PDA

View Full Version : 270win powder?

Pages : [1] 2

Kaianuanu
10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I have an axis in 270 and am going to try reloading w/ a lee loader classic, as i am only doing small quantities and speed/efficiency is negligable. I am about to order the loader, a powder scale, and a hundred 130gr Sierra Game Kings. I am going to try get a pound of powder and primers locally. I was wondering what (inexpensive) powder i should get to achieve a SAFE maximum velocity?

keeki
10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
hodgdon, Imr, and alliant are all about the same price. With a 22" barrel and 130gr pills RL-17 or 4350 is gonna be hard to beat in maximum vel.

dnsmith
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
There are a lot of powders that will work well with 130 g bullets in the .270. Personally, I have stopped tinkering with .270 handloads. I use 60 grains of H4831sc with a 130 g softpoint (sierra, hornady, etc., all seem to work well). This load does a good job of filling the case up with powder, so velocities are very consistent. I have shot tighter groups here and there with other powders, but for consistency (i.e. 10 shot groups with no flyers) I can't find anything that works better than this load out of my .270's. very good velocities, too.

xhogboss
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
H4831 gets my vote. 53 to 54 grains behind a 130 grain bullet gets the job done every time, is accurate and shows no signs of excessive pressure. I started loading about 35 years ago and a coworker at the time gave me several pounds of government surplus H4831 that someone had given him years before. I'm still using it with good results.

keeki
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
4831 does work well as does rl-22. the 270 is very easy to load for and can use a variety of powders. Matter of fact I have personal loads in all the powder mentioned and Imr4831sc works as well as any of them. But RL-17 is gonna give you the best velocity and probably be the least affected by temp changes. IMHO

Kaianuanu
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Is RL-17 or 4350 a common powder? It will have to be because i am trying to get it locally rather than online.

keeki
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Very common. Imr4350, and H4350 has been around since the wheel was invented and is one of the most common powders in existence. RL-17 is made by Alliant and its fairly new, probably 4yrs or so. You should be able to pick these up just about anywhere they sell powder.
Imr4831 and H4831 is about as common as 4350

Kaianuanu
10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Also, are there ans ABSOLUTELY necessary aspect of case prep? I plan on deburring but do i HAVE to do anything else? (i may polish w/ steel wool if necessary)

keeki
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
size it, trim it, deburr it and load it. A shiny piece of brass shoots no better than a tarnished one, but its easier to see if the case is damaged when its nice and shiny.

kb7kuh
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm shooting H4350 with 51.0grs and a 130gr Sierra BT 1/2 groups at 100 yards.

Rifle is a Remington 270 700 Custom Shop.

Hatari
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
There are a lot of powders that will work well with 130 g bullets in the .270. Personally, I have stopped tinkering with .270 handloads. I use 60 grains of H4831sc with a 130 g softpoint (sierra, hornady, etc., all seem to work well). This load does a good job of filling the case up with powder, so velocities are very consistent. I have shot tighter groups here and there with other powders, but for consistency (i.e. 10 shot groups with no flyers) I can't find anything that works better than this load out of my .270's. very good velocities, too.

Big + one

Eric in NC
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Also, are there ans ABSOLUTELY necessary aspect of case prep? I plan on deburring but do i HAVE to do anything else? (i may polish w/ steel wool if necessary)

Triming and sizing are the only essentials - Lee makes a cheap and easy to use trimmer.

Kaianuanu
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Just got a great deal at gander, i got the same 100 pack of sierra gameking 130gr SPZBT for 50% of of $30, so $15 ($25 at midway). 100 pack of CCI #200 primers for $4,(not really a deal but i would have to spend $30 for the minimum order of 500 at midway). And, a pound of Hodgdon H4350 for $30 (not bad considering i would pay $20 for the powder + $10 shipping + $25 HAZMAT fee @ midway). I paid a total of $52 w/ tax, so under 52c per round as opposed to the cheapest federal ammo (which sucks), at $1 per round, I know its not that great as compared to some of you bulk reloaders though, but its awesome for me as a humble 'lee loader'! Now I just need the 270 lee loader kit and a powder scale.

SMK Shoe
10-07-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm gonna try to help you out. ;D You are in the first stage of a awful addiction. You may not realize it now or you may think you "can stop when ever I want" But you can't without help. First thing you need to do is bookmark every reloading website that sells components and reloading tools. Build a wish list that include " Need, want, would like, can't live without, need more than air, will sell off family member's to get." Once you hit the second stage you will be getting your friends ( non-reloader's) to buy lunch so you can finance more components ( your reloading friends have already been thru this stage so they won't be taken). Third stage you will have a cardboard sign in the back seat of your car ( on top of reloading books) that read's " will work for gunpowder". Be careful during this stage. Your reloading friends will have you mowing their yard for 1/2 pound cans of powder. Forth stage you will not be able to remember your families names, birthdays, ages but will know every customer service person at midway, powder valley and sinclairs along with business hours, phone numbers, and If i order before this time, it will get here by the weekend shipping. Fifth stage you will call home from work and have your wife go to the shed and change out brass in the tumbler for another load ( really bad idea :) ) I would tell you about the sixth stage but all of us old reloaders have taken a pact to not talk about what we will do for components ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously tho, it is a great hobby and very rewarding but it is addictive. Be safe and ask all the questions you can. Any reloader on the forum will give you alot of advice to help you along to become ( One of Us, One of Us ) ;D ;D ;D ;D

GaCop
10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm gonna try to help you out. ;D You are in the first stage of a awful addiction. You may not realize it now or you may think you "can stop when ever I want" But you can't without help. First thing you need to do is bookmark every reloading website that sells components and reloading tools. Build a wish list that include " Need, want, would like, can't live without, need more than air, will sell off family member's to get." Once you hit the second stage you will be getting your friends ( non-reloader's) to buy lunch so you can finance more components ( your reloading friends have already been thru this stage so they won't be taken). Third stage you will have a cardboard sign in the back seat of your car ( on top of reloading books) that read's " will work for gunpowder". Be careful during this stage. Your reloading friends will have you mowing their yard for 1/2 pound cans of powder. Forth stage you will not be able to remember your families names, birthdays, ages but will know every customer service person at midway, powder valley and sinclairs along with business hours, phone numbers, and If i order before this time, it will get here by the weekend shipping. Fifth stage you will call home from work and have your wife go to the shed and change out brass in the tumbler for another load ( really bad idea :) ) I would tell you about the sixth stage but all of us old reloaders have taken a pact to not talk about what we will do for components ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously tho, it is a great hobby and very rewarding but it is addictive. Be safe and ask all the questions you can. Any reloader on the forum will give you alot of advice to help you along to become ( One of Us, One of Us ) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well said!

Kaianuanu
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I'll be getting the lee loader and the powder scale in ca couple days but how much H4350 should i put behind those 130ggr Sierra GameKing Spitzer BT's, (I only have 66 empty cases, which i already pre-prepped)?

Kaianuanu
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I also accidentally got parge pistol primers, should i exchange them for CCI #200's or CCI #250 magnums?

bythebook
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
YES get large rifle primers!!! as for a load you should already have a loading manual or two, start low and work up. If you don't have a manual get a couple and read them over and over. I have been loading since 1965 and I still follow them.

Kaianuanu
10-07-2011, 02:55 PM
The large rifle magnums or regular?

bythebook
10-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I have always used CCI-200 reg. and have never had trouble.