Thread: Thompson Center coming back?

Thompson Center coming back?

I've been seeing some things pop up online about TC planning to be back in business. Anyone aware of any buzz about that?

The only thing I have seen was from about 3 years ago when Smith and Wesson where making plans to sell the Brand. I have not heard anything recent about the sale or the resurrection of the TC products. It is sort of exciting seeing how important of a niche they controlled.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I've been poking around a little and it's the real deal. I had a conversation with someone who was able to link credible sources and follow up with specific information.

Check out the Thompson Center Fans FB group page which was closed down awhile back but was reinstated yesterday and check the Thompson/Center FB page. There are new posts featuring teaser videos.

Apparently the big announcement is scheduled for tomorrow and details will be filling in soon.
    Pretty wild!!

FROM their FB Page
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Yep! I had quite a conversation with Marty from Haus of Arms yesterday. Apparently there's been a lot of action over the last few months and though not much information was being made public, he has connections and was able to piece together the puzzle. They've got partners lined up for manufacturing and distribution. Don't know when things will start happening but Encore frames and barrels and probably Contender barrels and maybe G2s are on the agenda.

Team Savage
    OH goodie ... I LIKE my G2s need two more at least YEAH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    OH goodie ... I LIKE my G2s need two more at least YEAH !!!!
    I'm still a die-hard original Contender fan. TC will never make them again but I hope SSK continues with the SSK-50.
    Though, I guess if new G2s come on the market, the market for used Contender frames may open up a little, as well. I doubt that we'll go back to the days when we could get a used frame for $250, but between the availability of the SSK and maybe new G2s there should definitely be downward pressure on the older frames.
    One thing that may end up being interesting is that apparently there's at least a peripheral connection with Hornady. It would be very cool if that meant there might be some development of new single-shot (rimmed) chamberings and ammo or production of good single-shot bullets.

In a time where arms are under attack, this is exceptional news.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Hoping they will get back into production & go full steam ahead on making quality products...would love to see Contenders & Encores
    back into production.

But, really hoping their efforts will be to keep quality up, and that they do NOT plow headfirst into an attempt to make the cheapest tupperware bolt guns they can to get a piece of the economy-bolt-gun market.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    Hoping they will get back into production & go full steam ahead on making quality products...would love to see Contenders & Encores
    back into production.

But, really hoping their efforts will be to keep quality up, and that they do NOT plow headfirst into an attempt to make the cheapest tupperware bolt guns they can to get a piece of the economy-bolt-gun market.
    Word has it that the Encore will be definitely be a main focus. That's the market that's been severely underserved. SSK has the original Contender covered and they may or may not want to compete with that by offering the G2 but the Encore was apparently more popular by orders of magnitude than either the G2 or Contender.

Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    I'm still a die-hard original Contender fan. TC will never make them again but I hope SSK continues with the SSK-50.
    Though, I guess if new G2s come on the market, the market for used Contender frames may open up a little, as well. I doubt that we'll go back to the days when we could get a used frame for $250, but between the availability of the SSK and maybe new G2s there should definitely be downward pressure on the older frames.
    One thing that may end up being interesting is that apparently there's at least a peripheral connection with Hornady. It would be very cool if that meant there might be some development of new single-shot (rimmed) chamberings and ammo or production of good single-shot bullets.

I'm cautiously optimistic, since this is the same guy that sold out TC for a fast buck to S&W in the first place. Part of me wonders if this whole thing isn't another scheme to prop TC up "just enough" as a house of cards to be able to turn around and sell it again, before anyone realizes it's all smoke and mirrors.

I'd love to see TC bring back all their legacy muzzleloaders but I know that will never happen. There's probably only 800-1000 people (I'm one of them btw) that would even be remotely interested in that product line anymore. Certainly not enough for them to build and produce all the machinery and production line staff and equipment to build those products again. All of that production equipment is long gone, as are the people that performed all that manual work by hand.

I'd also love to see a TCR again. I never had one back in the day, but I always thought they were cool. Hopefully the G2 makes a comeback, sounds like the Encore will, but that doesn't excite me much. But G2 production means Contender barrel production, which also helps us original Contender guys. Maybe they'll try to generate some excitement by coming out with some new "whizzpopper" round that magically slays dragons and zombies, or whatever, and we get a new cartridge case to play around with.

I hope the connection to Hornady is a strong one. I'd love to see Hornady bring back their line of SSP bullets. I'm still jealously guarding my small horde of 6mm SSP bullets (so much so I hate to take them to the range and shoot them-lol).
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic, since this is the same guy that sold out TC for a fast buck to S&W in the first place. Part of me wonders if this whole thing isn't another scheme to prop TC up "just enough" as a house of cards to be able to turn around and sell it again, before anyone realizes it's all smoke and mirrors.
    Those same thoughts crossed my mind as well.

I had a long conversation with Marty at Haus of Arms and he was aware of a pretty strong coalition of partners involved in the whole thing and not just Ritz. Besides, given the lack of ultimate success that S&W had with the acquisition and operation of TC, how many big industry players would be interested in TC 2.0?

Basic Member
    As an enthusiast in this game with both feet any news of this nature is very interesting. As a person who now lives among the hordes of "mag dumpers" I couldn't imagine investing my own dollars into the project as there seems there would be a myriad of ways with higher probability to make buck.

There is definitely a lot of nostalgia here personally: live in NH, had personal friends working for TC, brother-in-law was a manufacturing quality consultant to TC's casting operation, frequenter of the Fox Ridge and have been welcomed in the front door of manufacturing with a handshake for something as mundane as replacement sights. Probably 15-20 years ago at a low point of the public's interest and the locale being saturated with product purchased my last used but minty original Contender frame at Kittery Trading Post for $135. So yeah this is interesting and I hope it succeeds. In these days of $100/brick primers we need more TC shooters/fewer Glock shooters!