PDA

View Full Version : Leopold Complaint

Pages : [1] 2

J.Baker
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
<Rant On>

I've mentioned it before and it will probably come up again in the future, but why is it you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a $20 Trashco scope and get lens caps, but spend a lot more for a Leupold and you don't get anything? No caps, no neoprene scope sock, nada!

Last I checked keeping the lenses clean and free of dust to prevent scratches was still pretty important in terms of caring for and maintaining the quality of your optics. And considering most of us probably store our rifles standing upright, the absence of a lens cap on the objective means it will be covered in dust ever time you want to go shoot.

<Rant Off>

Nor Cal Mikie
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
No lens caps is better than having the cross hairs fall out after it was sent back for repair on two (That's 2) different occasions. You can guess that I don't care too much for the quality of the Leupold scopes.
They blamed it recoil? ::) It was mounted on a Ruger 10/22! Pure BS!
I don't plan on buying another Leupold for a long time. ;)

keeki
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Dont tell leupold that you had it mounted on a rimfire because then they will tell you that it isnt a rimfire scope. They said rimfires have a different harmonics and that is what caused it. I wanted to hit him upside the head with it to see if that had a different harmonic.

dcloco
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Actually, that particular rimfire whacks the scope twice on every round....and it is different harmonics.

Same with airguns....completely different thump/whump.

BUT...a Leupy should hold up to a rimfire...even a semi auto.

keeki
10-04-2011, 04:50 PM
oh I know it recoils twice on every shot and has different harmonics but I hardly doubt that is what causes it. Then again maybe it does, so just buy something other than leupold, thats what worked for me.

Mudcat
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I have had the same experience with 2 Leopold products. I just don't buy them any more, there are other companies out there who will take my money and treat me well if I have a problem.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
If it was mounted on my M1A, well maybe. But on a rimfire? So that means the rimfire scopes are better than all the rest? ::)
Good thing they didn't tell me at the time it wasn't meant to be mounted on a rimfire.
They would still have it! ;)

JCalhoun
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Burris will tell you the same thing about rimfires.

Not sure why Leupold doesn't issue lense covers. My Nikon Monarch came with them but the Weavers didn't.

J.Baker
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, the Weaver's used to come with screw-on caps, but of course that was before I bought mine a few years ago.

As for rimfires, if you really want to know how tough a given scope is mount it on a semi-auto and run about 200-300 rounds through it and see if it still holds zero. Many won't no matter what they cost. Also the reason I really don't have much interest in them...well, other than maybe a S&W M&P15/22 for a fun gun.

keeki
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
what would the difference be in a semi auto rimfire and a semi auto centerfire? Do auto centerfire break scopes also?

thomae
10-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Somewhat off thread, but if you replace the rear bolt stop on a 10/22 rifle with a piece of 1/4" brake hose from an automotive supply store, it will stop the bolt much more gently without the metal-on-metal banging that you get with the stock bolt stop. It fits right in the hole and you trim to fit. Works like a champ and is significantly less expensive than commercially purchased bolt stop/buffers.

The bolt banging back against the metal stop and then banging against metal as it moves forward under spring pressure and goes into battery is what is supposedly hard on scopes.

You can also replace the stock recoil spring with a magnum one and it will cut down on the banging and still cycle with most (perhaps not all) .22LR ammunition.

sharpshooter
10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
If you want scope covers for your Leupold you have to spend another $75.00 and get the Alumina covers. They work just like the Butler Creek, but they are made from aluminum and actually screw in place. They use strong rare earth magnets to keep the cap shut instead of a latch.

efm77
10-05-2011, 09:39 AM
"what would the difference be in a semi auto rimfire and a semi auto centerfire? Do auto centerfire break scopes also?"

Exactly what I was thinking. How many people out there shoot Remington 7400's and their variants and BAR's with scopes on them. I've not heard of too many of them having problems with scopes failing. ???

efm77
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Also did they not want to cover it under their warranty? What happened to "shockproof"? I mean I know you can get a bad apple in any brand but that's why they have the warranty and then to blame it on it being on a rimfire? Strange.

thomae
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
"what would the difference be in a semi auto rimfire and a semi auto centerfire? Do auto centerfire break scopes also?"

