PDA

View Full Version : Stockade gun stocks experience questions

Pages : [1] 2

rusty815
08-21-2011, 04:23 AM
hi everyone, you guys have been really helpful in making me understand how to customize my savage. now i just need some of you guys to convince me to buy a custom set from stockade gun stocks, i talked to kevin over the phone and he really helped me understand his work, now i need some of you guys to convince me to buy his products. :)

have any of you bought a stock from him? how does it hold up? did you go for the bottom metal as well?

he assured me that his work will be able to fit my savage 16 in 300 WSM, im probably going to buy the rollover cheek thumbhole, anyone buy this stock before?

rinodods
08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Except for the 16wk wait (expected) I had a good experience with him. I got the money saver version of the woodchuck. It wasn't at all hard to finish. I did bed it just because I enjoy doing the work. ;D I didn't go with the bottom metal but have seen photos and it looks alright. A quicker option might be a B&C medalist unless you really want that thumbhole. If you can stand the wait I say give it a go. I don't think you are going to get a bad product.

rusty815
08-21-2011, 07:39 AM
thanks, yeah that thumbhole really looks enticing to me, im planning on getting the moneysaver and keeping it the way it comes, its going to be taking a heck of a beating anyway since i go hunting in some really harsh terrain, figure it would be better unpainted.

the wait for the stock is about 3 months, but for the work, i think its worth it, ill probably do the glass bedding myself.

pdog06
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
You could always order a thumbhole laminate from Stocky's for about the same price as Kevins moneysaver, and you'd have a completely finished stock.

The moneysaver will have mold lines and such that will need sanded, bondo'd, etc to get it looking nice, and im sure Kevin would recommend atleast some kind of a sealer/clear on it as well.

I have his Prairiedog/Tactical stock and really like it, and ive had his Elkstalker thumbhole and a couple others and they are really nice.

rusty815
08-21-2011, 09:24 AM
im not all too impressed with the stockys stocks, at least not their left handed thumbhole stock. dont like the color schemes they use, i frankly like the simple flat black look.

modifying the stock isnt too big to me either, i have a fully custom made stock on my 1972 30-06 springfield that me and my father made, took us about 2 months to finish it. im more into the quality of the stock, what materials are used to make the stockys stock? kevin gave me a list of some impressive materials he used.

pdog06
08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
The Stocky's ones are laminate wood.

Sounds like the moneysaver from Kevin is just what you are after.

rusty815
08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
i like wood stocks, dont get me wrong, but i like composite stocks a bit more, what can i expect from the moneysaver?

Cover Dog
08-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Here is the stock you are thinking about buying. It is on a Savage "J" series action in 6mmAI.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,40462.msg280573.html#msg280573

rusty815
08-21-2011, 01:28 PM
thanks for the pictures, it looks nice, looks like what im looking for.

i just wish someone had a few pictures of a moneysaver stock with no modifications so i know what im in for.

Cover Dog
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
My stock was a money saver and your not in for much of anything to prep it for what you want to do to it. You will have to lightly sand off the release agent from the mold, and any imperfections will have to be filled with a body filler. Kevin told me exactly what to get at a body paint shop. He will also sell you enough to get the job done. You shouldn't have more then a couple of hours in it.

Samdweezel05
08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
What your in for is a mold line and air bubbles the full length of the bottom of the stock, right down the center. Same with the top of the butt. Tip of the forend will need to be finished. The tang section will need some work due to more air bubbles. Around the trigger guard will need to be smoothed out. it will need to be bedded to your action with out a doubt. If you don't do body work on a regular basis then you are looking at using the better part of a day just to get it ready for paint. Then you still need to paint it.

Cover Dog
08-21-2011, 08:11 PM
What your in for is a mold line and air bubbles the full length of the bottom of the stock, right down the center. Same with the top of the butt. Tip of the forend will need to be finished. The tang section will need some work due to more air bubbles. Around the trigger guard will need to be smoothed out. it will need to be bedded to your action with out a doubt. If you don't do body work on a regular basis then you are looking at using the better part of a day just to get it ready for paint. Then you still need to paint it.

WOW, your stock and mine were worlds apart.

Cover Dog

rusty815
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
yeah samd, sounds like yours was a bit of a lemon when you got it, but it sounds like you fixed it up real good.

nsaqam
08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I'd say you'd do well to seriously consider getting a McMillan instead of any Stockade.

The price for a finished stock is almost the same and the McMillan is actually cheaper if you wanted a camo pattern on your Stockade. The McMillan isn't available as an unfinished stock but the quality of the layup is so good that the colors can be molded into the resin and the surface is completely free of holes and voids which would require filling. The Stockade, as pointed out above, doesn't impregnate the glass cloth perfectly as it does with the McMillan.
You also have the issue of the full length aluminum bedding block on the Stockade. The McMillan relies on great design, great materials, and careful construction to obtain their legendary strength. The stocks with aluminum bedding blocks use the metal as a crutch to prop up poor build quality. There is also the issue of aluminum having 2 times the expansion/contraction of the steel action sitting in it.
Finally, there is the issue of resale value. McMillan wins this one by a long shot.

Just something to think about.

nrar15
08-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I have 7 of kevin's stocks on rifles and 3 more waiting for builds. Never had any big problems with the money saver stocks. Have only have 1 finished stock and it is great.

rusty815
08-21-2011, 10:00 PM
mcmillan stocks are a bit more expensive than the stockade stocks, i think stockade stocks are the best price point for quality, dont get me wrong, i was just looking through some of the stocks in mcmillan's inventory and they look quite impressive, but after reading the materials used to make their composite stocks, they arent all that different from stockade stocks.

im also planning on getting a DBM kit for my rifle, kevin told me he could put one on his stock and sell it to me for 400 dollars, that is with the thumbhole and such, which is a great deal seeing as how to get a similar set up using a mcmillan stock (similar in terms of materials, not finish) and getting a cdi bottom metal would cost me upwards of 700 dollars, thats a huge difference.

im not looking to resell the rifle either, its a great rifle and my first bought rifle (i have a custom weatherby rifle that was given to me, its right handed though and im left handed, which is why i got the savage).

frank1947
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I bought a stockaide stock the Benchrest model and had a 1.250 barrel put on with no barrel nut this stock was cheap and unfinished , just what i wanted (moneysaver) well worth it if you are good with sand paper and a dremel, once I dug the barrel channel out and set the Savage single shot target action i had blue printed with a Krieger barrel in a 30BR I built this just for competition Varmit For Score 200 yard , it dropped in so nice, some will tell you you have to glass bed well you dont it has pillars and at 200 yards 5 shot group .381 of an inch or .181 MOA, I have a Mcmillan coming and I doubt it will shoot any tighter unless there all in the same hole.

I also just today finished a stock from stocky stocks it is a long range Jimmy Hart I think bought it long time ago so I put pillars in and dug it out to handle target action and big barrel will test it tommorw.

rusty815
08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
so you didnt paint or prime it at all? did you fill in the needle sized holes it comes with?

if you havent painted or primed it, can you upload some pictures

frank1947
08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
mine is painted and i filled holes and then some

rusty815
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
alright, well i just got off the phone with kevin and he said its not a bad idea using the stock without paint or prime, so long as i fill in the holes it should be fine, he actually recommended that i do that, and if i feel like it i can just paint it later, guy is really cool.

needless to say, ive decided to buy his rollover cheek thumbhole money saver with the DBM bottom metal, a tactical bolt handle and a bolt lift kit.