remaining ammo out to the independent lab yet. I'd figure if someone returned ammo that's maybe too hot they would shake there butt alittle. Am I wrong?

Hell no you arn't wrong. Keep on thier butts about this.

El Lobo