Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Interesting. Fuj’, what would you call the differences between long rang & short range bullets? I’ve only ever thought of bullets as high BC or not. As a bullet reaches full velocity in the barrel & starts to decelerate the instant it leaves the barrel, what makes a bullet behave better at short range vs long range?
Your killin' me here Dave.....LOL Short game. BC is irrelevant. What I mean by that is; as ranges got longer so did
the boat tail bullets with there VLD and hybrid shapes. Shapes changed in the ballistics from a tangent ogive which
is a shorter bullet, to a secant ojive, and the hybrid is a mix of the two. In the same grain weight, a bullet with the
secant ogive will be longer and needing more twist to stabilize. More twist, more barrel torque in the bags. Longer
secant bullets are not as easy to find accurate seating depth as a tangent ogive bullet. A tangent bullet is generally
into the lands for its accuracy......You will find that in the short game, flat base bullets are used. Take a 30 BR with a
112 / 118 flat base bullet. Barrels are generally well under 24 inchs running 17 to 18 twist barrels. They will shoot
in the ones, and is one of the top "Score" rifles, where the 6ppc with its flat based bullets is the top "Group" rifle.
Either way, high BC bullets do not work in 300 yards and under. You'll get you head handed to you.