PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage 93FV

Pages : [1] 2

titus2423
09-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

Don't post a whole lot here but I've done a lot of reading over the past 2 years about different Savage rifles. I already have a 200 Stevens in .270 and I love it. Now I'm looking into a rimfire and I've decided on getting a 93FV. I should be getting it either this weekend (finances permitting) or after rent gets sent out in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any insight or things I should look for with this rifle? I've read up about it and everything points to it being as reliable and accurate as any of the other Savages. Just looking to see if there are any quirks I've missed in my research. Thanks all.

TOP PREDATOR
09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
the biggest quirk is the stok, make sure it's free floated, even run some sandpaper on it. just like the centerfire stocks, the 93's tend to be "flexible" enough to rub. also the drop of the comb of the stock causes some eye alignment problems with some folks, me being one of the, so i added a cheekpiece.

for a nice replacement stock, check out boyd's tacticool stock.

other than that it's solid.

i'd like to suggest to you a Diversified Innovative Products (DIP) 25moa base, it's nice to know you have all the adjustment you need even before you put an opitc on it.

if you don't have the accutrigger model, a rifle basix trigger is well worth the investment.

i've have good luck with hornady 30 grain ammo, winchester supreme 34 gr. (black box), and cci 40 FMJ for turkeys and stuff that needs the penetration.

titus2423
09-20-2011, 09:56 PM
The Stevens I have still wears the synthetic stock. It flexes a little bit but she's still accurate enough for me. I don't think I would see much of a problem with this one. I will check for free-floating clearance; I actually did have to take a little material off. The FV is the bull-barrel/accu-trigger model so I'll be ok in that aspect.

I don't understand optic bases so what makes the DIP 25moa base any better than just a 2-piece base set? Thanks for the reply Predator.

TOP PREDATOR
09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
it basically "tips" the scope at an angle so you gain more adjustment when shooting longer distances.

with a .22 mag or .17hmr you should be good out to 200+, but it's nice to know you have the extra MOA if needed. also, there are optional places for you to mount the rings to take care of eye relief, clearances, etc. sometimes you run into not having enough room without hitting the objective bezel, or the center adjustment hub, depending on the scope and your eye relief.

if you get into running a level or tinker with cosine indicators, it gives you a place to mount the trinkets.

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Rimfire MOA Scope Bases

visually they look pretty cool...

egw

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/bases/bases011.jpg
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/MK%20II/MKIIBOLTCLOSEUP.jpg

DIP

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/bases/bases015.jpg
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/bases/bases021.jpg

i prefer the DIP due to the port cutout, the extra 5 moa, better screws, nifty SAVAGE engraved in it, etc.

titus2423
09-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Ahh ok. I don't think I'll be shooting out that far with this rifle when I get it. Then again, you never know. Ultimately I'll have to decide when I get it and out fit it accordingly. What about an optic itself? I have a Nikon on my deer rifle and it's nice glass but I don't know if I want to spend much more than $100 on a scope for it. Thoughts? I've seen where plenty of people have Tascos or Barskas on their rimfires because they get the zoom they want for less money.

bootsmcguire
09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Give one of the Tru-Glo's from Natchezss.com a try. I run a couple on centerfire guns and they seem to work good for the money. You can get a 6-24x50 or 8-32x44 for around $60 plus shipping. Again no Nikon, but for a rimfire should be just what the Dr. ordered.

JMHO

titus2423
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Awesome, thanks for the website. Slowly but surely I'm finding what I need for this rifle. I think to save a little money right now I'm going to stick with the bases that appear to come with it and just buy the scope and rings for it and just enjoy it. Once more money comes in, sell what I don't need and buy the better stuff.

titus2423
09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Another question guys..

I was looking at different scopes that I could put on the 93FV and if I were to use the bases that come on the rifle (for now) what is the biggest bell size I could use with medium rings? Low rings? Thanks again all.

bootsmcguire
09-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Mine wears a 32mm on med cheapo rings and just by looking I would say you could get a 42mm or maybe a 44mm to fit. I know that's not much help, but I got my 93fv used in a trade 6 or 7 years ago and it was wearing this 3-9x32 when i got it. For small game hunting and pest eradication I have not needed anything else so its all I have tried.

titus2423
09-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok, might be switching gears here. Still want to go with the 93 but might be in the 17hmr. Thoughts? I've done a lot of research on both calibers and the only downside I can see with that the 17 has the lighter bullets which means less energy upon impact. Again, thoughts?

bootsmcguire
09-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Wind drift will be a bigger factor with the 17.

titus2423
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that as well. Long range it wouldn't be an issue because the areas I hunt aren't THAT vast. Same with target shooting, I really only have 100 yd ranges around me.

bootsmcguire
09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
at 100yds I say pick your flavor. Accuracy should be very similar between the two in equal conditions. I would think the 22 mag would have a bit more thump with the heavier bullets. I guess just pick which one you think you'll like better and go for it. :)

titus2423
09-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Well, I think I'm going to get the 17. In that case, I'll have a reason to go and buy a bigger caliber when I want one. I mean, really...ya can't have too many guns in the cabinet can ya? :P

fivesomewhere
09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
I have the 93FV in a plastic stock chambered in .17HMR. This is a solid rifle, get your's and enjoy!

titus2423
09-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I have the 93FV in a plastic stock chambered in .17HMR. This is a solid rifle, get your's and enjoy!

Awesome, that's what I like to hear! Haha, anything in particular that sticks out to you that you would prefer over another rifle? I know I'm pretty intrigued by the accu-trigger and can't wait to use a rifle that has that trigger set-up on it.

fivesomewhere
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
This is the only rifle I have in .17 hummer, it's also the only .17 I've ever put my hands on. If I had to gripe about anything it would be the clip, I load four it chambers and shoots fine. Five not so good.

savatage
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
One of my favorite savages to shoot...Im on my 3rd 17HMR.It is the laminate stock/thumbhole version,with a heavy ss brl. You`ll love yours as we all do..Gary.PS its the 93R17 BTVS model...Like the one in my avatar.

titus2423
09-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I get to pick her up on Wednesday next week. I cant wait!

titus2423
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Finally was able to pick up my 17 yesterday. It's a plain-Jane 93R17 FV (synthetic stock, bull barrel, accu-trigger). I can't wait to shoot her but I have to get some money for a scope bases and rings. I'm pretty sure I have everything figured out. I'm going with a Mueller APV 4.5-14X40 scope, Weaver #16 bases and Burris 1" "high" scope rings. I found an equation on another message board and with this combination, I should have about .120" between the scope and barrel. Any suggestions? Comments?

Now for a couple pics...
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMAG0254.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMAG0256.jpg