PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with Accu Trigger

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

leftoversalmon
10-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Leftoversalmon,

After reading all the replys and the pros and cons about your problem I come to a couple of conclusions. I think the members here may have hundreds or thousands of Accu Trigger rifles that work as intended by design. I think there are a small percentage of Accu Trigger rifles that do not function as intended by design wether it is a flaw in manufacturing such as in your situation or in other cases inproper adjustment which makes the trigger go into "saftey/no fire mode" as it is designed to do.
You paid good money for what should be a very accurate rifle in good faith based on advertised statements and others results. You need to call the Savage Customer Service and explain in simple terms that the Accu Trigger can not be adjusted to the heaviest setting and function properly and that at lighter settings doesn't work at all. They will create a case report number. You should demand that they replace the trigger group and test it for proper function at both extremes of it's intended settings and give you a report as to the low and high limits they are getting with the replacement trigger.
I would be willing to bet that they wish to remedy your problem to maintain their customer service reputation as well as the reputation for producing fine firearms and standing behind them. It is just good buisness practice.
Make the time and call them. Get names and keep a record of date of purchase and conversations etc. They like all manufacturers can produce a bad one every once in a while although that percentage is very low. It's sad that you had to be one of the extremely few that had a bad first experience.
I don't want to make you feel worse but I purchased my first center fire rifle in 2008 based on member reviews and some research online. It is a Savage Varminter (VLP) single shot .223 with Accu Trigger set as low as I can get it without tripping the sear lock up and it has worked flawlessly in bench rest shooting from day one. The rifle is more accurate than I am as a shooter, and I have shot one hole, no clover leaf five round groups at 50 yards with my 1955 Winchester model 75T with very good ammunition so I do have some skills just haven't reached the levels yet that the VLP offers

Best wishes and get that thing fixed as you'll love it...

Pete K.

I will be calling Savage once I get the chance. I'm going to ask that the trigger be replaced w/ their top model. I will also ask about the ejection issue. I will post about the end result.

I understand that companies produce flawed products from time to time. But it also seems like they are using the AccuRelease as a sort of crutch. Because without it they would have to either increase QC or increase minimun trigger weight to prevent missfires in cases like mine. Like I said my father has the same problem as me, not as extreme but he can't reach the advertised pull weight without lock ups either. He called them and all they said is that the trigger pull would need to be increased. To me thats not an acceptable answer and I figured I would recieve the same treatment. Thats why I came here. I wanted to see if others had the same problem and what they did about it.

It does seem that many of the people on this board have an Accu Triggers on their rifles and they like them. Maybe something is wrong with my trigger group. I came to the conclusion that the design is faulty before coming to this board. Because before coming here I saw 2 triggers with the same problem. But mabye the design isn't faulty and just the result of poor of QC. But no mass production is perfect in this aspect. Whats more important is that they correct it.

Like I said I will call and post my results once all is said and done.

leftoversalmon
10-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I found some time and contacted Savage yesterday. They are sending UPS to my house to pick up the rifle in the next few days. This is the information and requests that I am going to include with the rifle:

The rifle is primarily used with a suppressor. The threading was done by a local gunsmith.
My issues:

1.ACCU Trigger - The sear consistently doesn’t catch the trigger and the sear locks on the AccuRelease. The frequency of this increases as I set the trigger pull lower, and when I set the bolt down hard. It is even happening when I set the trigger pull to a heavier weight and set the bolt down hard. The trigger adjustment spring will also move out of adjustment and slowly works itself to a lighter trigger pull when I’m using the rifle.

2.Bolt/Ejection – The casing isn’t always thrown from the breach, about 40% of the time the casing just lays in the mag well/breach.

What I want:
1.ACCU Trigger – I want to be able to set the Accu Trigger to around 2 - 2.5 lbs. and have the rifle function 100% of the time no matter how fast and vigorously I work the action. If this means that the trigger needs to be replaced with the best Accu Trigger Savages offers that’s fine, and I’ll pay the difference. But ONLY if the rifle functions 100% of the time in the 2 – 2.5 range. If it doesn’t function 100% of the time then I don’t want to pay for an improved trigger that still fails, and I will instead buy an aftermarket trigger and correct the problem that way. Make sure that it doesn’t fail on hard bolt sets. I frequently do this and it is my biggest complaint with the trigger.
I don’t want the adjustment to be completely locked. Just offer me some sort of advice on how to temporarily hold it in place while not affecting the trigger.

2.Get it to eject more consistently. I don’t care if the brass fly’s a foot away from the rifle. I just don’t want to have to fish out brass anymore.

Other than that I love the rifle. The Accu-Stock is terrific and the accuracy of the rifle is very good. Thanks for your efforts.

(Address and Contact Information)

leftoversalmon
11-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Just to update the post. I got the rifle back from Savage. The bolt works flawlessly. It throws brass like a mo-fo. But I can't get the trigger down to 1.5 lbs. The spring hits its "stopping" point at 2.5 lbs which isn't terrible but its not 1.5. I did only request 2-2.5 so no biggy. I think im going to look into having the target version installed because ive realized a like a super light trigger and 2.5 isn't light enough.