Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
Mr. Sills....

Excellent post.

For many decades - when rifle scopes were poor and NO one was doing any dialing...we were all "holding over" with the center of our reticle. JOC's cardinal recommendation was 3" high at 100 for this very reason and why he felt so strongly about his flat shooting 270 Win. I followed that recommendation for many decades with no complaints. .270 / 7 Rem Mag / .280 AI / 300 Win. Using holdovers, always trying to get the flattest trajectory possible. Game fell dependably.

A totally new chapter in my life...target shooting and dialing. I'm learning. Dialing pros / cons / advantages, etc, etc. A very sharp learning curve at the moment. For target work and longer distance Coyote - I'm now using the 6.5 Creed primarily based on its accuracy reputation. Not discounting the 6mm's by any means. Just my personal choice. Take away the dialing - I'd be back to the 6mm for all the good reasons you cite.

I have NOT abandoned hold-overs. Presently learning the dialing thing with MILs. TBD.

Thanks again. Enjoyed reading your post.
Practice dialing in it will enhance your hold up shots. However, how do you dial a turret on a live 4 legged target coming to you or going away speeds from 10-35mph? I used the 6mm as an example to similar 100 plus grain rounds in other calibers like the .308 and you 6.5. You pick the right bullet and do load development and fur damage will be nominal.