PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with Accu Trigger

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

leftoversalmon
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
So I bought a Savage 10PC and I love the rifle except the Accu Trigger is junk. I primarily use the rifle for Prairie Dog hunting and I have encountered a problem with the trigger. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. The sear constantly trips when I put the bolt down. Forcing me to adjust to a heavier the trigger pull.

I can set the trigger to a pull weight that im happy with and the rifle will function, but the set screw will move out of adjustment over time to a point where it doesn't function. For example: This weekend I set it to a functional level and then over the course of the day the trigger pull slowly gets lighter and lighter. It gets to the point where just pushing in the AccuRealse will cause enough friction on the trigger to trip the sear and then after a few more resets the sear wont catch at all. This forces me to take the rifle apart and reset it.

Secondary problem after resetting it to a lower trigger weight I have to lower the bolt slowly in order for it to work. If I do it to hard the sear will trip. I know set the trigger weight higher, I have also set the trigger a harder trigger pull and it still fails also I bought a rifle that was ment to be set as low as 2.5lbs and I want a gun that properly functions 100% of the time at the levels they advertised.

My question: Is there anything that can be done to the Accu Trigger to make it function how it should (not trip the sear when putting the bolt down hard, and not move out of adjustment) and be adjustable to a 2-3 pound range. Is there something I can do or Gunsmith? Or are there replacement variants that have the "double stage feel of the Accu Trigger" while correcting the problem and have the same function of the Accu Trigger?

Basically I want an Accu Trigger that functions how it should and can be set to the trigger pull weights that were advertised, not have the sear trip when I put the bolt down hard, and not have the weight move out of adjustment.

keeki
10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
its set too light.

earl39
10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I can set the trigger to a pull weight that im happy with and the rifle will function, but set screw will move out of adjustment over time to a point where it doesn't function. Forcing me to take the rifle apart and reset it. After resetting it I have to lower the bolt slowly in order for it to work. If I do it to hard the sear will trip. Overall im just not happy with the trigger and something needs to be done.

when you get it where you want it just put a drop of clear nail polish on the set screw and that will hold it in place. That said it sounds like you are trying to set the trigger lighter than it was designed to be set. There are 3 different triggers. The regular accutrigger, the varmint accutrigger and the target accutrigger. That is listed from heaviest pull to lightest pull adjustment.

leftoversalmon
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I can set the trigger to a pull weight that im happy with and the rifle will function, but set screw will move out of adjustment over time to a point where it doesn't function. Forcing me to take the rifle apart and reset it. After resetting it I have to lower the bolt slowly in order for it to work. If I do it to hard the sear will trip. Overall im just not happy with the trigger and something needs to be done.

when you get it where you want it just put a drop of clear nail polish on the set screw and that will hold it in place. That said it sounds like you are trying to set the trigger lighter than it was designed to be set. There are 3 different triggers. The regular accutrigger, the varmint accutrigger and the target accutrigger. That is listed from heaviest pull to lightest pull adjustment.

Ive moved the trigger weight as high as it goes and it still trips the sear on occasion. Either something isn't right or the mechanism was a failure of a design. I have the Model 10 Precision Carbine.http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1350&cid=3 Im not sure but I beleive it has the target AccuTrigger.

ellobo
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Sounds like a call to Savage and explain the problem. Stress that it still happens when you set the trigger to a higher pull wgt. Thery may send you a replacement. Make sure you get the proper trigger of the three offered. This is the first problem of this type I have seen on this forum, so your problem seems to be unique, not one endemic to the trigger design.

El Lobo

leftoversalmon
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a call to Savage and explain the problem. Stress that it still happens when you set the trigger to a higher pull wgt. Thery may send you a replacement. Make sure you get the proper trigger of the three offered. This is the first problem of this type I have seen on this forum, so your problem seems to be unique, not one endemic to the trigger design.

El Lobo

I'm allready going to call about the extractor not working. I guess I can bring this up too. It just pisses me off. I'm pretty sure I have the target trigger. Its advertised and meant to be as low as 1.5lb. I want a rifle that functions flawlessly at that level. If you cannot provide such a thing than don't sell, market, or manufacture it.

My dad called them about one if his rifles and they told him it was a saftey measure and that the trigger would have to be set to a higher weight. Ive also read about a number of different people having problems with the sear not catching the trigger on hard bolt resets and I imagine that hard bolt resets at 1.5 lbs will never be resolved with their current design. They claim its a safety measure but that's bullshit. Because its not. They say that its a safety measure because they have designed a shitty trigger for that light of trigger weight. The hard bolt resets are causing the sear not to grab the trigger. Thus it hits the AccuRealse. If they build a trigger that could actually reset 100% of the time with a light weight they wouldn't have to claim it as a "Safety Measure" and wouldn't necessarily need the AccuRelease. (the AccuRelease should only be there for the off chance that the trigger gets touched unintentionaly. Not to cover up the fact that the trigger and sear mechanism is faulty). I have a geissele on my AR15 and it resets everytime at a lower weight and im willing to bet that there is a lot more jarring going on in that rifle than a hard bolt reset. The replacement options available for a the savage are a 1 stage trigger and it looks like the AccuRealse is gone. Take the Jard trigger for example. They give you a new trigger and sear and state that it corrects the problem with the trigger. I'll bet the sear doesn't slip on any of the aftermarket triggers, because if it did the rifle would fire everytime on a hard bolt reset. Basically the AccuRelease was put there to cover their @$$ because they built a firing mechanism that is faulty and the sear doesn't allways catch the trigger.

