PDA

View Full Version : Barrel removal help

Pages : [1] 2

eric_monster
09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I am making my first attempt at rebarreling a Savage 10. Having a heck of a time with the barrel nut. This may be a dumb question, but is the nut standard right hand thread?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

earl39
09-05-2011, 10:20 PM
YES also if you soak it in kroil for about 24 hours it will break loose easier. note i said easier not easy.

Gary

geargrinder
09-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Are you using an action wrench or barrel vise? I've never had good luck with a barrel vise.

eric_monster
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I have the Wheeler barrel nut wrench from Midway. I am making my own barrel vise out of hardwood blocks and a 12 ton press I have on hand.

Toyoda
09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I put the barrel in the vice (I made blocks from delron) and used a deadblow on the nut wrench. Once its free its easy but they have a gorilla tightening them up at the factory.

noelfr
09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
First time I tried this I was convinced I was going to screw up my gun forever. Kroil oil and an authoritive use of a bronze hammer turned out otherwise. Also pine tar (in baseball sports section) really helps the wood to grip the bbl. Good luck.

darkker
09-05-2011, 11:55 PM
I have had to get the dremel out and CUT the nut off. Got to the last hair of the nut, and heard the infamous metallic *TWANG*, then the barrel came right out.

eric_monster
09-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I have heard of a few others cutting off the nut. I am REALLY hesitant to go that route as I would like to try and sell the barrel and would be afraid that I would mess up the barrel.

emfour
09-06-2011, 12:16 AM
I did this in three painful steps:

Bought the barrel nut wrench and had it around for a year before needing it.

Bought the Barrel vise from Midway and thought I was all set. All it did was slip. I tried carpet tape, heat, kroil, swearing, dead blow hammer, a guy twice my size, head scratching, more swearing. No dice. The vise squeezing the tapered barrel was like trying to squeeze an ice cube with warm soapy hands, kind of.

Bought the action wrench from Midway. Used the barrel vise to hold the action still, blocked the nut wrench from turning with something stout, added about two feet of pipe to the action wrench handle and the nut finally came loose.

I should'a just bought it all at once and avoided all the frustration, but I was "saving money".

Good times.

jinx-)
09-06-2011, 12:45 AM
read this one, I spent 3 days trying, broke my vise and nut wrench in the process, but you might learn something from my experience http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,43288.0.html

stangfish
09-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Traction, traction, traction. I like the pine tar trick but I actually started using a piece of leather cut out of the backhand side of a work glove.
good luck. Oh Kroil never hurts. CRC has an orange can product that uses the same formula. Knock'er Loose.

jinx-)
09-06-2011, 07:04 AM
what you really need is the counter-lever, this can be achieved using action wrench, by pushing on it and pulling on the nut wrench at the same time.

stangfish
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Did anyone answer the Left hand Right hand question? ;D... Right hand thread.

MARK25-06
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
dont hold the barrel! hold the action . the nut tightens against the action not the barrel!! read all the other posts about holding the action. MARK25-06

MrMajestic
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Its been stated before, by SharpShooter i believe, it is tight because the condition of the recoil lug acts as a star type lock washer. You will see when you finally get it apart. I also prefer the action and barrel nut wrench combo along with the impact of a brass or steel hammer. The sharp blows break the bond caused by the galling of the surfaces.

Dirk
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
"That which does not destroy me, has made a hugh tactical error"

I think you mean HUGE

MrMajestic
09-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks Dirk! Corrected, stupid fingers!

handirifle
09-08-2011, 01:50 AM
I use the action wrench, and barrel nut wrench. When they are very hard to break loose, I insert my 1/2" drive of my 14" long
1/2" ratchet into the square hole and use the additional leverage to break the nut loose. haven't had one slip or fail to come free yet. Plus there is no hammering or jerkin the stuff around.

Werewolf
09-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I got really frustrated with my barrel blocks slipping, so I stripped the action, got a big freaking crescent wrench and taped off the jaws, jammed the recoil lug in the wrench, and placed the barrel nut wrench at a 90 degree angle to the crescent wrench. I laid the whole shebang on a section of carpet to protect the gun and gradually stepped on the barrel wrench ( make sure you are turning it in the correct direction!). The nut couldn't withstand the torque from 250 lbs of hillbilly backside and came loose fairly easy. After I broke the seal on the threads I put the gun back in the vise and finished the job. Anyone have any problem with this? Nothing ever touched the reciever to twist it this way and the nut came of a lot easier than all the grunting I did with the blocks.

eric_monster
09-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks everybody for the advise. Werewolf, I think I am going to try your method tomorrow. I am about on the verge of just taking it to a local gunsmith to just have the nut loosened. Not what I want to do. Especially when the rifle is designed to be end user serviceable.