This was a long time coming. The top tier bipods out there are just one of those things I won’t spend the money on! Dropping $300 on a Bipod goes against every thread of my being! For one: it’s nothing more than a rest for the rifle. It doesn’t do anything special, regardless of the dohickies & jeeblestbey are designed with. And a second point of contention, I knew I could build a better unit with much better materials, at a fraction of the cost! So I finally did just that.

Started with some 2024-T3 Billet Aluminum. I’ve had this large piece of stock for some time. I then ordered some 3.5mm Carbon Fiber Plate & 16mm Tube, with a 12mm diameter 6AL4V Titanium rod. Also some rubber feet & all Titanium hardware.

Cut/machined the Aluminum into the blocks I needed. The CF plate & Tubing, and Ti rod were cut in halves. Also cut a section of Titanium to be used as a spigot. I’m a big fan of using a Bipod spigot to get the it further forward. I machined one end, drilled & tapped m5 thread for a QD lever Picatinny clamp & fixed with Ti flat head screws.

A leg nearly completed. Just need to drill/tap the Ti rod & mill a slot for adjustment.

a view from the top of the leg. Shows the Ti screw to retain the CF tubing.

Very nearly finished. Can anyone visualize what I’m going for hear? The body actually consists of 2 of the Carbon Fiber plates, as is under the Aluminum blocks. The TWO are glued together for machining, drilling holes. So everything is perfectly aligned.

This is such a fun project. Quite a bit of “next level” machining involved. I’m so thankful to have this knowledge & ability. I certainly can’t afford ALL the top tier parts I want. It’s so satisfying to be able to build not only an “equal” quality part, but something that surpasses even a $400 Bipod.