PDA

View Full Version : Barrel removal help

Pages : 1 [2]

5spd
09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
One the 4 Savages Ive swapped bbls. on all I do is wrap elect tape about 7" forward of the action, clamp the barrel between 2 blocks of wood over the tape that I made to fit the bbl. I just use my standard 6" HD garage vice.
Wrench on (before putting blocks on) and give it a hard whap with my leather mallet and its never taken me more than 3 good hits.

jinx-)
09-08-2011, 08:45 PM
spray it with PB Blaster, then heat that barrel nut with propane torch as soon as PBlaster starts to bubble stop and spray it more, heat it up again, do this like 3 - 4 times, then let it cool, then put it in your barrel vise and give that nut a spin, mine broke loose very easy, but I spent like 3 days hammering it, which didn't do any good...

stangfish
09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I got really frustrated with my barrel blocks slipping, so I stripped the action, got a big freaking crescent wrench and taped off the jaws, jammed the recoil lug in the wrench, and placed the barrel nut wrench at a 90 degree angle to the crescent wrench. I laid the whole shebang on a section of carpet to protect the gun and gradually stepped on the barrel wrench ( make sure you are turning it in the correct direction!). The nut couldn't withstand the torque from 250 lbs of hillbilly backside and came loose fairly easy. After I broke the seal on the threads I put the gun back in the vise and finished the job. Anyone have any problem with this? Nothing ever touched the reciever to twist it this way and the nut came of a lot easier than all the grunting I did with the blocks.

I have done this on several myself.

earl39
09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I got really frustrated with my barrel blocks slipping, so I stripped the action, got a big freaking crescent wrench and taped off the jaws, jammed the recoil lug in the wrench, and placed the barrel nut wrench at a 90 degree angle to the crescent wrench. I laid the whole shebang on a section of carpet to protect the gun and gradually stepped on the barrel wrench ( make sure you are turning it in the correct direction!). The nut couldn't withstand the torque from 250 lbs of hillbilly backside and came loose fairly easy. After I broke the seal on the threads I put the gun back in the vise and finished the job. Anyone have any problem with this? Nothing ever touched the reciever to twist it this way and the nut came of a lot easier than all the grunting I did with the blocks.

I have done this on several myself.

Me too. I have a 15 inch crescent i use and just put a thin leather glove around the action.

eric_monster
09-09-2011, 03:50 PM
We have success!

I let some Kroil soak in for 2 days, then used Werewolf's method. The nut broke free and the barrel is off.

Thanks for all the tips and support guys. It is greatly appreciated.

Eric