With the exception of shooting to 300M with a peep sighted M-16 when I was 19 and had good eyes, I am SuperNoob as far as scopes and LR shooting; I've not shot over 100yds in almost 30 years. The Bushnell on the Savage at the moment is about 25 years old and has glass as clear as a Coke bottle (well, maybe...) Once I scope this Savage, that's probably it... I don't obsess with everything new and improved, I like what works, and I don't really have any other rifle to swap scopes around on.

Based on comments above...

I buy reloading components in bulk... so 1-2K bullets, 8-16lb powder at a time. My handloads I fired this past weekend shot better than the FGMM I use as my benchmark.

I don't hunt, at least I won't be with this rifle.

I'm not against Leupold scopes, and now that I know how to compare them to other equivalent scopes, I see they are right in there, price-wise. Interesting. 442, I see the VX3i you are talking about...

I assumed there was a downside to SFP, I see that is the case. Ok, Ok... I'll make sure the turrets and the reticle match.

The particular review I read was on the Burris XTR, so I was sort of curious about it. As far as Burris scopes, a friend of mine has a XTR 1-4x24... decent enough scope, if not the brightest, but I blame that on the small lens. It sucks at 100yds.

My eyes are not the best, I have a very hard time with visual focus looking through a dim scope (my Bushnell) at a dim target... that's why I'm trying to find the best glass I can afford. Magnification helps... I put 3 rounds into 1/2" at 100yds with my friend's RPR with the SIG 24x scope with ease (I think I had it set at about 18x.)

Off to go research what I've learned so far...