PDA

View Full Version : Buying 8 custom barrels Need Help

Pages : 1 [2]

wbm
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Dennis, they must not be on this site. I think I have read every review on here and there doesn't seem to be a single bad one any where.

+1
I was at the retail store of ThirdGenerationShooting (aka Gene Sears Inc.) in El Reno Oklahoma recently and mentioned that I had a Criterion in 6.5CM...the guy said "I wish I had a barrel full of Criterions". Since most of the guys that work there build and shoot rifles I thought that was a fairly good review.!

DannoBoone
08-27-2011, 12:17 PM
the guy(can't remember the name) who lied to me on the phone about what was really going on does too!

I agree.

That would be Dan Wynne, who also lied to me on the phone. My last message to him (couldn't get to him
personally) on the phone was that I hoped the barrel had better quality than his word. It didn't.

Unfortunately, Mr. Wynne is the manager of the place and the owner does not seem to be a "hands on"
owner. Someone told me that the guy has a gun club somewhere in the Southeast. There are a couple
photos of him on the McGowen site, but his name is nowhere to be found.

So the chances of Mr. Wynne being fired and things improving at McGowen are slim-to-none. >:( >:(

Dennis
08-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I am going to post this mainly due to the above two statements from 319 & wbm.

As stated, I have many barrels that are tack drivers! One of my favorite is one I had Don Geraci build for me with a Krieger! I feel my other barrels are just as good. Sometimes I wonder why I just don't use Savage Factory barrels as they are some of my best!

I was thinking about buying a Criterion and as we are doing here, I asked questions about the barrel.

I don't think it would be proper to mention names, nor do I like really bashing anyone's products! Example, I personally purchase many products from SSS, some I have received quick, some took a little extra time, but I didn't make any negative statements concerning any of my transactions (app 10). And I currently have two current orders with SSS.

Maybe one Criterion slipped through the cracks as the one Danno purchased from McGowen! The only thing I will say, the one Criterion that slipped through went to a very well known shooter!

One fact is, everything manufactured will has a failure %, electronics (covers about everything made these day), anything machined, vehicles, etc.

If I can help anyone with a concern, I will glad to do so, Dennis

08-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Telling the truth isn't bashing. It is just telling the truth. I am happy with my McGowens, but very unhappy with the process to get them the way I ordered them. I am not defending CBI as I don't have one, but one bad review from one guy (no matter how good he is) isn't even close to all the bad reviews given by McGowen owners. I am not for or against any company, I just call em like I see em.

northlander
08-28-2011, 10:09 AM
It may be worth noting that Criterion builds barrels for more than one reseller and for several OEM accounts. I do know that several of the OEM accounts do specify a (less expensive) lower quality barrel. Point is, unless I order the Hand Lapped Match Grade Criterion's I would be selling an unlapped OEM Grade Barrel.

When I established the Savage and Remington Pre-Fits from Criterion, I asked for their best barrel first and pricing secondly. I can not speak for the OEM Grade Barrels that are manufactured at Criterion but the Stainless Match that I do order have been extremely high quality barrels. Having said that, anything that is manufactured can have an issue. If the company selling that product and the manufacturer work with the end users, those items that do sneak out are repaired or replaced in a very short turn around. Criterion has replaced one barrel in their first year of production. That is a "reject" rate of 0.002%. I have never worked with any company with this high of a quality acceptance level.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Dennis
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I do know that several of the OEM accounts do specify a lower quality barrel.

I can not speak for the OEM Grade Barrels that are manufactured at Criterion but the Stainless Match that I do order have been extremely high quality barrels. Having said that, anything that is manufactured can have an issue.

Yes Jim, a lot of people don't realize the above statement, and the same applies to several barrel makers!

The second statement, second sentence, also applies to all barrel manufactures!

Thanks for the statement, and I will look forward to doing business with you "again".

Dennis