Thread: The Spirit Bear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

I've been there and experienced the same feelings. Like you, a once in a lifetime hunting adventure for Alaskan moose and also a one time opportunity to shoot. The same decisions, do I or do I not? I chose not to and that grand bull moose lived on to father, I hope, many more like himself.

It was an easy decision with him standing brisket deep in a beaver pond, raking vegetation from the bottom with his massive rack, and nothing but short black spruce on surrounding muskeg to rely on getting for him out. That image is forever etched in my memory and I find solace in having done the right thing.

Thanks for sharing your experience, truly enjoyed your writing style.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I've been there and experienced the same feelings. Like you, a once in a lifetime hunting adventure for Alaskan moose and also a one time opportunity to shoot. The same decisions, do I or do I not? I chose not to and that grand bull moose lived on to father, I hope, many more like himself.

It was an easy decision with him standing brisket deep in a beaver pond, raking vegetation from the bottom with his massive rack, and nothing but short black spruce on surrounding muskeg to rely on getting for him out. That image is forever etched in my memory and I find solace in having done the right thing.

Thanks for sharing your experience, truly enjoyed your writing style.

Thanks Phil. I had another day or 2 to hunt...BUT...bad weather was definitely on its way and coming fast. In the end, like yourself (GOOD ON YOU SIR), I made the right decision. My bear squared out at 6' 11". Believe me when I say...that measurement fell way down on the list of what made that hunt GREAT.

I easily have a few dozen images from that hunt that I will hold onto forever...wish I could share them with everyone here.

If Johnny was still available, I would sell my car and walk everywhere just so I could hunt with him again. A true Professional...never a single moment wasted in his good company.

Be good Phil.

Cheers.

Basic Member
    Too long a read and too much vernacular clutter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Knowing it was long, I asked a few questions on this Forum before posting. Folks requested it so I posted. Thank you for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Knowing it was long, I asked a few questions on this Forum before posting. Folks requested it so I posted. Thank you for the feedback.
    'Don't mind prdatr, he's probably one of those youngin's who has the attention span of a gnat from spending far too much time in his formative years surfing Facebook, Snap-Chat and Tic-Tok.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    'Don't mind prdatr, he's probably one of those youngin's who has the attention span of a gnat from spending far too much time in his formative years surfing Facebook, Snap-Chat and Tic-Tok.
    Thank you J.Baker. I tried to answer him constructively. Thought about my response last night. In the end...............it's just one man's true story.......told the best he could in his own language. No apologies needed.

Cheers.

What a great story and well told! But for the list of jobs as a youth (mine replaced bus boy with fur trapping) and the hunt (I chose Africa over Alaska but it was close) our story is the same. I really enjoyed your tale and the telling of it! Thank you for sharing it with us.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Thought about my response last night. In the end...............it's just one man's true story.......told the best he could in his own language. No apologies needed.