Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
I've been using a 243 for deer and coyote for a very long time.
The 70 grn Nosler BT's I use are overkill for the distances I hunt in the varied terrain of NY state, so I've been dabbling with .20 caliber wildcat cartridges the last decade.
I hunt solely with thermal optics and rarely hunt them in the daylight, so I try to keep my shots within 100 yards.
The 6.5 CM is a great caliber for stretching your killing range opportunities, but you also need to know your limits in the conditions your hunting or pretty soon you'll be hunting coyote with a 338 Lapua !

SJC
Shoots...

Just one of the most important lessons learned at the LR school was to make sure you followed through with each shot. Seeing your POI. So you knew what to do with the next round. Won't always have a spotter to assist. This took some doing and was an excellent lesson. A work in progress. It improved my shooting during class. Had my goal been strictly LR target work, I might have chosen a larger caliber / cartridge?? For follow through purposes tho......likely would have required a brake. Admittedly, I'm old school and used to shooting with no brake or suppressor. Voraciously reading about all this........it seems I'm way behind a lot of LR shooters. But, IMO, on the right path. AND...the cartridge had to work in my Coyote hunting.

I did NOT choose the 6.5 C impulsively and, after a lot of study, FULLY understand it's limitations. I'm balancing a bunch of variables / rifle priorities. The Creed simply checked the most "to do list" boxes for me. Nothing more than that. I'm confident the cartridge will do all I ask of it and more. Up to me to extract its potential.

Here's the big hurdle...

Right now, I'm looking up a very steep hill........moving from MOA (60 years) to MIL...from a SFP to a FFP scope. Hoping I live long enough to learn all this.

I appreciate our discussion. Have a good day.