PDA

View Full Version : Buying 8 custom barrels Need Help

Pages : [1] 2

pdkillr
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Like title says am getting 8 barrels, waiting on them for a few monthes is not an issue. Looked at all the makers and have it narrowed down to McGowen mainly because of there prices. However, have read some bad publicity about them. Does anyone know if they have fixed thier issues or am I going to regret dealing with them and wish I had just spent the extra to have them done right the first time? Just wanting standard chambering and stainless barrels for smaller calibers 223, 22250, 204 ect Prefit in Remington and savage and want them to clean up easy with little copper fouling. Not looking for benchrest accuracy, but of course want them to shoot really well. Would appreciate any offers and opinions, your not going to hurt my feelings.
Thanks ahead.

thirty06
08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Check out CBI barrels. Seems to be the best bang for the buck going.
Northland Shooters Supply in the Vendors Classifieds is the place to look.

dcloco
08-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Check your PM.

sinman
08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if they have fixed thier issues or am I going to regret dealing with them and wish I had just spent the extra to have them done right the first time?

There is a reason why I switched from Mcgowen to Shilen.

Dennis
08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I have 4 McGowen barrels and have no problem with them!

They are all naildrivers!

I have two more on order as of this post, and three other shooters who are waiting on their's!

Also search Pdog and MDM post's and see how their McGowen's are doing! I am sure you will find many more!

Dennis
08-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Devin, I sent an email on the 20th, did you get it?

5spd
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a McGowan SS bbl in 6x45 and its a tack driver. Its on my Savage FP10 action I built it for my 400 yard Antelope/coyote gun.
My 95g NBT load goes right at 2" at 400 yds.
It rarely has cooper buildup/fouling very easy to clean. When I got it I put my borescope in it and it was absolutly perfectly smooth with NO land/groove marks.
I would not hesitate to get another one from Jim at NSS.

Slowpoke Slim
08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I think I have 4 McGowens and I'm pleased with all 4. They shoot great, clean up easily, and don't copper foul and drop accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one when needed.

I also have 1 Shilen and 1 Lothar-Walther. They are equally good barrels. I wouldn't say my Shilen was better than my McGowens. About equal.

I have not tried a CBI barrel, but I admit they sure sound good.

sharpshooter
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM
If your gonna get 8 barrels, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Get 8 different brands and try them all.

jwv
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I bought 1 McGowan and will never again. Had serious chamber issues.

pdkillr
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys for all your help NOW I'm really torn. Getting some good and some bad, now I don't know what to do?

lostart
08-24-2011, 11:46 AM
sharpshooter gave you some wise advise ;)

I would buy two of each: Brux, PacNor, CBI, Shilen, and Lothar Walther

08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Once McGowen gets the order correct they seem to shoot, but it isn't worth the time wasted waiting on them to screw it up the first time and then waiting for them to get it right the next time.

2 each makes 10, he "only" wants 8! ;)

Dennis
08-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I know there were issues in 2009, but I was assured these issues are taken care of!

I do own Kreiger, Broughton, Douglas, and FACTORY Savage's that are naildrivers as well.

But I can't say anything but good about my 4 McGowen's. There are just as accurate as the above barrels.

PS: I am going to sell some of them before long!!!! Too many!

But when they are all shooting 1/4" groups, it's hard to get rid of any of them!!!!

seanhagerty
08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Why are you buying 8 barrels?

pdkillr
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Go pd shooting several times a year and most of the factory barrels are a bit__ to clean after shooting. Hand lapped custom should be much easier and last longer. The factory bbls shoot fine now, Will be selling them with pic of last group to help fund new bbl's.

DannoBoone
08-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys for all your help NOW I'm really torn. Getting some good and some bad, now I don't know what to do?

Go with the CBI barrels from Jim Briggs........hurry before the price goes up next month! I got both a CBI from Jim
and a McGowen direct from the factory. I will get more CBI barrels. As for the McGowen, I would like to find/know
the machinist who messed up an otherwise good barrel and shove the breech end up where the sun doesn't shine.
Same with the jerk who should have inspected it. I'll never get another McGowen barrel. And no, this was not back
in 2009, it was Jan 2011, this year.

I have a Shilen, Douglas, McGowen and the CBI. Of all them, the Criterion barrel leaves the least amount of
copper in the barrel from day one. I just wish they made larger calibers than .338.........that's the WORST thing
I can say about CBI! And it is bug-hole accurate.

Dennis
08-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting, I know people who stated the exact opposite regarding Criterion barrels!

So far, my luck has been good with "ALL" of my barrels!

08-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Dennis, they must not be on this site. I think I have read every review on here and there doesn't seem to be a single bad one any where. What are they saying in the negative about the CBIs?

I would like to get one or three to try myself, but can't afford it right now, and can only talk from experience on the 3 McGowen barrels I still own. I second the post by Danno, the person/s who did two they screwed up on need/s to be fired, and the guy(can't remember the name) who lied to me on the phone about what was really going on does too!

psharon97
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I got a Douglas barrel from SSS a couple years ago. My only complaint against them is that the rifle is now boring to shoot...every time you put the crosshairs on the target, thats where the bullet will go lol. ;D

This problem I have has driven me to build a 7mm remington magnum. I'm going to try out a Brux barrel from SSS this time.