Thread: Quick Change barrel parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did you PMI the OEM parts to ID the material and did you test OEM for hardness? The millwork on the recoil lug looks cnc. Did the machinist reserve the right to manufacture and sell parts? Again Really nice to see someone take this on.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Did you PMI the OEM parts to ID the material and did you test OEM for hardness? The millwork on the recoil lug looks cnc. Did the machinist reserve the right to manufacture and sell parts? Again Really nice to see someone take this on.
    HAAS750SS mill and CNC lathe did all the work.
    Didn't check anything on the factory parts but the dimensions and since they were sloppy, we tightened them up a bit.
    We used certified hardened material, so I'm not worried about the strength, but I did put a few flak jackets over the rifle and used a string for the first couple of high pressure rounds I fired during range testing.
    My friend owns a small but well equipped machine shop and I was there to help design, test and make the jigs needed, plus pay for all of the tooling + material.
    All this occurred when we both had the spare time to work on the project and when the machines weren't being used between jobs, which was usually very late at night.
    That's why it took a long time to complete and why I won't ask my friend for anything.
    I'll talk to my friend about coming up with a price for the parts while we're coyote hunting this weekend.