Hey guys, Mike Britton here.
Been forever since I was last on, Life,cancer, grandkids...
I'm going to sell an AR to finance rebarreling my 110L lefty from .30-06 to 6mm Remington. We may have had this conversation months ago, lots of chaos at my house so please bare with me.
The 110 in question is a very early, I'm guessing 1958 110L lefty, 4 digit serial number. That means the barrel doesn't attach and headspace like a modern 110.
My question to you guys is....Is there something I can tell gunsmiths about how this barrel mounts that will relieve some of their anxiety about the fact that this action is different from a modern action? I've had local gunsmiths categorically tell me "I don't work on the early model Savages!".
Something like "The barrel mounts like a Remington", or "the barrel faces off to the front of the receiver". I'm struggling finding gunsmiths in the area who know anything about the early (old) model 110's.

I went on ER Shaw's website and they seem somewhat vague, but I get the impression that they know what's going on as they say that on "old models" they square the face of the receiver. That tells me they know the difference.
I'm tempted to let them do this job, I've had several of their barrels, and they are accurate. But I'm not keen on sending the barreled action off in the mail.
I'd like to change this old fellow from the factory lightweight .30-06 barrel to a varmint weight 6mm Remington, something I might actually shoot on occasion.

At 76 and dealing with bladder cancer my hunting days are over, but I still enjoy punching paper at 100 yards, and a varmint 6mm would be awesome for that.
I'd like your thoughts on how to explain to gunsmiths, many whom weren't even born when this rifle was made how to work on it.

Thanks a bunch, glad to be in a spot where I can get back to you guys! I've missed the conversations! Mike