Thread: Hunting ethics...imho

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I share your sentiment, why does everything have to be a contest?
    Don't quote me on this..........I recently watched a program on hunting in Africa where they are making a serious move...asking the hunters to consider skipping the "trophy' animals and taking the older animals. I thought this was a great idea putting the hunt first, the animal harvested second. A new member here, one of my first posts was the story about my Bear in Alaska. Anyone who reads my story on that hunt, has to know the incredible hunt came first and my bear second. Yes, I was pleased that Johnny & I found a good Bear. But - the hunt itself - impossible to measure how GREAT it really was.

NOT preaching to anyone here...just expressing one man's humble opinion.

Most folks who go to Africa for a hunt these days are more than happy to do cull hunts rather than trophy hunts. It's only the very elite-types who will insist on a trophy hunt, and I imagine there are very few remaining PH's who will accommodate those types. Pretty much all hunting in Africa is now on private game preserves, meaning the preserves own their animals and they are managing the quality of their herds the same as we do for deer and elk here. The PH's and preserve managers want to weed out the older bulls and cows who may not actively reproduce anymore but are still dominant over their herd keeping the younger bulls from breeding the cows, and/or they want to weed out those that are genetically inferior so that they aren't breeding and continuing those lesser genetic traits.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Most folks who go to Africa for a hunt these days are more than happy to do cull hunts rather than trophy hunts. It's only the very elite-types who will insist on a trophy hunt, and I imagine there are very few remaining PH's who will accommodate those types. Pretty much all hunting in Africa is now on private game preserves, meaning the preserves own their animals and they are managing the quality of their herds the same as we do for deer and elk here. The PH's and preserve managers want to weed out the older bulls and cows who may not actively reproduce anymore but are still dominant over their herd keeping the younger bulls from breeding the cows, and/or they want to weed out those that are genetically inferior so that they aren't breeding and continuing those lesser genetic traits.
    Well said Mr. Baker. Thanks for a better explanation.

IF I ever, finally get the opportunity to go to Africa - it will be because I WANT TO GO TO AFRICA. To see Africa. To experience Africa. OR - go back to Prince of Wales Island and do another Bear hunt in Alaska. Take my good friend with me. For every minute of the hunt.

Cheers.