Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
I have two of these stocks on a pair of model 10 223 varmint rifles. Both have McGowan varmint barrels and I had to sand out the barrel channel in both to make the barrels fit, no problem, I expected that.

I got a little overzealous with the action screws in one of them and cracked the web of the stock between the screws. At that point the rifle shot like crap. I cleaned out the wood at the crack and filled it in with epoxy then I pillar and epoxy bedded the action. Problem fixed. Be careful not to over torque those screws or you will crack the stock.

My repairs worked so well that I went ahead and pillar and epoxy bedded the action into the second stock. Both rifles are now tack drivers and with that huge stock, varmint barrel and tactical scope each weighs 13 1/2 pounds. (rock chucks don't mind though)

I had tried a Boyd's At-One stock and did not like it at all because the comb and butt pieces were not solid. (I'm willing to sell that stock) Both of my Pro-Varmint stocks are fitted with the adjustable cheek piece and extra LOP to fit me better and I really like them.
I have mine torqued to 35 in.lbs front 25 rear. How much did you have yours set to when it cracked?

The At-One caught my eye initially, but I decided I like the more traditional look and fit of the Pro Varmint better and it's very close to the HS Precision stock on my Savage 10.