PDA

View Full Version : Edge cocking problem

Pages : [1] 2

spudwrench
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
My first time posting but I am a great Savage fan and have perused the boards over the last few months. My problem is I bought a new Edge .223 last month and was just amazed at it's accuracy but a few days ago I was firing some practice rounds and the cocking button came " uncocked " as I was ejecting an empty shell. This entailed taking the bolt out and manually cocking the firing pin before the bolt would seat again. I thought this was a fluke so I tried a few more rounds and it did it again. If I very carefully raise the bolt handle as far as it will go and pull straight back it works fine but if I'm trying to crank a fast second round in it goes out of sync. Anybody else have this problem ? I've sent the rifle off to Savage but my gun store guy said the last he sent in took two months. Great and coyote hunting is just getting good. I've read the trigger spring solution and was getting ready to try that but I haven't read anything about the bolt being a problem. Other wise the rifle is great. Thanks for reading and the site is great

Dennis
10-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Welcome ;D

When you state cocking, are you stating the black pin won't stay in the firing position? There is not much to the bolt assembly, may a picture would allow us to help you a little better!

I have had safety problems, but not exactly the problem you are having. At this point, check your safety operation and maybe post a picture, or just email me a picture and we will see if we can get you going.

D

spudwrench
10-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Darn Dennis the gun is already at the store. You're right the black button on the side which is supposed to seat at the bottom of the cut out in the bolt apparently doesn't quite go down far enough. Like I said if you're careful it works but you know if your adrenaline is pumping on that second shot it's hard to remain calm and your mind isn't on that bolt. Plus with a scope and my big stubby fingers it's hard to crank the bolt up hard to seat the button. I could probably get the rifle back before he sends it off if you think I could maybe solve this myself. I guess I could send it off later if I couldn't fix it huh?

keeki
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
sounds like the big allen bolt that goes in the rear of the bolt is loose.

spudwrench
10-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Okay, you guys have me all excited now. I'm gonna go today and get the gun back then I'll post pictures and maybe you can walk me through it. I know , shoulda come here first huh. Many many thanks and I'll be back

Dennis
10-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Spud, again it's a simple assembly. I am sure we could walk you through the problem unless something is broke!

2 pictures are worth a thousand words!

spudwrench
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I wish there was an emocon that showed an old man kicking himself. On the other hand here in E. Tn. the leaves are starting to change color and the gun store is on top of the mountain so the drive is beautiful and IT'S A GUN STORE !!!! What better way to spend a Saturday. Thanks again back with pictures soon Spud

keeki
10-08-2011, 10:42 AM
we may or may not have the answer, but if you post a pic I could almost guaranty someone will tell you whats wrong.

spudwrench
10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Okay, my friend at the gunstore took the bolt home with him and is going to give it the once over. He's good at that sort of thing so maybe he can square me away. If not I'll sure let you guys have a look, even if he does fix it I'll show and tell so maybe we can prevent this for someone else. Thanks again, sure is a nice reception for a noobie Spud

sharpshooter
10-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Here is your problem: The firing pin spring has a sharp edge on the tail end that contacts the inside of the bolt assembly screw. When the bolt is cocked, the sharp edge of the spring drags on the bolt assembly screw while rotating, essentially unwinding the spring resulting is a de-cock.
Here is your solution: polish off the sharp edge on the spring and apply some grease between that and the bas.

Dennis
10-08-2011, 09:50 PM
sharpshooter, I had mine apart today cleaning. Mine has a spacer/bushing on the end of the springs which rest on the bolt screw! Is this a new/old design?

Frank44
10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I had the same problem with mine in .223 that I use in HE Classes. I called Savage, and ask if it was something that I could fix myself. They told me to send the gun in. I had a new on back in 2 weeks. Now it is doing it. I made a jig to easley re-cock it in the field. How hard is it to disassemble, and reassemble the bolt? Let us know if the polishing the guts works. Thanks.
Frank

spudwrench
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I had the same problem with mine in .223 that I use in HE Classes. I called Savage, and ask if it was something that I could fix myself. They told me to send the gun in. I had a new on back in 2 weeks. Now it is doing it. I made a jig to easley re-cock it in the field. How hard is it to disassemble, and reassemble the bolt? Let us know if the polishing the guts works. Thanks.
Frank

You got it big guy, can't hardly wait to get the gun back now. Glad to hear mine is not the only one.

spudwrench
10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
It's fixed ;D ;D ;D. My lgs guy measured the valley or the place where the cocking button sits in the cocked position and it was about 25 thousands shy. A little grinding and buffing and it's good to go. At least I can't make it screw up , I just got home and now am off to the Coyote Unlimited meeting so I'll do some live fire testing tomorrow. Sharpshooter : I may still polish that spring up to avoid potential problems , can't go wrong with cleanliness and polish can you. Thanks again guys , Spudwrench

Dennis
10-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Spud, good info here. Glad everything worked out!

spudwrench
10-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Well sharpshooter you get to say " I told you so " . I rocked along for 20 or so rounds and it went to poop again. As I was unscrewing the assembly nut the spring was resisting so I knew were right. It just took that many rounds for the spring to dig in. It seems the recoil helps the dragging action as I dry fired and cocked several times and everything was fine. I don't think what my guy did hurt the gun but you fixed it. I didn't doubt you I was just in a big way to get the scope lined back up. Thanks again after the spring fix and the trigger job it has really smoothed out and shoots great. Much better than I can actually. Spudwrench

Dennis
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
One one of my guns, the bolt stop/sear was binding on the trigger bracket causing the firing pin to punch holes through my primers. I thought I had a problem with the bolt assembly. After taking it apart three times, I started looking at the trigger. I finally noticed the sear sticking/binding. I was able to bend it about an 1/16th and after reassembly it moved with NO resistance! Long story short, never had a problem again, at least up to now!

Frank44
10-14-2011, 12:25 AM
I did sharpshooter's fix. It malfunctioned on the second shot then went 30 rounds + plus another 50 dry firing without a hitch. If it acts up again iI will do The spudwrench thing. I was thinking about that before but did not want to void the warranty. Sending the gun back again is a waste of time. As I see it these are the only two things that can cause the problem. Thanks for all your help.
Frank

Timo722
10-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I did >sharpshooters> fix a few months ago.. smooth spring end and add grease. Been a-ok since, was out yesterday and shot twelve rounds. Hunky dory. :D

sharpshooter
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Evidently the techs at Savage has recognized this problem and have added a fix on the latest guns. They no longer use the one piece spring. The new set-up uses 3 seperate pieces. The front spring, which acts as a retainer for the cocking piece pin, then a "ring washer"between that and the outer spring. This makes the "ring washer" essentially a bearing for the other 2 springs to rotate against without binding and unwinding.