Exactly what I was thinking. How many people out there shoot Remington 7400's and their variants and BAR's with scopes on them. I've not heard of too many of them having problems with scopes failing. ???

Good question about centerfire self loaders. Some may have springs and buffers that are not supposed to bottom out, but certainly not all of them are set up that way.

None of my semi auto centerfires have scopes on them, so I can't actually answer the question.

I have not had any problems with any scopes mounted on my 10.22, but I have the bolt stop mod installed as well as a fast twist barrel, so I only (well, usually) shoot 60g sniper subsonics. I also don't take it out that often.

Bottom line: I would hope that scope manufacturers would specify any limitations on their scopes (don't use with air rifles, etc...) and honor their warranties. As a purchaser, I need to read the guarantee so I know what to expect. If it is a one year warrantee, I don't expect free service 5 years later. But a lifetime warrantee should be just that. The gold standard in this department has always seemed to me to be Dillon Precision and their "No BS" warrantee. I am sure there are others.

efm77
10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
A little off topic but still has to do with scope failure...........I read an article this morning in Rifle Magazine on the 110BA 338 Lapua. He had two high dollar scopes fail on the rifle in a short amount of time (didn't name the brands). He blamed it on the muzzle brake. I would think the brake would reduce recoil enough to where it wouldn't be hard on scopes. Unless it has something to do with the concussion from the blast coming out to the side and back hitting the scope hard enough to jar it loose. Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?

davemuzz
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, FWIW.....here's my opinion on this subject.

I'm a fan of Leupold's because they are built here on U.S. dirt. Yes, they import their glass, but they have been doing that for decades. Yes, the new Redfields are imports.....but I'm not discussing Redfields....I'm talking about Leupolds. The tube machining and the assembly is done HERE!!

Now, just to get a bit off base and use AN EXAMPLE (and I'm not gonna touch the lock issue....that was a contract between S&W Inc. and our damn Government when S&W was owned by a foreign investment group...sad but true) I buy Smith's because I like 'em and they fit my hand and I like 'em! (Did I say that? ;D) I've had to send 3 of 'em back to Smith because of stuff that should have never got out of the factory. One was a performance center model. But, Smith fixed 'em with no issues and I'm as happy as a clam!!

I've never had a problem with any of my Leupolds. But if I did I'd send 'em back and expect them to get fixed. However, it is true that scopes are made for airguns. If your gonna put one on an airgun that's not made for it....and it breaks....then send it back with a note that it broke. That's all you say. IT BROKE!! This isn't the TV show "The VIEW" where you have to disclose when you take a leak!!! It just broke!!!

As for the scope flip covers.....I had bought those Butler Creek ones and they lasted all of two weeks before they busted like a cheap china doll. I've since bot the Leupold's and haven't looked back. You get what you pay for. If you want the good quality covers when you buy the Leupold scope....THEN BUY 'EM WHEN YOU BUY THE SCOPE!!! There are no free lunches!!!

BTW....this summer I sent my VX-1 to the custom shot to have target turrets installed for $120. Then I also had them "cut" me a custom turret for my 6.5 Swede for a 129 Hornady bullet. I gave them the velocity, BC, sea level info. What I got back was a scope that all I need to do is range find the target....turn the turret to the yardage, put the crosshairs on the target, and if I do my part.......BANG......DEAD.

It's a great American Company.

That's just what I think.

Dave

efm77
10-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I agree with most of what you said davemuzz and that's why I buy American as much as I can too. However, you're the first I've heard say the Redfields are imports. Leupold claims they're made in Oregon too. The riflescopes that is, the rest of the Redfield line is imported but they say the riflescope is made here.

darkker
10-09-2011, 10:19 PM
The answer is: Because if they GAVE you the covers, your wouldn't spend another $20 to buy them.
ECON 101

efm77
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I think most of them come with a neoprene cover now which would work just as good for keeping dust off of the lenses while in storage.