Sorry rant over. Don't get me wrong I love the rifle and it shoots great. I didn't come in here to make anyone mad or flame Savage. It just makes my blood boil that the sear doesn't catch the trigger on 1.5 lbs when they advertise that the trigger can be set to 1.5 lbs. If they advertise it it should function 100% of the time and if it doesn't than something is broken. They are using the AccuRelease as a crutch. Not as it should be, an added saftey measure.

Read this post for an example of savage claiming its a safety measure. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/bolt-action-gallery/70632-savage-10pc-precision-carbine-w-pics.html

jinx-)
10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
get a zip-tie and tie that middle blade, then adjust trigger pull to whatever you like, just be careful when you pointing that thing when your safety is off...

dcloco
10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Jard trigger will be your new friend.

leftoversalmon
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM

I bought the rifle because I like the AccuRelease, as it mimics a 2-stage trigger, and is a great added saftey measure. But I cannot stand the sear and trigger not catching 100% of the time. I may have to get a Jard if I cannot find a fix for the AccuTrigger, or if Savage cannot correct the problem.

leftoversalmon
10-03-2011, 07:45 PM
get a zip-tie and tie that middle blade, then adjust trigger pull to whatever you like, just be careful when you pointing that thing when your safety is off...

Can you expand on this please? I'm not following

sniper15545
10-03-2011, 07:48 PM
All my accutriggers are set very light You just have to close the bolt a little easier than usual.

5spd
10-03-2011, 07:54 PM
All my accutriggers are set at 1.5lbs and I have never had a problem with any of them, I like them myself.

J.Baker
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
All Law Enforcement models (including the 10PC) come with the varmint AccuTrigger. 1.5-lbs is as low as it's designed to go, and that's a ball-park figure due to production tolerances.

jinx-)
10-03-2011, 10:01 PM
setting middle blade to a fixed position should eliminate sudden sears release like what you get when you pulling on the middle blade, this way you'll be pulling directly on the trigger with middle blade already engaged by zip-tie, anyway I changed mine to rifle-basix trigger 14 - 48 oz http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181 they also got target trigger http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&selectOpts=1&products_id=182 with 4 - 48 oz pull

dcloco
10-03-2011, 11:30 PM

I bought the rifle because I like the AccuRelease, as it mimics a 2-stage trigger, and is a great added saftey measure. But I cannot stand the sear and trigger not catching 100% of the time. I may have to get a Jard if I cannot find a fix for the AccuTrigger, or if Savage cannot correct the problem.

Jard triggers come with a new sear/bolt release.

J.Baker
10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
setting middle blade to a fixed position should eliminate sudden sears release like what you get when you pulling on the middle blade, this way you'll be pulling directly on the trigger with middle blade already engaged by zip-tie.

HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!

If you're already having issues with the sear tripping, bypassing the safety mechanism IS NOT the answer. This has to be by far one of the most irresponsible and ill-conceived ideals I've seen on here (and trust me, I've seen a lot of them over the last 9 years).

jinx-)
10-04-2011, 12:25 AM
this "fix" was recommended by my gunsmith for my target action accutriger which wouldn't work on its low setting as it should, this fix was only suggested for benchrest setup when your rifle firmly seats on the bench with its muzzle pointing toward target.

leftoversalmon
10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
setting middle blade to a fixed position should eliminate sudden sears release like what you get when you pulling on the middle blade, this way you'll be pulling directly on the trigger with middle blade already engaged by zip-tie.

HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!

If you're already having issues with the sear tripping, bypassing the safety mechanism IS NOT the answer. This has to be by far one of the most irresponsible and ill-conceived ideals I've seen on here (and trust me, I've seen a lot of them over the last 9 years).

Wasn't planning on doing it. As that "middle blade" or Accu Release is whats stopping the gun from fireing when the mechanism isn't working.

darkker
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
This has been a long-standing complaint of mine about the crack-U-trigger.
Their QC is HORRIBLE, and they are made of JUNK pot-metal.

This problem arose for me on a couple of different rifles, for the same few reasons...

#1) The metal is VERY soft(at least some of them), and wear quickly. Then your angles get dis-combob-u-lated, and things get creepy, and the sear drops with the bolt handle. Can be due to someone "polishing" off the surface, or a lot of use.
#2) The surfaces were cast improperly. I had one rifle that did it brand new, out-the-box.

You can due a few things. As has been suggested, throw it in the ocean; either get NOS, or aftermarket.
Or chase Savage for free replacement parts.

leftoversalmon
10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
This has been a long-standing complaint of mine about the crack-U-trigger.
Their QC is HORRIBLE, and they are made of JUNK pot-metal.

This problem arose for me on a couple of different rifles, for the same few reasons...

#1) The metal is VERY soft(at least some of them), and wear quickly. Then your angles get dis-combob-u-lated, and things get creepy, and the sear drops with the bolt handle. Can be due to someone "polishing" off the surface, or a lot of use.
#2) The surfaces were cast improperly. I had one rifle that did it brand new, out-the-box.

You can due a few things. As has been suggested, throw it in the ocean; either get NOS, or aftermarket.
Or chase Savage for free replacement parts.

Yea, when it first happened I took the rifle apart and looked at where the sear and trigger match up. Some oil/cleaning solevents had collected in that area and it was full of tiny silver metal shavings. The oil/solevents had combined with the metal shavings to create a silver goop. The goop basically looked like the picture below. I was impressed.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/160/955/368/368955160_015.jpg